VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, my Mum wants me to pick up her friend and dog and bring them down to see her. About 70 miles, its a medium sized dog with short hair.... my immediate response has been no! Feel pretty harsh about it...

Do you guys own dogs and take them in your R? Am I right in saying no, after all hot food doesnt go in my car.... my fat Dad doesnt go in my car.. I barely take people in the back...

Responses welcomed!

·
Soon to be Naked Member
3,836 Posts
I have two dogs, a rhodesian ridgeback & a black lab. I bought a Landrover to transport them around. My mums lucky to go in my car and I won't let my grandad in it cos he touches buttons. You'll be vaccing hairs out for months, don't do it!!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust you to bring sage counsel! Im also worried about claw marks on the leather as the boot will be full....

·
Soon to be Naked Member
3,836 Posts
I don't know what sage counsel is. Should I? And yes I was going to say about paws on leather but assumed you would be transporting it in the boot so that's even more of a reason not to do it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, means wise advice.... its a shit sandwich and im stuck in the middle! Do they stay in the boot if you put them there and remove the parcel shelf?

·
2,803 Posts
no no no no NO!!!!!!

Claws go through leather, unfortunately I know first hand. Even if you put it in the boot, you can only hope it wont hope over into the back, which was exactly what my dog did. I only had him because it was urgent and nobody else was around to take him to the vet.

It will stink, and there will be hair everywhere.

Its not your dog anyway, and I doubt the owners would compensate you for any damage or mess.

70 miles is also way too far to bring a dog in the car, especially in the boot of an R!

It will be sick or at least dribble everywhere, which stains!

Just dont!!!!!!!!!

·
1,060 Posts
I had to transport my two dogs in my R for three months. Their paws did no damage to the leather although I had everything covered in blankets and the rear seats removed. There was still hairs everywhere and dog snot on the windows!! Eventually I could stand it no longer and got a MK3 Golf as a runaround and 'dog car'.

Don't be fooled about short haired dogs -they're worse than the long haired ones when it comes to cars. My Jack Russells shed short stiff hairs which jam into fabric and carpet and are a nightmare to get rid of. Don't do it -get a hire car for the day instead!!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no no no no NO!!!!!!

Claws go through leather, unfortunately I know first hand. Even if you put it in the boot, you can only hope it wont hope over into the back, which was exactly what my dog did. I only had him because it was urgent and nobody else was around to take him to the vet.

It will stink, and there will be hair everywhere.

Its not your dog anyway, and I doubt the owners would compensate you for any damage or mess.

70 miles is also way too far to bring a dog in the car, especially in the boot of an R!

It will be sick or at least dribble everywhere, which stains!

Just dont!!!!!!!!!
Cheers for the responses guys, you have only strengthened my fears...

·
2,803 Posts
Not being funny, but why does the dog have to come?

·
409 Posts
split if you like your mom do it.

cars come and go but moms dont. if you dont do it youll never hear the end of it. if you do do it will mean the world to her

stick the dog in the back and remove the shelf and put some sheets over the seats or rubber gloves over the dogs paws

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ Oliver - Ive put this forward, apparently no one to look after it.

·
3,242 Posts
Ok
Am guessing yer over 25 and fully comp
Get a shot of someone car then get yer mum or whoever your picking up to cover the fuel and mini valet(if needed)
Sorted Happy days as
.:R No used
Mum, her pal & the dog are getting took on the travel

Regards
Vrt

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
318 Posts
I have a cocker spaniel who I take for weekly rides in my R - she rides shotgun next to me and i've never had a problem with dog hair or claws going through my recaro's ! I cover my passenger seat with a large bath towel and she just sits there good as gold !

My missus' hair causes more of an issue than my dogs !

You could give the dog a brush before it gets in to remove any loose hairs !

·
1,415 Posts
I can't wait to show this thread to my mrs tonight! Our French Bulldog is banned from my R! I love him to bits,but god forbid,apart from a true emergency,his drooling,moulting,chewing & farting little arse will never call my car home!! I'm smiling as I imagine her response to all you guys answers to the question! It's just not going to happen,stick to your guns fella,it's an unreasonable request IMO,& should be treated as such!!!
Your frenchie sounds just like my 2 Boston terriers!
There not allowed in the R,that's what the Tourans for

·
2,490 Posts
I own a springer spaniel..first mod(haha) on my car was a VW dog guard,£75 IIRC.
Doesnt look cool,but better than the seats being trashed..And its only a 2min job to fit or remove.
With most dogs once they realize they cant get out of the boot they just go quiet.
TBH the dogs only been in mine twice ever,we usually use the wifes Rav.
If you were near me you could borrow my guard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.