VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all

Thought i would register on here and say hi as hoping to purchase an R in the very near future, just sold my MKIV GTi and due to a job move means that the R is a sensible prospect. Will be selling the others halvs car too as we only work about 5 mins from home meaning we can have one 'nice' car!!!

Had a browse around and it would seem there aren't many reported problems with the R - my biggest concern is the prospect of them being driven to within an inch of their lives every weekend around a track or similar!?!?!?! Is there any tell tale signs of a neglected example??

I would hope that when we are in a position to buy that we could buy one from this here site as i know that owners club cars are 100% more looked after than average schmoe on the street.

One query the other half has is how hard the ride is, now i and she knows that its inherrent due to the type of car it is and the fact she will only drive it a couple of miles a day doesn't really matter but she wants to know so can anyone help?? We previously had a BMW 320TD Compact with the Sports pack on and then a BMW 318Ci Sport Convetible - i can't imagine the R will be too much harsher than these will it??

The other half works for the local VW garage which is always handy so looking after it and keeping it in tip top condition should be a breeze plus one of the master technicians has offered to come along to look at any we see for sale which is a bonus.

Reckon we should have 15k to spend which on looking at some of the ads should pick us up a real nice example, prefer to have blue and would rather half leather but other than that i am open to options.

So hello to everyone and hopefully will be joining you at a meet soon.......:driver:

Cheers

Sy

·
1,084 Posts
Morning Sy,

Welcome aboard! :top:

I can't comment on the Mkiv R32 (or BMW) suspension, but most seem to say that the MkV gives a smoother ride (therefore feels less involving). Tell the Mrs that the local bus company have nice soft suspension on their vehicles! :tomato: :flowers:

It's also worth checking on other forums classified sections such as Pistonheads or Tyresmoke.net. There are a couple of minters on here for sale, as I'm sure you've already noticed.

My other advice is to be prepared to travel for the right car. Ask as many Q's as possible on the phone first to eliminate wasted journeys... and a viewing is also about evaluating the owner as well as the car.

Happy shopping...

·
3,732 Posts
welcome to the site :ciao:

Had a browse around and it would seem there aren't many reported problems with the R - my biggest concern is the prospect of them being driven to within an inch of their lives every weekend around a track or similar!?!?!?! Is there any tell tale signs of a neglected example??
most cars havent done any real miles yet really so they should be in reasonable condition. the car is very well built so reliability is excellent. just be observant, if the front of the car is completely peppered with stone chips the car has probably had a fast life, but the car is designed to take it, however just use your eyes to guide you. check over the paint, the sides of the seats for wear usual kind of stuff. make sure all of the wheel change kit is there and that its had EVERY service from a reputable garage, hpi it too - if your other half works at a garage she may be able to do that for free

One query the other half has is how hard the ride is, now i and she knows that its inherrent due to the type of car it is and the fact she will only drive it a couple of miles a day doesn't really matter but she wants to know so can anyone help?? We previously had a BMW 320TD Compact with the Sports pack on and then a BMW 318Ci Sport Convetible - i can't imagine the R will be too much harsher than these will it??
the ride can be a little harsh depending on the road surface, but with a car like this its par for the course. i cart the wife and kids round daily and no complaints - only car sickness sometimes from the kids in the back but i live amoungst twisty lanes and the car is built for handling primarily and comfort second. when the mrs had a sore neck the car didnt help, but the car handles so well you wouldnt want it any other way :D

The other half works for the local VW garage which is always handy so looking after it and keeping it in tip top condition should be a breeze plus one of the master technicians has offered to come along to look at any we see for sale which is a bonus.
you cant really go wrong if youve got an expert on tap!

Reckon we should have 15k to spend which on looking at some of the ads should pick us up a real nice example, prefer to have blue and would rather half leather but other than that i am open to options.
blue is the fastest colour :D

the cars came pretty well spec'd from factory but there are options to be had such as satnav, cruise, sunroof. but you could be waiting a long time to get the exact combination. i sacrificed having a sunroof to get my 5dr, i had been looking for ages

£15k should see you get a very nice car :top:

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tokyo Dub and Very Cherry thanks for the warm welcome and helpful pointers. I have been reading some older posts too where people have asked similar questions.

Being a VW i would presume the build quality is good, were there any improvements made through the few years the R was on sale?? I think i read somewhere they added lumbar support but other than that it would seem from first sale to last sale they stayed the same. Looking at some of the classifieds there is quite a price variance from 12k to 15k and the mileage doesn't seem to reflect the different prices???

I think with regard to the ride the other half will be fine plus those Konigs look uber comfy to me!!!!

Are they any 'must do' mods for the R which improve it or is it personal choice mods?? I would like to hope we could buy one with a Milltek on already as that is something i would defintiely like to add. Seems there is also some driveability improvements to be had through a remap which suprpises me as they are NA!!!

All in all it looks such a great package - think the other half is speaking to their used car buyer to see if he can keep his eyes peeled - think i am right in saying if we buy through VW we should get 2 yr warranty???

Sorry about the questions just good to know these things in advance, one last thing is te owners club affiliated to any insurers or does anyone recommend a good R insurer??

Cheers

Sy

·
3,732 Posts
waranty thru vw will depend on your haggling skills, mine only stretched to 1 year (which you get anyway)

mod wise, everything is personal choice really, although make sure the car has had or gets the 6463 update (enter 6463 into the search box for loads of threads about it). in a nut shell it prevents hesitation and gives a much smoother power delivery and is free under vw warranty. other than that the world is your oyster mod wise

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for a swift and informative reply - how refreshing it is to join a form where the replies to threads are actually of some use!!!!!

I have seen on R advertised which stated it had factory fitted extra of 8 speaker audio - was this not standard??

I noted the 6463 update - thinki read somewhere if the car is remapped it overwrites this - guessing thats ok?!?!?!

Sy

·
3,732 Posts
sometimes remapping needs to take into account the 6463 absence or precence, but if its remapped your usually ok but check which software you have and who installed it so that you can solve issues if they arise unlike some members who have bought chipped cars but no idea what the chip is nor the software involved

as far as i know the only stereo upgrade on the mk4 was the addition of the oem satnav unit

·
3,732 Posts
maybe i should have rephrased that as head unit options but not speaker ones.

i might be wrong, dont think i am, but often proved wrong :D

·
1,184 Posts
R32Sy said:
Morning all

Hi mate and welcome.:hello: Just to give you my spin, the mrs had a mk iv 1.8 gtiT and now drives a cooper s. I had a clio cup before, and in comparison to all these cars, my mrs PREFERS the ride in the .:R. Golf was too floaty and bouncy, clio hard as a rock which I didn't mind, and cooper S not bad cut still bouncy even on standard 17s. To cherry on the bun for you and your argument, she is eight months gone and feels every tiny bump thro her bump!:damnmate:
Blue all the way to the bank, and 15k should find you a sweet cherised example. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts