VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home last night at 12 midnight.
was ready to go southend today at 2pm...

got to the car and BINGO!
my bmw front and rear plates have been pinched.

pissed since i got to go and get some new plates made and, yep still need to go southend today...

anyways,
just wondering, when plates get nicked, how often do coppers or petrol station people check if your the rightful owner?

seems like now ill get pulled over more often

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
I had mine stolen off a Clio years ago. I phoned DVLA worried that the plate would get used for a crime and they gave the car a new reg

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
89 Posts
Get it sorted or I can tell you from experience you'll be racking up speeding fines, parking fines and Police markers, all of which you can do without. Tell the Police and DVLA, it's worth it

HTH

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Cheempeej said:
Phone them ASAP! Make sure your not liable. Tell your insurance too
Good idea

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
2,018 Posts
just came back from south-end beach
funny mentioning the coppers, got pulled over he asked why my front reg was missing, told him mine got nicked so I didn't have any screws to fit the front reg... back reg was stuck on, with double foam tape.

he said on there police system it has come up as 'Check Reg and Car' all was good at least I was able to experience if the system works.

anyways really angry ive spent 40mins at HALFORDS
they kept printing my reg bent...
after 5 attempts finally...

in the end they let me keep the bent regs lol

not a bad idea never realized DVLA will make an effort to change reg...
but the problem is..... the reg my car came with accully spells my name..its not a private reg, it just happens to spell my name. thats one of the reasons why i bought the car.

B*59 L*O
will be gutted if i have no choice but to change it

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What an arse, nothing is sacred!

I would like to know the technical merits of how these 'police markers' actually work.

·
89 Posts
In its simple form, a member of the public reports an incident that involve a car registration, possible drug dealing, anti social behaviour, or seen at the scene of another incident. This registration then becomes marked, so shows as marked when ANPR is used or just general checks are made against the vehicle by the Police.

HTH

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
So then this greatly increases your chance of being pulled over obviously. Do the markers ever come off?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sure they do come off the cars 9/10 however my partner was driving her brothers car who, he himself, was caught for something when he was younger in this car or so and he wasn't meant to be driving at this point. My Missis was driving the car and a cop car turned round in the traffic and followed her down the street then she stopped and they were checking that he wasn't driving the car etc.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
worse thing is, the place i park my car i don't think i can park there anymore around midnight to 6am...

i live on the main road, normally when im working early morning i tend to park outside my house.
but the fact my days off when i want to sleep in, ill have to make the effort to get up and move the car early mornings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts