VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
3,392 Posts
Well after some very careful consideration ive decided to build myself an RC track. It was prompted by Bob's Concord thread vid.

The story behind it all was that about 15 years ago i used to race for a club and was sponsored to race by that club at events. My car was a Losi xxx, the best money could by in that time and was worth 1k, it was fitted with everything back then, you could not buy better at that time! Like all things i lost interest when i discovered girls and beer so that was that lol!!

Here it is below (stock photo)

Anyways, i am now starting to build my own proper race track for myself and ANYONE else in the Cornwall area that wants to come along and have some fun. Im in the process of talking to a few local clubs to get them involved for a monthly meet starting from spring 2014, at the mo its going very well with a lot of interest.

So here's where it stands at the mo. Below are some track designs that i'm thinking of, im not 100% yet but im going to take the best bits from a few. Ive got a digger and JCB so in theory this isn't really going to cost that much to build. The Rostrum will be the most costly, the rest of it is just shifting earth from one place to another.

Here are my track thoughts.

The very bottom pics are where its going to be built.

I'm just trying to relive my youth

Here is where its being built

If anyone on here is into this sport then your more than welcome to come and race yours once its finished

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mental mate.... Cool idea

We've got a track in my local village that gets used for British and European competitions and it isn't even a patch on what your planning

http://www.halifaxtrack.co.uk

Think theyre different class cars though judging by the track.... They get people camping for days on end whilst competitions are on though so it's pretty popular

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not into the sport, but really like the tracks you posted. I'm wondering if one track is enough?
Ive been given the green light by my dad to build the one track although maybe a 'warm up' track could be fitted in somewhere lol!?!

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mental mate.... Cool idea

We've got a track in my local village that gets used for British and European competitions and it isn't even a patch on what your planning

http://www.halifaxtrack.co.uk

Think theyre different class cars though judging by the track.... They get people camping for days on end whilst competitions are on though so it's pretty popular
Ahhh that track looks brilliant!! I can totally understand the camping for days, if they are holding a big comp it would run from the Friday to Sunday, some guys take this sport veryyyyyy seriously!

This is all meant to be for a bit of fun but the tracks going to look like something from what ive posted.

Its all good fun lol.

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never had RC car but I really like your idea and place you picked up is beautiful.
Good luck with the project
Thanks dude. Its all meant to be a bit of fun but ive spoken to a couple of local clubs that are interested in trying it out once complete.

I'm wondering if i need planning permission? Its on our land but im just wondering if i was to have it as a monthly meet i would need planning permission?

Anyways the build is going ahead as planned, i will cross that bridge when i come to it lol. The land is my dads, im 'borrowing' some of it hahaa

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should do the 'ring' if you build it they will come
Ahhh actually, i will have a look at the layout and see if i can incorporate 1 or 2 of the bends. An actual ring would look incredible!!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Brilliant!

Was the Losi petrol engined? Doesnt look like it, am I correct? I had a Tamiya Manta Ray back in the day haha. Nothing on yours though!

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine was electric but always wanted a petrol one but wasn't allowed. The thing was we did a lot of indoor racing in sports halls with carpet put down for the event so they wouldn't allow the petrols inside so went for electric.

A LOT have changed since i was racing, im currently on the lookout for a 2nd hand setup.

YESSS, I remember the Tamiya Manta Ray, a friend of mine had one, im sure his was 4wd?? Might be wrong?? A true classic!!!!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
That's it! I was going to get into mountain biking but you have sold it back to me! Gonna dig out the 7.2's and get building again

·
19,388 Posts
Still got.a Tamiya Porsche 959 4wd kicking about somewhere.

Reactions: Gti Fly and PaulW

·
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's it! I was going to get into mountain biking but you have sold it back to me! Gonna dig out the 7.2's and get building again
lol, what's 7.2's?? I have literally no idea what this means??

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Haha quality mate, I can remember saving for a Dynatech motor, metal bearings and a digi speed controller =)

Manta Ray was 4WD. Some guys I knew had the Lunch Box, Black Foot and the other big ones.

Saw some people out on the field in front of my house the other day with a petrol monster truck, it was caining it on grass and in the wet. Monster!

Reactions: TwoCollieForThirty

·
19,388 Posts
Did it out! Thats probably worth a few quid! I bet they didn't make many of them Bob!
My girlfriend, at the time, bought it for me as a Xmas present back in 1991. Never actually used it that much as for me, all the fun was in the building especially the.3 differentials and the oil filled shocks:)

Reactions: SplitPersonality

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Why 3 differentials? Bet it's immense! Get us some pics!

p.s. your keyboard craft has been below par recently mate! =)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts