VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after selling my G60 I decided to settle for a nice R32. Only got her on Friday and I must admit I'm very impressed with her. Has some nice extra's sunroof, full leather etc and at some point a stainless back box has been fitted but that needs to be changed asap. So here are some quick pics

Also where's the cheapest place to get a non resinated Miltek exhaust, I think the car is in desperate need of one lol

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not very good quality so I have just ordered a full Miltek non Res exhaust from Intelligent Tuning with cats and manifold :deal:

Anyhow quick update on a few bits I have purchased though I would start with the simple things first

R32 Mats

ECS window module

Polo rear wiper

And my private plate which has been on retention for nearly three years since my best mate wrote off my GTI 16V MK2

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a £60 fine and no points luckily never had any problems with the plate though. You should only get and endorsement for the following defects on a vehicle

CU10 Using a vehicle with defective brakes 3
CU20 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories (excluding brakes, steering or tyres) in a dangerous condition 3
CU30 Using a vehicle with defective tyre(s) 3
CU40 Using a vehicle with defective steering 3
CU50 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of load or passengers 3
CU80 Using a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle 3

·
3,732 Posts
The law states that, You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers

Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).
Offences may result in any or all of the following:

A fine of up to £1,000

The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN .
The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Many drivers alter the spacing and typefaces on number plates to spell names and messages. But some plates can make registration numbers unreadable by speed cameras.

Drivers who tamper with car number plates are likely to face prosecution in a new clampdown.

It is already an offence to make letters look like numbers and vice versa, but the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea has said it intends to crack down.

Thousands of personalised registration numbers are allowed - the DVLA sells assignment rights to attractive numbers and many people are prepared to pay high sums for novelty numbers.

But the problem is when people change the letter spacing and make the plate hard to read. Cars with these plates fail MOT tests and there is a maximum £1,000 fine.

Police concerns

A simple change in letter spacing can make 13 look like B or 8. The letter O can look like D, 12 can look like 15 and the letter S can get confused with the number 5.

Police are concerned that vehicles involved in hit and run accidents can be difficult to trace.

The DVLA plans to work with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) to crackdown on drivers. From 1 March people without correctly displayed plates may have their registration marks withdrawn permanently without compensation.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
In most cases ie dealt with at road side its a straight £30 non endorsable fpn.

The above VC will be when persistent offenders are reported for summons and the DVLA informed. The DVLA can confiscate a registration mark should they see fit. Usually for people who take the pee.

If the plate is so bad its illegible then worst case you could be arrested for attempt perverting the course. However the plate shown above would usually only get a VDRS (vehicle defect report ) notice which basically gives you a length of time specified at the road side by the officer to correct the defect. This has to be stamped by an MOT station and handed in to the Police station to avoid a fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The VDRS scheme doesn't really fit as some things that make plates illegal wouldn't fail an MOT.

If they are bad enough I ALWAYS issue a FPN. Apart from one pill%ck who refused to accept it and wanted to go to court. :shot:

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plodd said:
The VDRS scheme doesn't really fit as some things that make plates illegal wouldn't fail an MOT.

If they are bad enough I ALWAYS issue a FPN. Apart from one pill%ck who refused to accept it and wanted to go to court. :shot:
lol it is amazing how foolish some people are

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to intelligent tuning for fast, friendly and speedy service. Most of the Miltek system arrived this morning just waiting for the manifolds should be here early next week and then I can get it fitted can't wait! Very impressed with the quality of the system though :)

·
540 Posts
nice arent they mate!!!got mine today and were fitted straight away!!!hahaha i coodnt wait!!!:driver:

·
305 Posts
you will love it, when its fitted! keep us updated with fitting etc, who"s fitting it?

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of my good friends is fitting it he built this so I think he can manage the R32 lol. Tis pretty well known on the scene not shy either has nearly 400 Bhp, I almost poo'd my pants driving it around salcombe. The turn of speed in it is unreal.

LOL yeh it does like too nice to fit

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right the manifolds all arrived on thursday, once again many thanks to intelligent tuning. Looks so nice laid out in the garage hahaha

Packed all the exhaust off and drove to my mates house in salcombe, lovely drive from where I am in Plymouth with sum great roads to test the R32.

On arrival got my car into his workshop whilst lee started to jack the car up, I decided to go have a gander at the lovely cars at his house. Audi S4 which is a complete beast, MK3 GTI, his girlfriends Lupo GTI and his 400 BHP MK2 Golf out of the picture.

From there it was time to crack on with taking all the old system off. Started by removing the airbox, throttle body and attached coolant pipes etc to the throttle body. To make it easier we also removed the manifold heat shield which was a bit of a bugger!

From there we went onto removing the old exhaust system which happened to be resonated milltek one to my fuck up lol. Both of us found it quite funny but whoever fitted it needed shooting as what kind of fool fits a stainless steel exhaust and then uses cheap crappy mild steel exhaust clamps which we basically pulled off with out hands!!

The exhaust came off easily and needs a good clean before I sell it, then it was onto the cat good to see VW actually has sense as all the lambda's in the cat have seperate connectors and different size blocks so you can tell them apart from the ones in the manifold. 4 lamdas seems a bit of an overkill but it obviously needs them lol. The Cats come off very easily again! At this stage no bolts broken or sheered off and it only took us about an hour or so to get this far.

After nearly hanging my vast weight off the lambda's in the vice they were clearly not going to budge so with a lil bit of heat they soon come free.

From there Lee decided to takle the downpipe bolts which were a pain to get to but they come off once again with no problems. It then took a bit of time to undo all the manifold bolts as the space behind the engine is somewhat tight but eventually the manifolds were off.

After lunch and a few cups of tea we commenced on the removal of the downpipe. Absolute sodding nightmare of the highest order and took hours but basically involved dropping the subframe and power steering rack which gave you the faulse sense of hope that you may be able to remove the manifold without undoing the propshaft, ermmmmmmmmmmm NO! So after about an hour of fannying about trying to wiggle the manifold out we removed the propshaft and then you were able to pull the downpipes out from underneath the car as there is just enough room.

Then the re-fitting commenced after tea by this time it was pretty late and I had already wrapped the manifold and downpipe in exhaust wrap. The Milltek manifolds were a bugger to fit as you had even less room to do the bolts up etc and this proved very time consuming but eventually the manifold and downpipes were fitted with all new gaskets and bolts from VW. Lee also then attached the milltek cats to line the downpipes up also the non-resonated section. From there we called it a day as we were both nackered.

Today I have ordered all the new subframe bolts from VW and also a poly dog bone mount as its sodding scary how easy the engine is to move by hand when this was off! So roll on tomorrow morning when the bits arrive and can then get the car finished.

·
1,222 Posts
Nice car! All looking good, I have had the Non Resonated fitted (Love the sound). But this Thursday I get the Hi-flow Cats, Manifolds and cruise fitted.

·
305 Posts
great post so far, knew the manifolds were a pig to fit, but that was worse than i imagined, still great when they are fitted, and you can forgive them anything when you see how awesome they looked on the floor of the garage. look forward to see and hearing more mate! really look forward to meeting up zirconium, that will sound the business!

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All now finished. Fuck me does it sound good. May be a little loud to the point that you can hear it from miles away but who cares when its the R32 howl :lol:

Quick few pics of the finished article and many thanks to lee for his efforts 8)

1 - 20 of 196 Posts