VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Last night I was driving down the motorway at about 11pm. There were 2 lanes (I was in the inside lane). I was travelling at a steady 80mph as usual, not another car on the road. I then passed a slip road going on to the motorway. The slip road then became the inside lane (making the 2 lane motorway now a 3 lane motorway and therefore the lane I was in went from being the inside lane to the middle lane). I then decided to move into the new inside lane as there was nothing in front of me for miles. I indicated and checked my left wing mirror and started to move into the new inside lane. I checked my left blind spot out of habit just as I was about to cross over the lane line, at which point a car undertook me at over 100mph. I swerved as a natural reaction as I'd already started to enter the inside lane. I very briefly lost control of my car as it veered over to the outside lane and then right across all 3 lanes to the inside lane before I gained control again. I have no clue why the driver needed to undertake me as we were the only 2 cars on the road and the motorway had only just gone into 3 lanes. I also have no idea how he got to that speed down the slip road onto the motorway. I can only assume he had a run up before the slip road and as the slip road was straight and downhill he must have just floored it all the way. I originally couldn't work out how I didn't see him in my wing mirror but later on I remembered that he had no rear lights, which at first I thought were just blown, but maybe he had no lights on at all? I don't want to even think about what would have happened if he was going a few miles an hour slower or if I was going a few miles an hour faster or if I'd moved over half a second earlier or if I hadn't have checked over my shoulder.

Lesson learned, never take things for granted, although there's only so much you can do to protect yourself. I've had a few close calls now, one where an old women had stopped on a blind bend to let a family of ducks cross the road in torrential rain, another where a drunk/tired driver one night decided to veer completely onto the wrong side of the road and drive towards me at 40mph causing me to have to also drive onto the wrong side of the road to miss them and finally a foreign taxi driver drove the wrong way down a dual carriageway thinking it was 2 lanes of traffic when actually his 2 lanes were on the other side of the trees lol. This one last night was my closest call, I wouldn't like to know the survival odds of being rear ended at those speeds. Even though the closing speed was only about 30 mph at the most, I'm pretty sure at 80mph to 100+ mph you're rolling…

Anyone else had a near miss/close call

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
[sub]What a bellend. Glad you were on the ball. Had a few people overtake me when they shouldn't, I remember one guy and if his car had any more paint on it he would of been a goner! [/sub]

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[sub]What a bellend. Glad you were on the ball. Had a few people overtake me when they shouldn't, I remember one guy and if his car had any more paint on it he would of been a goner! [/sub]
Sounds even closer than mine. Was it an undertake or just a crazy overtake?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Overtake on a crest. Never been undertaken, in your situation I think would of pee'd a little
Oh crest of a hill? That's as bad as overtaking on a blind bend lol. I did feel a bit sick after it happened, but I was on my way to meet a girl so all was forgotten about until this morning

Reactions: PaulW

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Doesn't sound good mate, it's true that as much as you are in control and aware. Sometimes things happen that are outside of your control.

Just last week or so, my mate was driving me to the airport with my lady. It was 30 degrees sun and he wasn't hanging around. We pulled off the M11 so only a few miles from the airport. Suddenly I noticed weird vibration and a horrible smell. His tyre had completely failed without any warning. The thing was ripped to bits and the smell was from leaving the motorway on it. No nails, just case failure. God knows what could have happened had it happened when he was giving it the beans. I think the speed and the ambient temps contributed to the failure. But still................

I learnt you cant trust anything. Especially Type Rs, Uniroyal Rainsports and my mates driving haha.

·
19,388 Posts
Reactions: Jamiewr32 and vrt

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't sound good mate, it's true that as much as you are in control and aware. Sometimes things happen that are outside of your control.

Just last week or so, my mate was driving me to the airport with my lady. It was 30 degrees sun and he wasn't hanging around. We pulled off the M11 so only a few miles from the airport. Suddenly I noticed weird vibration and a horrible smell. His tyre had completely failed without any warning. The thing was ripped to bits and the smell was from leaving the motorway on it. No nails, just case failure. God knows what could have happened had it happened when he was giving it the beans. I think the speed and the ambient temps contributed to the failure. But still................

I learnt you cant trust anything. Especially Type Rs, Uniroyal Rainsports and my mates driving haha.
Haha, yea it's scary stuff. I guess you live you're life like all will be fine (I mean all of us). It wouldn't be good to be afraid of everything but I suppose it's good to remember we're not as safe as we feel.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
There is a fine line mate, all I know is one second he is seriously pushing on. The next second we were minus a rear tyre (thankfully) and we got off the motorway to swap it.

Should have seen the look on my birds face, before we had pulled over and diagnosed the problem she said "what does this mean?"

I said "ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmm a taxi the rest of the way to the airport" the face of death ensued!

Turned out we got the spare swapped over in 6 mins flat -)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've had a few close encounters around our roads down south fella

One being a lorry travelling along country lanes and a good few feet over the white line causing me to brake harshly to squeeze through without kerning or ditching it on bends, a few BMWs thinking indicating means they are pulling out whether your there or not.

Couple dangerous idiots undertaking then pulling in front and realize traffic ahead is slowing so whack their brakes on causing me to have to lane jump without a thought which was lucky no one was either side.

People who are in such a hurry they pull out on you doing the 60 limit because they can't he bothered to wait. All happenrd around our local area LOZ

·
19,388 Posts
Around a year ago an old work colleague popped out at lunchtime to play badmington, just like he did every Wednesday. It's about a mile drive from the office to the sports centre up a 50mph dual carriageway with no centre barrier, just grass.

Unfortunately on this particular day a guy lost control of his Mercedes coming the other way, took off over the centre reservation straight into the path of his car killing instantly my old work colleague, his passenger and the guy in the Mercedes.

You never know when your time is up.

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
My worse one was about 10 years ago I had a Clio and i got a steering rack fitted, the garage did not tighten the wheels up???

So driving down the M6 I was in the fast lane with my young family, including my few week old son.

I braked in the fast lane as my car was making a horrible noise, was gonna slow down and get off motorway, when i braked the Near side wheel fell off landing on the brake disk ripping the wing off and my car veered across the 2 x other lanes and hit the barrier after the hard shoulder,

I did not hit any other cars and no one got hurt, it could have been so much worse

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had a few close encounters around our roads down south fella

One being a lorry travelling along country lanes and a good few feet over the white line causing me to brake harshly to squeeze through without kerning or ditching it on bends, a few BMWs thinking indicating means they are pulling out whether your there or not.

Couple dangerous idiots undertaking then pulling in front and realize traffic ahead is slowing so whack their brakes on causing me to have to lane jump without a thought which was lucky no one was either side.

People who are in such a hurry they pull out on you doing the 60 limit because they can't he bothered to wait. All happenrd around our local area LOZ
I know what you mean, the roads down here are full of them and that road opposite The Dukes Head that goes out towards Shootash is just one of many country lanes notorious for lorries and tractors taking up both lanes. They should ban them lol or reduce the speed limit from 60 mph

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Around a year ago an old work colleague popped out at lunchtime to play badmington, just like he did every Wednesday. It's about a mile drive from the office to the sports centre up a 50mph dual carriageway with no centre barrier, just grass.

Unfortunately on this particular a guy lost control of his Mercedes coming the other way, took off over the centre reservation straight into the path of his car killing instantly my old work colleague, his passenger and the guy in the Mercedes.

You never know when your time is up.
Thats terrible and unfortunately you're very right

·
19,388 Posts
Thats terrible and unfortunately you're very right
It was and when I worked with him I was often a passenger in his car doing the journey. To make it worse he was only a young man with a 2 year old son.

·
19,388 Posts
On the subject of tyres, these are the most important components on any car. No matter how good your braking system is, how good your coilovers are, whether you have 2wd or 4wd, it all means nothing without grip.

The more grip you have, the greater the chance you will he able to stop or swerve around an unexpected incident and remain in control of the car.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My worse one was about 10 years ago I had a Clio and i got a steering rack fitted, the garage did not tighten the wheels up???

So driving down the M6 I was in the fast lane with my young family, including my few week old son.

I braked in the fast lane as my car was making a horrible noise, was gonna slow down and get off motorway, when i braked the Near side wheel fell off landing on the brake disk ripping the wing off and my car veered across the 2 x other lanes and hit the barrier after the hard shoulder,

I did not hit any other cars and no one got hurt, it could have been so much worse

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine
That was a close call. One of the worse things that can go wrong with a car, right up there with brake failure and throttle stuck open :s

1 - 20 of 35 Posts