VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ive had my R for about 4 weeks now, and i must say, i love it! Question for you all, ive read all the various threads about fan issues, and i went to check mine today

The smaller fan, comes on for about 1 min at intervals and switches off, and the larger fan didnt come at all, this is from starting from cold this morn, and i let it idle for about 20-25 mins, and the air con was on

After this, i called my local stealer, and spoke to a master tech, who told me the car needs to get very hot before the 2 fans run together, he didnt sound like he knew what he was saying to be honest.

After a 30 min drive, i tried again, and the same thing happened, spoke to VW customer care, and i was told if the ambient temperature outside is under 9 degrees, the fan wont come on, as the air con wont work,the DIS was showing 11 degress, which i know isnt accurate

Can you please help, and if i have this common problem, any of you got any goodwill offered, as my car is out of warranty, or an idea on how much it will cost to put right, im at AMD tomorrow getting the 6463 upgrade, so may have no choice but to get it done.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a quick update on this, spent the last hour at the VW dealer, very helpful to be fair, and aware of this problem.

So heres the deal, i have to pay for a 30 mins diagnostic, even though the head tech had a look and said the bigger fan is not working, but the smaller one is, and this would not show on diagnostic, the reason for doing this, is because VW will not offer any goodwill unless this has been done

They have applied to VW for some kind of goodwill, and along with that, the chappy there said he would do the 6463 upgrade at the same time, to save me a trip to AMD

I will let you know the outcome of this early next week, fingers crossed, VW stand up for once and accept the fact this is a common problem, wont effect many of us on these colder days, but when and if the sun comes back overheating would become an issue i imagine

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the car back today, confirmed the fault on the fans, and mine have the green dot to indicate they have been changed once already, my local stealer has applied for some goodwill from VW towards the 540 quid repair bill

On the plus side, i got them to do the 6463 upgrade at the same time, and i have to say, its like a different car, i love it! The power now seems like a steam train, had a great drive home

Ill be back again to let you know if i get anywhere with VW about the goodwill, anyone without the 6463 update, should get it done, you dont know what your missing, im sure in the next month or so ill be down AMD throwing more money at my new toy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

So in conclusion, VW have finally responded with a 40% goodwill gesture toward the repair bill, leaving me with 325 quid to pay to replace the fans, would you call this a result? I cant fault the dealer here, they have been great, what you guys think? Should i ask for more here?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had the VW dealer on the phone, thats prepared to also put an extra 20% towards the cost, making a total of 70% goodwill!! Very pleased about this, leaves me with only 140 quid to pay to replace both fans!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts