VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on Stoptech Slot/Dot(drill/grooved
) Rotors on the front, Resurfaced Rear rotors, and Hawks ceramic/metallic pads all around with STR-660 brake fluid.

Overall the feel of the hybrid pads are a little to smooth for me. Smooth/soft braking is hard to trust, I've tried really hard braking and light braking and it all feels the same no matter what speed I'm traveling(within 130km/h or less
). The stopping distant is fine, its just a little scary as there is little to no braking feedback until I'm foot to floor on the brake pedal. This could be due to the brake fluid i just put in?

I've come to the conclusion though. I think dual compound pads need more heat( a lot more heat), and i say this because i have noticed that braking pressure becomes higher the more i use the brakes, the more braking the more feel over a given time. They are very quiet so far and the rotors seem to be dissipating more heat very well.

The issue is it's not confidence inspiring, and sense the set up is still new to me, i can't tell if its the issue of the rotors or the pads(or the combination). Many people have stated, and i will agree, that slot/dot type rotors don't really help with braking feedback as there is less surface area. I do believe so far that it does help with less sticking and lock up, as of now i've yet to feel any form of ABS play at any speed or stopping pressure. It just doesn't feel like I'm actually slowing down until I'm stopped lol.

Next set up i think i will just go with Slotted rotors, and ceramic pads, or pressure my boss into giving me his ceramic GT3 RS brakes
, if they'll fit haha.

Will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
852 Posts
This may sound like a daft question but have you bedded the pads and discs in properly?
You do this to achieve 2 very different things. You bed the discs in to give them a microscopic layer of pad material on the friction surfaces. You can achieve thus by lightly using the brakes.
You bed the pads in to de-gas them and maximise the contact area with the discs. The former is normally achieved by heat cycling them by building up the speeds you decelerate from whilst also increasing braking effort. The latter wouldn't be necessary on new/ resurfaced discs.

It sounds to me like the pads haven't bedded in properly yet!

Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
This may sound like a daft question but have you bedded the pads and discs in properly?
You do this to achieve 2 very different things. You bed the discs in to give them a microscopic layer of pad material on the friction surfaces. You can achieve thus by lightly using the brakes.
You bed the pads in to de-gas them and maximise the contact area with the discs. The former is normally achieved by heat cycling them by building up the speeds you decelerate from whilst also increasing braking effort. The latter wouldn't be necessary on new/ resurfaced discs.

It sounds to me like the pads haven't bedded in properly yet!

Paul
Not daft at all, I didn't think to consider how long it would take for this "break in period" to occur, i noticed today when i put air in my tires a lot of metallic dust when i aired off the calipers. It seems after i put some highway miles on it with light long braking, the braking form completely changed after i hopped back into the car after work yesterday. So yes you are right, i was to quick to judge. It seems like they are still being bedded as they still fill soft.

But it still stands the dynamics of the braking power changes after more heat is put into them, meaning i won't see efficient braking until about half way through my commute. The problem is i don't have sufficient knowledge to know if this is a side effect of the rotors and pads, or the break fluid becoming hotter.

I have considered getting this Brake stiffening kit, in hopes this will solve the issue with soft pedal feel
- https://www.uspmotor...fening-kit.html

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have considered getting this Brake stiffening kit, in hopes this will solve the issue with soft pedal feel
- https://www.uspmotor...fening-kit.html
A soft peddle is more likely to be one or two things. The system wasn't bled properly (very likely). Or your stock brake hoses are past their best and expanding under brake application. Imho, steel braided lines are one of the best mods for your brakes, well ahead of 'uprating' the discs/ rotors. Don't waste your money on a stiffening kit for a road car.

Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's the pads or specifically the pad compound. You hit the nail on the head in your first post. The compound is simply not suitable for general road driving. It requires too much heat for the friction coefficient to get high enough to offer decent braking torque. Put in a more street friendly pad.

A soft peddle is more likely to be one or two things. The system wasn't bled properly (very likely). Or your stock brake hoses are past their best and expanding under brake application. Imho, steel braided lines are one of the best mods for your brakes, well ahead of 'uprating' the discs/ rotors. Don't waste your money on a stiffening kit for a road car.

Paul
Well if i was to judge the pads on Street friendliness i would say its good, simply because it is soft and smooth. If i was to tame my driving and drive like a "civilized" person it works well. My problem is it not responsive enough for aggressive driving, and i believe you are correct with the brake lines, that's one thing i failed to consider(noob mistake) and i would agree that is apart of the problem. I will see to it i get them changed.

But why are you against the Stiffening kit? What is the issue with using it for street?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well if i was to judge the pads on Street friendliness i would say its good, simply because it is soft and smooth. If i was to tame my driving and drive like a "civilized" person it works well. My problem is it not responsive enough for aggressive driving, and i believe you are correct with the brake lines, that's one thing i failed to consider(noob mistake) and i would agree that is apart of the problem. I will see to it i get them changed.

But why are you against the Stiffening kit? What is the issue with using it for street?
Hmmm, I wouldn't associate 'soft' with street friendliness. If I had a soft pad, I'd change it. I like my brakes to be responsive and most of all, give feedback as to what they're doing. A soft pad wouldn't do that.

One thing at a time though, change your brake lines, re-bleed the hydraulic system then re-evaluate the pads.

I'm picking up my R32 on Saturday. It's bone stock so I'll feed back on the brakes after some usage. On the test drive though, the feeling I got is that I'd not need to do anything to the brakes to get them to behave how I wanted them too.

With regards to the stiffening kit, I don't think they're needed for street driving, If you've uprated your lines and put suitable pads in. If you've done that, with 345mm discs at the front, you should have all the brake power you need. And I seriously doubt you'll feel any difference with the linked kit fitted, if you brakes are in good condition already.

Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, I wouldn't associate 'soft' with street friendliness. If I had a soft pad, I'd change it. I like my brakes to be responsive and most of all, give feedback as to what they're doing. A soft pad wouldn't do that.

One thing at a time though, change your brake lines, re-bleed the hydraulic system then re-evaluate the pads.

I'm picking up my R32 on Saturday. It's bone stock so I'll feed back on the brakes after some usage. On the test drive though, the feeling I got is that I'd not need to do anything to the brakes to get them to behave how I wanted them too.

With regards to the stiffening kit, I don't think they're needed for street driving, If you've uprated your lines and put suitable pads in. If you've done that, with 345mm discs at the front, you should have all the brake power you need. And I seriously doubt you'll feel any difference with the linked kit fitted, if you brakes are in good condition already.

Paul
Soft is not the right word for my description, smooth is what i mean. The braking feels smooth and not extra grippy, which i would associate with a more friendly( passenger friendly) braking feel, because of this smoothness i would say the overall braking process(suspension and deceleration) is softer and less jittery.
The pedal feel is loose which i don't like, which like you've stated could be a host of issues. For now I'm going to leave things as they are because the set up is only 2 days worn-in and i dont want to throw 25 bucks of fluid down the drain
. But i will move brake lines to the top of my list of things to get.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Give them a chance as they may not be fully bedded in yet. But it definitely sounds like a set of brake lines would benefit. And don't throw money away on high spec fluid you're not going to need when you do. If you really must put high spec fluid in though, check out ATE SuperBlue.

Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Give them a chance as they may not be fully bedded in yet. But it definitely sounds like a set of brake lines would benefit. And don't throw money away on high spec fluid you're not going to need when you do. If you really must put high spec fluid in though, check out ATE SuperBlue.

Paul1
Another day another progression. The breaks are getting better and better every time i get back in the car. The fluid isn't all that expensive, just wasting it after a week of use isn't smart. The high performance 660 fluid is only about 10 bucks more than street performance 600.

I was looking for Superblue but i just recently found out it is unavailable in California due to legalization issues

Took Pics of the brakes, i need new wheels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.