VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo guys,

just a quick question, which i hope ive put in the right place on the forums but im looking at buying a new exhaust for my mk4 r32 as the silencer has been chopped out of mine and i see a lot of cars have the milltek cat back would this be the best one to go for or are there other exhausts out there that are worth looking into?

thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Magnex,

Everyone has a miltek and I often get asked at meets and shows what mine is as it sounds so good, as most people - have a miltek without researching other brands,

Do a you tube of magnex on a mk Iv and see what you think

Miltek are great but it's nice to be a tad different, I am sure there a few on here that would vouch for the sound of the magnex

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Here's a Clip I found on you tube

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
And here's mine in my garage

Please note the clip says miltek but that was me thinking and typing the wrong word now I can't change it lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that does sound really really nice, when accelerating hard does it rasp and pop thats what im looking for and when you let of the accelerator or drop a gear for it to sound nice aswell!

·
4,420 Posts
that does sound really really nice, when accelerating hard does it rasp and pop thats what im looking for and when you let of the accelerator or drop a gear for it to sound nice aswell!
for the pop you want to look further into sports cat or decat

Reactions: Lucifer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay that will have to wait till a later date, i dont have money to burn through unfortunately :L i googled magnex and it keeps bringing up a scorpion exhaust is this correct?

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
J_Lingard said:
okay that will have to wait till a later date, i dont have money to burn through unfortunately :L i googled magnex and it keeps bringing up a scorpion exhaust is this correct?
No scorpion is another option to confuse you lol ,

Where are you based

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im based in lincoln buddy, its so difficult because there seems to be a lot of nice sounding ones out there but hearing them over videos isnt very accurate at all

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
J_Lingard said:
im based in lincoln buddy, its so difficult because there seems to be a lot of nice sounding ones out there but hearing them over videos isnt very accurate at all
Yes the do sound different in real life,

Lincoln is quite far from me I am south of Manchester was gonna suggest you come to a
Meet and listen to a few different brands ?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a Scorpion non res cat back, v happy with it too. I tried to get a sound clip on my phone going through a tunnel the other day but the wind noise dominated the recording ???? I intend on getting sport cats + panel filter + remap later this year, so the sounds gonna change again.. I think you'd like any of them and it seems that no two cars sound the same!

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Douggie MkIV said:
I have a Scorpion non res cat back, v happy with it too. I tried to get a sound clip on my phone going through a tunnel the other day but the wind noise dominated the recording dde14 I intend on getting sport cats + panel filter + remap later this year, so the sounds gonna change again.. I think you'd like any of them and it seems that no two cars sound the same!
I agree with this , they all have there own tune, I have a mix of miltek manifold jbs de cat and magnex back box with s2 remap , piper cross filter and I've not heard another sound the same

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with this , they all have there own tune, I have a mix of miltek manifold jbs de cat and magnex back box with s2 remap , piper cross filter and I've not heard another sound the same

Thats the one MIQ I intend to mix it up! I just need to find out if a 100 or 200 cell sport cat will get me through mot or not. If it won't, ill be getting a de cat from lucifer ????

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thats the one MIQ I intend to mix it up! I just need to find out if a 100 or 200 cell sport cat will get me through mot or not. If it won't, ill be getting a de cat from lucifer ????
200 cell sports cats will get you through an mot but not 100 cell .

·
1,243 Posts
theres 200cell sports cats on ebay for 275 made by mongoose which is a steal IMO so I've bought a set to go with my dubpower manifold and milltek non-res

·
2,204 Posts
What options are there for people who want a quiet exhaust? I've got the standard system on my MK4 and to be honest, I hate it. It's too quiet when it needs to be loud (no familiar R rasping) and it drones like mad when it's hot and cruising. It's doing my head in and I feel like a chav driving around town with horrible loud droning.

What does the 'flapper mod' do? Make it quieter, or louder?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good shout Jon! That's a ridiculously low price. As for you Corrado The flapper mod is intended to make more noise so I'd keep it stock. Traditionally a resonated cat back would be recommended but there's reports of people complaining of the drone/resonance just being shifted further up front of the car bouncing off the road and straight into the cabin with r32's. it's a strange request to want a quieter R32 but perhaps I could be done by using exhaust manifold heat wrap and maybe some extra lagging or sound deadening inside the car??!?

·
2,204 Posts
Thanks Douggie. I was wondering whether my flap was stuck open or something but it sounds like the droning is just how they are as standard.

You're right, I've noticed there is virtually no sound absorbency in the back of MK4s. I wonder if that was a deliberate move by VW to get more rasping into the cabin? I can easily add some absorbent material I guess.

LOL, yeah I know it's unusual but it's the smoothness and torque of the R32 I like, not so much it's noise. It's OK occasionally but mine's a daily and the droning is getting on my nerves.

I did consider the Milltek resonated but it's way too much money for what it is, so I'll do a bit research!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts