VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have just purchased a 2004 mk4 r32 with full Vw dealer history with 84k on the clock for just over 5k.

I have a couple of issues with the car though. I have a cheap code reader off ebay and took that down with me when i went to view the car. The car threw up 4 fault codes so i checked them on the net before buying and they pointed towards the MAF and camshaft sensor. The car was holding back and very hesitant through the rev range as i have owned a 12v Corrado vr6 i had the exact same issues during my ownership with the camshaft sensor and and MAF causing the car to be very hesitant.

The fault codes i have 11748,17755,16725,17750. I negotiated money off the asking price to cover the cost of a new MAF and camshaft sensor but as i dont have the full version of VAG com i dont know if my problems lye alot deeper than just the two sensors. If anyone could shed any light on it that would be great.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
Hello and welcome

From what you have said changing the 2 bits should sort it.

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok mate thanks. I have the car in with my mechanic now so ill see how it runs after changing these two items.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much are MAF's and camshaft sensors for the r32's?

How common is timming chain stretch etc? The chains are silent on idle etc.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Paulmo89 said:

Check TPS for genuine parts. Don't use pattern

·
3,392 Posts

My genuine cam sensor was just over £100 from VW (think £120?) and a MAF will set you back around £100. I bought my new MAF from Vagtech.

Your looking at about £200 for the 2 parts but these are easy to fit yourself so no need to pay someone to do it, saves some cash

If your still getting the cam sensor fault after its been changed its "possibly" chain related as most on here seem to be. You need to get it properly scanned for the chains dude.

EDIT*

Use google its your friend

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/new-bosch-maf-sensor-for-vw-golf-3-2-v6-r32-engines.html

·
2,204 Posts
There's 2 cam sensors on R32s, so ideally you need VCDS to tell you which one the ECU isn't happy about.

Silent chain gear doesn't mean the chain hasn't stretched. Mine was silent too but the chain was on -7 & -7, which whilst still in tolerance, didn't fill me with confidence so I replaced it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts