VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Just thought id run this by the forum :)

The adjoining neighbours house is rented. The previous couple or tennants were fine and we barely heard a peep out of them. Hopefully me and the GF are considerate neighbours also.

However, a new couple have rocked up and its been a constant banging and slamming. I thought id give it a couple of weeks making allowances for moving in etc. Last night i was woken at 2am, 3am and 4am by loud bangs. Its beyond me what they could actually be doing short of throwing weights around.

I woke up pretty pissed off and suggested to the GF i should have a chat. Weve had no dialogue yet apart from a quick hello and my instincts are they are a bid odd (but yet to be confirmed!). If there was an element of rapport i guess it would be easier to drop in a comment.

So i guess the options are
Do nothing
Speak to them

If i do nothing i will probably snap eventually. I guess it comes down to apprach. I could hang around hoping to catch them outside (preferable to a knock on the door)...or do i bide my time and try and strike up a positive rapport. My concerm is that a bad first impression and the risk of an unfavourable response might descend into something worse! Could go with or send the GF round.

Anyone dealt with similar? Got plans to move next year but this will drive me nuts until then.

·
Administrator
3,597 Posts
try to speak to them first , if you get no joy phone the council. Act sooner rather than later and keep a log of the disturbances, time date etc.

Would also be handy to speak to the landlord if you know him,

·
993 Posts
Got the new neighbors myself and they do occasionally held parties starting Saturday early afternoon and ending Sunday evening.
I don't mind their music or noise as long as ear plugs do not fall out of my ears. 3 weeks ago they had their weekend session on but around 05:30 in the morning I was woken up by noise

Somebody was banging on neighbors doors for a long time. I went a bit ballistic at that moment and opened my door not knowing who was there(still half a sleep) : "
Me:What the fack is going on here ???
Girl :they do not want to let me in.
Me:I don't give a fack, stop banging on them facking doors ffs.
Girl: It's my apartment.
Me: It's facking 05:30 in the morning. Stop banging on them facking doors.

Then I have slammed my door and to be honest I'm not sure if they are still living there

Go there and explain it to them.

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Perhaps go tap the door, raise a concern you got awoken in the night and silly times. Just say is everything alright??
At the same time it makes them aware you have been woken up several times...they might get the hint......

·
1,060 Posts
Gently, Gently! Try and get some rapport going and when they get to know you they may be more considerate.
I took a similar approach with my new neighbour. It took a while as we are chalk and cheese -me grumpy, single middle-aged billy no-mates and her a gregarious lively 30 something with loads of mates but we connected and now get on fine. It took a year or more but it makes living here much more harmonious!

·
2,665 Posts
Cheers.

i briefly opened some dialogue with him while jetwashing my car...but didnt intend to go straight in with a complaint. I asked if he was settling in alright and made some smalltalk....the irony was that he said "yes, its quiet ariund here"...i couldnt respond...lol

So, hopefully a bit of positive rapport to start with and i will see how the next week goes. Then i will nip around...he seemed pretty meek to be honest. Ive got the feeling its his missus thats making the noise!

Its a private landlord. I think my GF knows the landlord but he lives in new zealand and rents it out via an agency.

Cheers for the posts. Just getting it off my chest while tired and grumpy this morining:)

Im sure theres worse expereinces out there but nothing worse than noise..and being woken up! I dont mind when the neighbour on the other side has parties as they are once in a while...but its like someone banging on your walls at night!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Have a little polite chinwag with them, if things continue or get worse, have some harsh but fair words, if nothing changes again.....

Contact the agency or landlord directly and if the reasoning fails, a hiding will work sharpish.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, inclined to agree...

Diplomacy
Formal Route
Open a can of whoopass

Will just be patient for now!

Reactions: vrt

·
161 Posts
x2 4x4s with 4 /5 flat noses in each car,,turning up outside a persons house in two big 4x4s or the like,,9 or 10 handed and politely say this can be done the hard or the easy way,,,now quiten done or piss off,,if theres a next time then your door will come off and thats just for starters,,sadly politeness is often taking for weakness and if politeness dont work,,then the above definitely will,,good luck,,jason p

·
2,204 Posts
It needs to be nipped in the bud early or they'll just keep doing it. Banging around at 4am is clearly the level of respect they are prepared to show you, as a new neighbour, so put them straight ASAP or it will just eat away at you every time they do it. Believe me, neighbours can be the cause of a lot of stress!

You don't have to go round there with a baseball bat or raised blood pressure or anything, just say: "I'm not being funny, but your banging around has just woken me up / woke me up last night. Can I please ask that you try and keep the noise down late at night?. Thanks".

If they continue to be noisy, then you can take action via the letting agency. You have the right to a peaceful nights sleep (you were there first too!) and it's the letting agent / landlord's responsibilty to keep the peace.

Some people are just oblivious to their own surroundings though, or just stupid or ignorant, I don't know. In the small hours of the morning, doors can be closed by twisting the handle whilst closing gently. Stairs can be negotiated without thudding up and down them like a great big fat lead footed heffalump, domestic rows can be put off until the morning etc etc. Hardly rocket science, but then there are a huge amount of dumb arse numb skulls in this country, sadly.

·
575 Posts
I feel your pain!! Just had new neighbours ourselves who seem to feel its ok to have parties on a Sunday night with music blaring out for all to hear until 3AM or so. Im hoping its a one off... Although something tells me if they have no respect for neighbours now, why will that change...?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
My previous neighbour was a nightmare. She didn't get on with anyone in the street and would complain to my now ex landlord over parking arrangements. He would get phone calls and emails every week complaining that I was over her border so I suggested the landlord actually paint a line showing the border (as land registry showed the border wasn't straight and neither were the garages or property, everything was fked). As land was in short supply where I lived I could understand her point. However when she parked right on her border she blocked my car in the garage making it impossible to get my car out. Land registry gave me access to the garage and she wasn't to park in a manner that would block access (even if she was within her land). When I asked her to move she said no. When I said I was worried that I would damage her car trying to squeeze out the garage past she phoned the police and told them I threatened to damage her car if she didn't move hers. The police came round and questioned me. After I gave my side and showed them the land documents they said they believed that she had twisted what I had said to try and get me into trouble. After that incident she never spoke to me again. I moved over a year later. I'm now in a different house but my ex landlord got an email from her telling him that I had been snooping around the property and that I must have a spare key as I have been back to the house and been inside banging around. He's threatened to call the police and I told him she's talking BS. I haven't even been near the old place let alone in it... Anyway some neighbours are a nightmare. Do I wish I'd have apologised and let her walk all over me just so we could say hi once in a while? No.

·
2,204 Posts
/\ People like that should be removed from the planet. I bet she causes that kind of trouble for everyone in her daily walks of life. She probably calls the manager over in Tesco to accuse the checkout operator of overcharging her deliberately.

·
2,665 Posts
There was an outrageous 630 am wake up monday....involving running up and down the stairs about 5 times and slammng the front door inbetween with crazy force......followed by my loud expletives which may have been heard.

Its been relatively quiet since though (not sure if thats just coincidence). The odd bump but not as annoying or frequent.

Agreed with some comments. i will eek out and see how this weekend goes.

·
1,230 Posts
some times, they have no idea that you can hear there banging. if you ask polite they might just be shocked and be very apologetic.

i tried this method in my very first house when i was 20 years old, it had no affect what so ever. what did work was to knock on the door (half glass panel) watch the guy reach for the lock and then kick the door as hard as fook, it sent the knob flying up his hall way and left a lovely purple lump on his head. i then asked again to keep the noise down and funnily enough, they moved out 2 week later.

hope you get a resolve soon. i now live in a different area and my polite approach worked the first time of asking.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Reevo said:
if you ask polite they might just be shocked and be very apologetic.

i tried this method in my very first house when i was 20 years old, it had no affect what so ever
At this point I was thinking "where the fk is he going with this" lmao

1 - 20 of 32 Posts