VW Golf R32 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
They do. The difference between them and the o.e ones is quite remarkable . The o.e ones are very comfortable, but compared to the Recarros , they feel like an armchair . Because of my now pathetically weak right shoulder, having said shoulder supported makes driving much easier and more pleasant . I am really pleased with the result, although I appreciate that they are not everyone's cup of tea.
I have briefly thought about getting the rears re trimmed to match, but that is a very low priority , if at all .
The only thing I am not quite sure about is the height. I will drive it for a while before deciding. It is relatively easy to lower the drivers seat at the price of removing the height adjustment .

In the meantime , other things to work on , especially the rear brakes and the rear end rebuild with subframe out . Having the whole of the back end of the car absolutely pristine is really tempting, even though I appreciate that it will get dirty. However, once everything is powder coated and/ plated , cleaning is easy . I also keep looking at the Verkline subframe ...............

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Slightly diverted by the arrival of a package from Maxton designs this morning. Cupra R front splitter . Have to say I am impressed with the quality of the product, it's fit , the instructions and the decent quality bolts provided. There were 16 of them, and I have none left, so I am fairly confident that the splitter will not come off in a stiff breeze . I am really pleased with the outcome, and it was a quick and simple job to attach.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Yes. With two provisos. The lower vents and the grill both need to be removed. And, as you might have seen in one photo, I have a right angle drive adaptor on my drill. This means I could drill vertically from underneath without puts the front of the car onto stands .Without one, the car would need to go up in the air by a few inches to give unfettered access. But otherwise, a nice easy and rewarding job.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
The next stage. I had in the back of my mind a rear brake upgrade to match the front. I was also slightly disappointed with myself when I rebuilt the rear suspension and brakes and fitted the Ohlins as I bottled out of removing the subframe and doing a 'proper job' . So, beginning to plan the rear brake changes, aided and abetted by Illegal32. And this time the subframe is coming out. Small in situ brake pipe flaring tool and even smaller brake pipe cutting tool primed and ready for action. Also in the process of refurbishing a pair of driveshafts that came with the Tdi 4 motion rear suspension so they will also be ready before any dismantling takes place.
The slightly more tricky bit is my plans to re engineer the Epytec kit that was designed to enable Brembo 4 pot rear calipers from the Cayenne Q7/Touareg to clamp some 356mm discs from an Audi A6 Quattro ( or the RS7) and then the o.e brake caliper becomes the handbrake. What I am trying to do is to use the calipers from the tdi as handbrake calipers , which require one adaptor to be re designed and also reconfigure the mounting points on the main adaptor , for reasons that I will explain with photos in due course.
Using the Tdi calipers is not quite straight forward as (a) they were designed to operate on a 260mm disc and the Epytec adaptor is designed to move the R32 caliper which is, of course, designed for a 310mm rotor and (b) the tdi disc is 12mm thick and not the 22mm of the R32/ Rs7 . And why do this, ? Well, one I have them and two, more importantly, this way the o.e brakes , with carriers and two piece rotors, that have done about 2500 miles since new are then intact as a complete rear brake replacement / upgrade that may be of use to others . The easy way is just to use my R32 calipers , but ...........

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Yet another aside. As part of the rear end rebuild and the fact that when I acquired a spare rear suspension from a tdi 4 motion, I thought it would be interesting to pull the final drive apart, with the view to rebuilding the differential part and just transplanting my Haldex when the moment arrives. That would speed up the rebuild of the back end .
Anyway, the Haldex pops out as a complete unit . Then the casing splits equally easily. The only little curve is the removal of the drive shaft flanges. They are located by snap rings . The trick is to collect one piece of steel, 200mmx15mmx10mm, into which one drills two 8mm holes spaced to take a pair of drive shaft bolts . Loosely bolt the bar onto the flange and then give it a decent thump with an even more decent hammer. The shaft obliges by popping out. Then the case can be split , the diff and crownwheel drop out as a unit . Spare oil seals are available , but from the looks of it , not much else . Ideally , I would change the diff bearings, a.though in fairness they look absolutely fine. One thing I am not sure about is the oil spec for the diff ( not the Haldex which is separate ) , so if anyone on here k laws what oil should be used in the diff, I am all ears .

oh. The casings. Attacked with a ridiculous amount of brake and clutch cleaner , wire brush and bad languages and now soaking in the equivalent of a hot bath in the form of a parts washer complete with 30litres of Jizer .

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Stop press. Found the oil 75W90 , so pretty standard stuff. There are both drain and fill plugs on the casing to enable the gear oil to be changed . Everyone knows about the Haldex oil but the diff oil ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Rear brake upgrade update . The tdi4 motion calipers and carriers now modified to suit a 22mm disc ( rather than. 12mm) , cleaned and ready for paint . The 4 pot Brembos likewise ready for paint, so that is the next job. Seals , pistons, pads, clips, anti squeal shims etc all ready for action after the paint has hardened . Still waiting for the 356mm discs and the diff seals to arrive, along with some more suspension 'goodies' but more of that later . The engineering shop has not yet set too on my modified caliper adaptor, but they do have full drawings. He hopes to do the job for me next week, although he said that last week..........

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love the progress as usual Andy, you've been hard at work and very consistent in the quality/finish of each addition.

I am looking to order some K-sports, they have a 15% off on their site at the moment.. thinking of 356 discs floating design, just hope they fit ok behind my wheels... I will consider spacers but only hub-centric.. I had proper branded spacers on the M140i and after 2 months (600 ish miles over winter) I went to remove them for proper offset alloys and they had seized on to the hub
angry.png

Looking forward to seeing your build progress, lets see how the rear subframe task goes...

I plan to buy a used one in the next few months and then get that sand blasted/coated along with new rear arms etc coated as well, then pop new polybushes and transplant if it works out as well as I hope!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
That is what I had read too. However, pulling one apart rather forces ones hand on the oil change front. What surpridpsed me was that there is clearly a fill and a drain plug , so somebody at VW must have at least planned on the possibility . Mind you , the rear diff has an easy life given that for a good proportion of the time, the Haldex clutch is preventing drive getting from prop shaft to pinion .

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Bit of an update on the brakes. Etch primer followed by blue paint now where it should be.( 2 pack) I will let it all really harden off before I rebuild them all with new bits. Diff seals on their way so when they arrive I can rebuild the diff, and I have painted the drive shafts so I can pit the new inner and outer joints on some time next week. That will be another preparation job ticked off .

And now for the New Year challenge quiz. The quiz is ' what the hell is Andy trying to make now ' quiz. First photograph below. I think that my chances of success are well below 50% but I had the steel so I thought I would try something . As it progresses I will add photographs .

Attachments

181 - 200 of 239 Posts