VW Golf R32 Forum banner
241 - 260 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Thank you Andy. I plan to go back to the same circuit , choice of dates in September and October , but I am really keen to do my rear end rebuild with the suspension and brake upgrade. Of course, if 15 or so other R 32 owners signed up for the same ‘Novice ‘ track day at Mallory Park ( see the Javelin track day website ) , then we could ask for an R32 only group . The cost for the day is £169 , which is not too bad, but to make it happen , lots of us would need to book ASAP .

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Bit of a pause as the bike racing season is in full swing so busy riding and racing my cycle. Anyway, Verkline subframe back from the powder coaters, along with a pair of Passat front hubs. I know, why more hubs? Alloy is the answer so a couple of kg on unsprung weight saved .
Bicycle part Sports equipment Gas Hood Font

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
And the next ( entirely reversible ) mod. The rear of my car spends 99% of its time as a home for my bike as I use the R32 to get to and from bike races. In addition , the rear seats and belts , along with the other bits and bobs in the boot area weigh in not far short of 50kg, which is not a problem in itself , but for a track day, a useful loss of fat if possible. So, seats plus belts out and stored in the loft and a seat well platform made of 6mm MDF, some 1”X1” box, black car felt and a bit of welding and black rattle can , and I have a nice flat load bay, with an easy to remove panel ( just fits over the rear seat hinge pins and has two tangs that slot into the holes that the seat base clip into . ) Results below .
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive design
Automotive tire Vehicle Black Motor vehicle Trunk
Car Hood Automotive exterior Trunk Automotive design

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Bit of an update . I stumbled on some alloy front hubs (Passat) so one trip to the powder coaters later I had a pair of really neat , light front hubs. Slight snag is that the adaptors that I am using on my iron hubs for my Combrake 6 pots and 350mm 2 piece rotors would not quite fit on the alloy ones. No sweat, I ordered a pair of alloy blocks and fired up the mill. However, it occurred to me that whilst I was at making new adaptors, I could go to 370mm rotors . Great plan, but that would then leave me with a pair of 350mm rotors and adaptors but they would not be a good resale prospect as there were no callipers to go with them. So, one pair of replacement callipers later , identical to the ones I have except for the colour , and away I went . The photographs tell the rest of the story. The job is nearly done, just a bit of machining on the second adaptor to finish and some painting, and they are ready to fit. I will then have a 350mm 6 pot brake kit to sell that will appear on Facebook at some point .

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Locking hubs
Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Road surface Flooring
Wood Tool Composite material Auto part Aluminium
Musical instrument Gas Bicycle part Bumper Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Bicycle part Nickel Rim Machine Nut
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the alloy hubs not dimensionally the same? At least for the hub/caliper mount relationship? I have those on the list for the winter to find. I've not done much research yet but my understanding is that the ones from a tts and rs also move the balljoint downwards?

I'm not as lucky/skilled as you in that i don't have a mill to do bracketology like you!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
You are correct. Dimensionally the same , but the alloy casting has more material around and between the calliper mounting points, meaning that my existing adaptors would only fit with some alterations . Hence the decision to make new ones, go up on rotor size ( track days ) and then get new callipers so that I have a complete big brake package to sell, to help offset the cost . If you are just doing a swap, then as far as I can see, it is just that with no complications .

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Hmm. Might want to make a slight revision to one of my above statements . I am not sure that the R32 disc and calliper are a straight swap onto the alloy hub. The calliper mounting lugs are significantly thicker on the alloy hub. This moves the calliper out towards the wheel mounting face by about 5mm, which is why my existing adaptors would not work. Anyway , new adaptors now finished . They are more Massey Ferguson and less McClaren but they are rigid .Steel hubs and existing brakes now removed. New ones to fit tomorrow . Rectangle Wood Font Paint Gas
Gas Urban design Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood
Urban design Gas Art Space Rectangle

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Well. They are on and bled. As always , fitting takes time as the adaptors needed the inevitable shimming to get the calliper absolutely parallel to the rotor ( I have fitted a few after market brake kits over the years and never yet met one that did not need a shim or two , so I do not feel too bad )
I have tried it on the road and performed some initial bedding in by getting the rotors and pads pretty hot , then letting them go stone cold. Nice and progressive, not noisy (Performance Friction 11 pads) but I think , despite my careful bleeding , it needs another go as the pedal does not feel as firm as I would like it .Job for another day . Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Tire Fender
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Round 2 of the Passat hubs. Notspotted this one until I used the car a bit more this morning and looked at it from the front. The tracking was a mile out, massive toe out, so the steering arms on the hub are (a) longer or (b) at a more shallow angle ( the Passat is longer than the Golf so that option makes sense to preserve the Ackermann geometry) or (c) both.
Anyway , now sorted . I should have looked more carefully from the start. My front tyres did not enjoy 15 miles of 7mm toe out .

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Completely sorted . Very happy indeed. The pads are amazing: decent bite cold, nice and progressive and get better the hotter are . I now promise to begin the long planned rear end rebuild with the Verkline subframe .

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
At long last , after several false starts and months of fiddling about, rear ended upgrade has begun. Spent most of today under the car removing everything rear suspension and subframe related . With all the bits out, the poor old thing looks a bit sorry for itself . Rebuilding will start next week but will be a slow process as there is lots of cleaning and prep to do before my shiny new bits get anywhere near the underside . Wood Floor Flooring Gas Composite material
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Car
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Oh. Just to complicate the job, a pair of alloy rear hubs arrived yesterday to match the front ones. They are much lighter ( several Kg) and although dimensionally the same as the R32 , ( ie everything bolts up in the same places ) the casting differences create a new brake adaptor opportunity ...............
Wood Automotive tire Gas Font Brick

·
Registered
75 Posts
We appear do be going down the same path lol.

Edit: nevermind, i scrolled up n see what you're doing at the rear end....tasty! And tempting....

Edit 2: reading further up about your comments about turning. A good friend of mine is a provincial champion and is building a mk5 right now as well. His advice for me for setup is: 850lb front spring, stock anti roll bar. Rear true coilover (not the separate spring in the control arm) with 600lb spring and the stiffest possible anti roll bar. It looks like you've kept the separate spring with the ohlins but it'd be simple math to figure out what spring rate you would need to get the same effective wheel rate.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Ah, yes, full rear coilover. I have fabricated new wishbones which have the damper mounting on them rather than on the hub. They also have a pan to take 2.5” springs. However, one of the reasons for doing this is that in future I can indeed fit a ‘true ‘ coilover from wheelarch to wishbone . As for spring rates, mine are a real compromise. At 60N/mm and 24mm ARB, the car is great on the road and not too firm, but too soft for the track, hence in the future I plan to have a set of track day coilovers which will be more like 12N/mm front and 10N/mm rear , and use my existing Ohlins for the road ( or the other way around , but replace the rears with Ohlins coilover , not quite decided on that one . In the meantime, the saga continues in the next post

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
And 5 hours later, I am tired, very dirty and have decided that I am far too old to be lying on my back underneath 1.5 tons of Golf removing dirt, old waxoyl , general crud and ( thankfully very little ) rust . Bit of rust converter on the few very light spots of corrosion . Tomorrow morning sees some seam sealant go on ( VW were very generous with the sealant in some places and completely missed others. ) .Once that has gone off, some masking and spraying and the back third of the car will be presentable . Also plan to replace/ blast and powder coat the tank straps , as they are minging and irritating me Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Tread
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Vehicle
Gas Tints and shades Auto part Metal Wire
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

241 - 260 of 292 Posts