VW Golf R32 Forum banner
281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Yep. Easy to upgrade to rose joints at a later stage and both the lower rear arms and the toe bars are easy to make . Just make sure you use CDS tubing and half decent rose joints . ( the really high quality Aurora ones are £60-£100 a pop so no, I did not get them !

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
As a sidetrack, the rear upper strut brace work has progressed, at least as far as making and mounting the upper and lower mounting brackets . The upper ones are clamped to the seat back brackets via a base plate of 6mm steel, a top clamp of 27mmx25mm aluminium with grooves machined in to suit the hoop like nature of the seat back brackets .The actual bar mount is then some 3mm steel welded to the base plate and through bolted through the top . The lower ones are all steel affairs .Very conveniently ,VW thought to put 4 captive nuts 85mm apart vertically and 36mm apart horizontally, right at the base of the inner wing and almost vertically below the seat back bracket, two,of which hold a chrome flip up handle for locating luggage straps (?) . Anyway , rock solid and no welding torch required to be taken to the shell, which is a bit of a bonus . I have made the upper bar with adjuster but not welded it up and still to make are the two bracing bars that will link the upper bar with the inner wheel arch at boot floor level. .
And if you have followed all that , you have probably lost the will to live . Oh, yes, I did have to very slightly cut away a small section of the plastic trim. Once the brace is in place and the parcel shelf resting where it should, it will not be not be noticeable .
And, just in case you have forgotten, battery box modifications finished and new battery installed ( but not connected ) Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Black Hood
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Back to the action underneath . Trial fitted the rear 4 pot callipers . Everything seemed o.k so I hooked up the brake pipes and hoses. Two very minor snags. The first is that the bespoke Verkline arb drop links mounted on the Verkline trailing arms are really pretty except when the bastards hit the sodding brake line on full suspension deflection. The other minors snag is my bespoke brake hoses from Epytec that cost slightly more then the GDP of a small country fit wonderfully except where they foul the inside edge of the wheel. Fortunately there was neither paraffin nor matches to hand as I was about ready to torch the &@##@&& . Anyway. Couple of hours out on my bike and things are better, but only slightly . Day off and I will consider the strategy on Monday .Photo to follow when I can bring myself the capture the crime digitally .

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Bit of progress. Steel lines cut and new fittings and flares made( bit awkward in situ) . One new line made to the nearside but still the offside to do , which is the piece that goes across the car. Anyway, re - routed lines, new brackets and now the hoses are o.k and the brake lines ( well one so far) does not get hit by the ARB drop link . Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
New lines now installed and the middle section of the exhaust back . Not checked the lines for leaks yet, so that will be a job for the weekend when I hook up the callipers , bleed and hope. I have a really nice brake pipe flaring tool ( vice mounted ) that makes excellent flares SAE) and realised after I had put the lines together that the fittings I had were all DIN . The difference is subtle ( back,of the SAE flare is convex, the DIN is flat ) but as the lines are cupronickel , I think I will be o.k . The more tricky one is the fitting on the steel line as the steel is less forgiving . Bit of a schoolboy error really but I live in hope.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Exhaust and rear number back in place this afternoon. ‘Speedycables ‘ in South Wales have suffered some staff shortages so my bespoke handbrake cables ,
promised for last Thursday will be made next Tuesday . Rear turret braces now finished and painted, so I will drop those in tomorrow and photograph

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
More progress as I hope my crappy pictures show. I ended up making my own brake hoses as the Epytec ones, nice as they are , did not fit into my alloy calliper well. ( Not Epytec fault really: the calliper is designed to take a banjo bolt fitting which I should have spotted months ago ) . Anyway, one side now done . The handbrake cable is not quite what I wanted , but the ones I ordered 7 weeks ago still show no sign of appearing so I have used the ones I had made when I planned to mount calliper in the trailing position rather than in the o.e leading position . The result is a rather tight curve but it seems to work o.k and is well clear of rotating bits . Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas
Car Light Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Crankset

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Final stages at long last . Now happy with the handbrake cable routing. I needed to make new handbrake levers ( the ones that fit on the calliper ) as I was not entirely happy with the angle of the inner cable when the brake was applied but all looks well now. Just need to drop it onto its wheels, set the ride height and then get it all set up ( toe, camber etc ) Wood Automotive tire Font Tree Gas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

281 - 293 of 293 Posts