VW Golf R32 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Yep. 25.4mm from the TTRS/RS3 . Should arrive by the middle of next week. Bit of a ball ache to change but will compensate for the significantly bigger piston area in the rears compared with the single 41mm o.e .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brilliant thread. What amazing work! I'm currently in the process of sourcing parts for the front and rear aluminium steering knuckle/hub upgrade. If possible would you mine posting part numbers up for all the new nuts + bolts required when making this upgrade? Or possible the car models they are swappable from so I can source them myself.

Cheers👍

·
Registered
259 Posts
These are the numbers i started with

front
8J0407253D
8J0407254D

Rear
3C0505433G
3C0505434G

I think the 8j and 3c are somewhat interchangeable. For sure a mk2 tt and it seems a b6 passat is also a source. I got my fronts from ebay and rears from a friend. Rears can also be easily found on ebay.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Afternoon. First. Alloy hubs. As I understand it , there are three options. The first is from a late Mk 5 R32. Some seem to have been fitted with alloy hubs. But very hit and miss. The second ( for the front ) is from the Passat . A word of caution with the Passat is that the steering arm angle is slightly lower, to keep the Ackerman angle correct for a car with a longer wheelbase. This means that once fitted , the steering arm ball joints will need to move outwards by a good 5mm. O.k as long as the rod end still has 15mm plus of thread in the steering arm.If not, longer steering arms required. . The third source is from the Mk2 TT Quattro. These hubs do give a different front end geometry but the car can still be set up to close to o.e spec, but I think adjustable lower ball joints may be needed. The rear hubs seem to be plug and play . Well mine were , although if using o.e rear brakes , you may just find you need a spacer between the brake carrier and the hub as the mounting bosses are thicker than the o.e steel ones, which moves the carrier relative to the rotor .
From the above you will have noted the obvious. Replacing like with like is straight forward. Make a change and other components may not quite fit the way they did before . Nothing that is not fixable, but you need to be aware. The alloy hubs are nicer and several kg lighter. As long as the bearing is four bolt, the R32 ones fit , as do the bolts, drive shaft bolt, front strut pinch bolt . If you are getting alloy hubs, get the brake hose/ abs sensor bracket with it as it is not the same as the iron hub. Part numbers. I will look up and post . However, if you go to VAGBOLTS , they list many of the bolts needed and have useful diagrams. A good place to start. Also try 7ZAP . Get to the R32 and you can also find the part numbers. However, if using alloy hubs, especially for the rear, the R32 ones are too short. Stick with 7ZAP and go to the AudiTT ( mk2 Quattro) .
Hope this mindless ramble helps a bit .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Master cylinder update. Top news. The RS3 master cylinder turned up. Even better it is 25.4mm in diameter. Not so good news is that it will not fit onto the Golf Servo as its fixings are at 8 0 clock and 2 0 clock and the Golf more like 11 o clock and 4 o clock . I really should have spotted that one before . The Mk2 TTRS does appear to have its fixing holes in the right place but only seem to be available for LHD cars, which means that the ports are (a) 10x1 mm rather than 12x1 and ( b) both on the same side. So, fitting would need me to make new pipes from master cylinder to ABS unit . Not a massive sweat but a bit of a pain . Bit of a pause on this one .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Yes. Got the RS3 servo. That has two bolts that secure it to the bulkhead. The R32 seems to want two more , so not obvious that the RS3 will fit . If it did , the. The package would save a lot of work and make the change straight forward( as long as it is possible to remove the servo with the engine in place. A bit limited for space down there )

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, you wanted to get that turbo motor anyways right?!

If the rs3 servo fits and the orientation is correct, i wouldn't worry about 2 bolts vs 4. I put a d2 vacuum assembly on my c4 and it went from 4 to 2 bolts, no issues at all.

But yes....not a simple task either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Afternoon. First. Alloy hubs. As I understand it , there are three options. The first is from a late Mk 5 R32. Some seem to have been fitted with alloy hubs. But very hit and miss. The second ( for the front ) is from the Passat . A word of caution with the Passat is that the steering arm angle is slightly lower, to keep the Ackerman angle correct for a car with a longer wheelbase. This means that once fitted , the steering arm ball joints will need to move outwards by a good 5mm. O.k as long as the rod end still has 15mm plus of thread in the steering arm.If not, longer steering arms required. . The third source is from the Mk2 TT Quattro. These hubs do give a different front end geometry but the car can still be set up to close to o.e spec, but I think adjustable lower ball joints may be needed. The rear hubs seem to be plug and play . Well mine were , although if using o.e rear brakes , you may just find you need a spacer between the brake carrier and the hub as the mounting bosses are thicker than the o.e steel ones, which moves the carrier relative to the rotor .
From the above you will have noted the obvious. Replacing like with like is straight forward. Make a change and other components may not quite fit the way they did before . Nothing that is not fixable, but you need to be aware. The alloy hubs are nicer and several kg lighter. As long as the bearing is four bolt, the R32 ones fit , as do the bolts, drive shaft bolt, front strut pinch bolt . If you are getting alloy hubs, get the brake hose/ abs sensor bracket with it as it is not the same as the iron hub. Part numbers. I will look up and post . However, if you go to VAGBOLTS , they list many of the bolts needed and have useful diagrams. A good place to start. Also try 7ZAP . Get to the R32 and you can also find the part numbers. However, if using alloy hubs, especially for the rear, the R32 ones are too short. Stick with 7ZAP and go to the AudiTT ( mk2 Quattro) .
Hope this mindless ramble helps a bit .
That's perfect mate thanks very much for the info. I'm slowly piecing it all together!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Handbrale saga continues. Done around 100 miles or so now. The brakes are extremely effective. Pedal has a bit more travel than I would prefer, but I accept I am fussy . The hand brake is still not going to be good enough. Several options, but as I have some aluminium plate , I am beginning to work on plan’c’ , not least as this plan does not require me to spend any money on shiny bits yet , although ultimately it is an expensive one .
And in case you are wondering, plan’ a’ is to give in and put the o.e brake callipers back on with the 310x22 two piece rotors , new cables and get on with life . That would also reduce my pedal travel a bit , so slaughter a number of birds with one projectile .
plan ‘b’ is to get some Audi 356x22 rotors, make an adaptor for the o.e callipers , new cables as before .Slight snag there is the Audi Offset would mean I needed a wheel spacer , of at least 5mm. I know that. 10mm one makes the tyre could the arch , so that solution, whilst nice ( with Epytec spigot rings as the rotor hub diameter is 2mm larger ) could bite me on the bum.
And Plan ‘c’ . Replace the 4 pot handbrakemcalliper with a similar 4 pot (4x28mm) and then fit an electric handbrake ( HIspec) , hence the Ali plate and the milling machine .
More to follow when mill and Ali have met .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
A bit of progress on plan ‘c’. One adaptor begun , which bolts in place of where the disc splash guards fitted. On the alloy hub there are 4 bolt holes and all four are in the same plane, making it easy to make an adaptor. On the steel hub, only three and not all in the same plane , so Gas Machine tool Auto part Machine Metal
Automotive tire Wood Gas Machine tool Machine
Automotive tire Wood Machine Auto part Metal
would be a bit more of a nuisance .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Irony is that the brakes are really good.Very tempted to leave them as they are and find a friendly MOT tester in June , with the o.e brakes as a backup in case the tester is not quite that friendly . Also have to say that as the pads bed in , the handbrake is slowly improving a bit .Next real expense is a set of track day wheels and tyres , and a pair of 4/5 point harness seat belts and a fire extinguisher .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
The next little job. Sit back for this one, it will take a moment . I have fitted one piece rear coilovers ( AST) . Very happy with the instalation and they go well with the Verkline subframe and various rose jointed arms. However, from the word ‘go’ I have had a nagging concern. It centres on the lower coilover mount which uses the damper mounting . That mounting is a single 14x1.5 bolt which is only supported at its inner end ( ie in single shear ) . All fine and dandy for the loads that a damper will create , but now mine has the added load of the corner weight of the car and the consequent suspension loads . All of a sudden a cantilevered bolt does not look quiet so clever. Now, a number of manufactures have done just this, but not with 1.6 ton R32’s . So ,plan (a) was to make a new wishbone with a coilover mount on it . Certainly get that to work but the cost in new rose joints would have been quite high. Plan (b) is to fabricate a bracket which transfers the load from the damper/ spring mount down to the bottom mount which is accessible as I am not using the o.e wishbone but my own rose jointed arm . Anyway , mock-up in the first few pictures and the working version in the others . Still have the other side to do , and I am sure it will make no difference , except to my peace of mind . Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Machine Auto part
Milling Wood Gas Saw Machine
Wood Rectangle Household hardware Hardwood Composite material
Rectangle Wood Table Gas Hardwood

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
It won’t and you won’t bin it . And as you are using steel hubs, no need to give this a second thought . I got some new bolts ( bmw) , shortened them slightly but made sure that they penetrated the hub to within a couple of mm of the full depth of 39mm . Lot of load hanging off the end of that bolt that was threaded about 20mm into aluminium . Hence my adaptation .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
And the next news. MOT passed successfully yesterday . The mechanic enjoyed his trip underneath . God knows how they tested the handbrake but it was all ok. And then the calamity. My stupid fault . Big kerb edge on the exit of their forecourt which I did not see. Not to worry, my nearside rear wheel did . The stainless rim protector took most of the damage but it still knocked a small chunk out of the extreme rim of my BBS CH-R wheel. Absolute bugger and my error . Wheel is straight and appears uncracked , but I got home and took a whole bottle of pissed off tablets .

301 - 320 of 358 Posts