VW Golf R32 Forum banner
341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I get the impression that you guys hqve trackdays year round there? While possible miserable you guys can still find one in say january? Everything is wrapped up here by the end of september except for a few private days for the fatcats with the really expensive toys....

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
Next update . Bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and ordered some Vibratechnic engine mounts to match my dogbone one and so I will fit them when I do the coolant pipe/ hose/ radiator change . I also ordered a Verkline front subframe to match the rear one , and that is due in next week, so in the meantime I went to the local breakers, got a gen3 rack from a 2010 Mk Golf TDI , complete with loom , pulled a few bits off it , cleaned it , repaired the loom and put on some new connectors and now just deciding which arms and track rod ends to buy ( alloy hubs remember ) : the mk6 golf or the mk2 Audi TT . Oh. The motor is from a mk6 Golf R so with any luck I will have a decent power assistance curve
Ac adapter Automotive exterior Gas Wire Electrical wiring

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
Breaking news on the electric parking brake saga. Company in the States that developed the circuitry have produced a new version which was dispatched to me yesterday .It should be with me in three weeks are so . My regular reader may recall that the original one looked very neat and its lights lit up nicely but developed a very bad habit of catching fire when operating the calliper , which I thought was a slight design limitation. Fortunately the manufacturer agreed entirely and spent a long time developing and trialling a new version using different driver chips . Anyway , he thinks he has nailed it so I will find out soon after it arrives on our shores .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Wheel Tread
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
The one on the left is the Compbrake 4 pot with mechanical handbrake and the one on the right, Compbrake 4 pot with electric handbrake . Both use the same pad ( same as the front pads on the 6 pots ) and mount in the same way so the electric one will bolt straight on to my home made adaptors without having to design and make new ones .The hold up was the controller which had a few problems. Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electrical supply
Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering
The picture on the left is the PCB installed in a box that I made , complete with aero connections and the one on the left is the pcb out of its cosy little home looking sorry for itself after trying its best to operate the callipers and failing .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Nearly there .Rhe new and heavily revised PCB arrived on Saturday so I did a trial fit and mock up of the full system but with the callipers lying on the floor of the boot. Power on , no smoke. Ignition on , still no smoke . Button pressed. Callipers clamped and the light went red. Button pressed again and the callipers unclamped and the light went......red. Bugger . However,the whole system works( I tried it ten more times just in case) so I now just have to solve the button light as it would be nice to know when the hand brake is on and when it isn’t .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lol, fire is no good. Those verkline frames look so cool, i wish shipping wasn't so stupid....

Interested in the rack mod. What's the reasoning? Different assistance you say? Maybe i'll look closer. I saved the one from the passat, no idea if they are the same. I guess the logic is programmed into the rack itself eh?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Simple .The gen 2in the Mk5 Golf will not fit in the Verkline frame: only the gen3 rack will fit . With that comes the issue of the power assistance parametric loaded into the motor controller . Hence my need to change and my wish to get something like the Mk6 R or TTRS motor .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
The electric parking brake episode 8 . Return of the resistors . Yep.It works .And the red and green led warning lamps even light up at the correct times . I am going to try to,install later this week if at all possible. Resistors are to ensure a current limit and the lights behave themselves thanks to a double pole push button momentary switch and a double pole latching momentary pulse relay with a slight internal modification . Tire Light Bicycle tire Bicycle Wheel
Helmet Wood Automotive tire Automotive design Gas
Helmet Wood Automotive tire Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
And today digit extracted .Got the new callipers mounted , piped up and bled( slight modification to my adaptors but nothing that an hour on the mill would not fix ) . Completely forgot to photograph but will rectify that over the weekend . Next job is to install the wiring , control unit and the switching and then hope .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
And here are a couple Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Alloy wheel Wheel
Tire Wheel Locking hubs Automotive tire Vehicle brake
Seem to work really nicely , hold the car well, great rear brakes as before so reasonably happy after a lot of blood, sweat and tears . Helmet Wood Automotive tire Automotive design Gas
Tire Light Bicycle tire Bicycle Wheel
The controller and console were photographed whilst still in the ‘ lash up ‘ stage on the bench. Installed, the controller just has four aero style connectors and a lid !

341 - 358 of 358 Posts