VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,

Want to pick your brains.

I'm thinking of getting a DA polisher as I think it's the logical next step in detailing.
Only thing is I'm not sure what polish to use

I'm looking for something that will polish out light swirls….

My usual is as follows, forgetting the wash clay stages:
  1. Polish
  2. Poor boys black hole
  3. Jetseal 109
  4. Purple haze
  5. Redmist.

Elite car care have suggested Megs Ultimate compound, but I don't know if that's a little extreme for light swirls/polish?

You opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Alright guys,

Want to pick your brains.

I'm thinking of getting a DA polisher as I think it's the logical next step in detailing.
Only thing is I'm not sure what polish to use

I'm looking for something that will polish out light swirls….

My usual is as follows, forgetting the wash clay stages:
  1. Polish
  2. Poor boys black hole
  3. Jetseal 109
  4. Purple haze
  5. Redmist.

Elite car care have suggested Megs Ultimate compound, but I don't know if that's a little extreme for light swirls/polish?

You opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Do you follow this process everytime you do your car? Just curious cos I've just bought some red mist tropical and it clearly states not to apply to fresh wax?! I bought it as a qd spray to touch up between waxes but not sure if that's what I need?

I too am looking at a da though so will be watching this thread

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate,

The above list is for when i do a full detail, and when i do i have always put the red mist on after 24hs of putting on the wax. You don't really need to i just love the wet look it gives

I mostly use the red mist for topping up the wax as you said on the intermediate washes between full details. Works Brillaint for that purpose and you get great results! However... You will want to make sure you don't have any water marks as it look pap if you do
learnt that the hard way when trying to do it in a rush

As for the DA, think iv cracked what I want and am going to order today hopefully
may even get to use it before gti inters

Chris

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi mate,

The above list is for when i do a full detail, and when i do i have always put the red mist on after 24hs of putting on the wax. You don't really need to i just love the wet look it gives

I mostly use the red mist for topping up the wax as you said on the intermediate washes between full details. Works Brillaint for that purpose and you get great results! However... You will want to make sure you don't have any water marks as it look pap if you do
learnt that the hard way when trying to do it in a rush

As for the DA, think iv cracked what I want and am going to order today hopefully
may even get to use it before gti inters

Chris
Nice one, I've not had chance to use it since i bought it so wasn't sure if it was what i needed but sounds good

What DA have you decided on ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello mate.

If i had to recommend a DA id suggest the DAS 6 pro, or the megs 220 v2. If its an r32 your thinking of doing then german paints tend to be quite hard. Your want a decent level of cut if your wanting to remove swirls / minor scratches. bear in mind that a DA is a lot more work the a rotary. As a rule of thumb if you can feel a scratch with your finger nail then you wont totally remove it. 3m polishes are good, as are megs and menzerna. The megs micro fibre system is a good place to start. If it were me id use something like Megs 83 medium cut with a chemical guys green hex-logic pad, followed buy a finishing compound like Megs 205, or menzerna final finish and a blue hex-logic. Scholl concepts also have some great products on the market. that should offer a good level of correcting followed buy a nice glossy finish. Have a look in Detailing world at the DA guide. Holograms are easy to cause especially when cutting. Correct Technique is key. Although not as big of an issue as a rotary i've still seen some horror sights! On the up side a PTG isn't needed with a DA and they tend to be pretty forgiving. you should achieve a good level of correction. Remember to keep Clean, use IPA wipe down solution to Keep the working area clean and remove splatter. use 3-4 pea sized dollops of compound dont go over board. work evenly and use a old brush and water to keep the pad clean, dont get clogged up. clean every 2-3 passes. FInish with a decent wax and happy days. Also make sure a really good decontamination is carried out prior to machining. heres a few pics of my clio williams i a few months ago. using the micro fibre system. Hope this helped. on;y a quick right up...

before

Decontamination stage.

paint Inspection

Be sure to tape the DA to ensure it spins and doesnt just vibrate

After two passes....

IPA wipe down

Heres the results

I used Dodo juice supernatural to wax.

Job done. hope this helped mate

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for you reply Kev! Really appreciate the detail and time you took!

Thanks for the recommendations also! I've decided on the dad 6 pro for sure but am still trying to pick my polish! CYC have recommended mgs ultimate compound on orange hex. Then I will follow up with poor boys bh on a black hex.

I'm wondering if I need and intermittent stage after the UC, ie one of the finishing compounds you said :/

My cars paint work is in good condition, so the level of cut I need is just to kill the odd swirl
the main reason for the da is to get the mirror finish

What are your thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
The one thing i would say is that the black hex offers no cut. its for applying liquid waxes etc. BH i think is a filler but offers an awesome finish! seen some top notch results. I use UC personally i find it quiet hard to work with and not overly impressed with the results. A similar combo would be megs 105 and 205. That will offer the cut and the finish. you can get all in one compounds like the UC or the scholl ones i mentioned. but again personally i use one for correction, and one to finish. Basically it does what it says. First removes swirls a RDS, sometimes the compound will cause slight holograms ( the more aggressive compound usually ) so a finish is used to remove them, and add depth, gloss and "finish" I use CYC too, its a top site, and some seriously good detailers on it. a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's one of those things the more you read into the harder it is to choose :s Ahaha

As the BH is a filler I thought the black hex would be ideal?

Blimey I really don't know what to choose now
I really don't need much cut :/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes your right. but its a glaze not a finishing compound. you could if you wanted to, correct, finish, glaze, wax. or correct, glaze, wax. I'd recommend a finishing compound though really does make the difference. take a read of this. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859 it should help clear things up. just keep it simple, try not to over complicate things. I use menzerna final finish on occasions, but what i use is determined by the car make, and level of correction needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts