VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed there Steering wheel for a race wheel? I kept my race wheel from my M3 when I traded it in for the R32, And I purchased a new MOMO wheel hub, but I am having a hard time getting my steering wheel off the R32. I had no trouble installing the momo hub on my M3.

There were 2 screws in the back of the wheel that released the air bag so you could remove the built on the steering wheel. I believe the R32 is the same idea:confusedd:.

The problem is I don't know what the screws are on the back of the wheel to remove the air bag. Is it an Alan, star, Philip's or flat head. I have tried to use the same star driver I used on my M3 but it just go's into the holes and right through to the air bag. I didn't mess with it to much.... the last thing I want is to set the airbag off in my face!:vollkommenauf:

Any help would be great Thank You:top:

·
6,197 Posts
from memory its a 5mm or 6mm Allen key.....you have to go a little way in to find the head of the bolt...you will not hit the airbag..all the electrics for it are tucked away...becareful when removing! there is a very delicate ribbon cable that carries the airbag info to the car.....ps when you put the momo on will you not be driving round with the airbag fault light on all the time?
Hope this helps
J

·
3,732 Posts
surely you could just remove the fuse/bulb for the fault light, personally i like the idea of airbags, british drivers are maniacs :D

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slapbladder said:
from memory its a 5mm or 6mm Allen key.....you have to go a little way in to find the head of the bolt...you will not hit the airbag..all the electrics for it are tucked away...becareful when removing! there is a very delicate ribbon cable that carries the airbag info to the car.....ps when you put the momo on will you not be driving round with the airbag fault light on all the time?
Hope this helps
J
Awsome thank you I will try tonight:party::beer:

And the momo hub comes with a bypass or something for the airbag so you wont get the light. I have never used it befor though on my M3 I just removed the light, I had a 95(OBD1) so I figured it didn't matter. I will be triing not to get the light on the R.

When I get it on I will tell everyone how it went and wethor or not i have the airbag light on.

Thankx for the help!!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
akita1 said:
Would this not invalidate the insurance if the airbag was removed ? just a thought
Only if you tell them:proud: I don't know.... you only get a discount for having airbags, and I was in a pretty good accident with my M3 ((before I removed my airbag)) and they didn't even go off anyway. Worst case I guess is If I got hurt in the accident they could say that I mite not have gotten hurt if the airbag was in, but it would still cover if I hit someone and my passengers.

·
572 Posts
Very Cherry said:
all these differing opinions....i say sod it, just [email protected] it with a hammer and live life on the edge :D

(maybe while wearing a showercap, woolen gloves, ski google and flippers just for the hell of it :laugh:)
And a safety helmet..................are you sitting in the Pub next to me Cherry??

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skee said:
To remove Mk4 airbag you push in a screwdriver and jiggle it around a bit then it should just pop out, no screewing is needed, you need to touch a spring inside to pop it out...

this may help http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/control_stalk.htm
Could the airbag come off different being that I am In america with a left hand drive?
And those pic's are for a TDI I could be wrong but the tdi wheel is different than the R32?

anyways I havent done the swap yet I had to order a new MOMO hub. It was missing the wires.
I should have time tomorrow after work to swing by my buddy's shop and we'll get in on the car.

he said 5mm alan sounds right. But we'll find out and I'll tell you guys who was right.

Thankx for the help!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very Cherry said:
disable the bulb?
Thats what it did on my M3 but I'll deal with it for a wile. I don't know about over there but right now over here it's winter and it just snowed again! I don't have a garage so if I don't have to work on my car out in the snow I'm not going too.

·
190 Posts
Not as simple as pulling a bulb on the mk4 as its all done on a circuit board and not individual bulbs

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea you have to disable it through the comp right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.