VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , ive decided id like to try and keep my car nice and clean i have never been overly fussed about it but then again i have never realy had a car worth spending time on making it look clean
and i understand that there is soem people that will be realy into it im just looking to sepnd a few hours on a sunday morning looking after my car

i seem to have a mix of products that i dont realy use or even know how to or when haha
some of what i have:-
i have a small meguires kit containing the nex gen stuff
meguires:-
wash
liquid wax
glass cleaner
metal polish
tyre suff
meguires lamswool and ultimate wash mitts ,some aplicator pads and some microfibres and galss towel.
autoglym:- wash and conditioner and bug and tar remover
poor boys wheel sealant
and a leather
and just brough turtle wax original hard shell shine

now what do i do with them? and what other products do i buy

i was looking into clay stuff do i do taht as i bet the car never been done before

what order do i do things?
would i
wash?
clay?
polish?
wax?
im realy looking for advice please

·
90 Posts
Detailin is a rather large can of worms really...It's more about preference and tryin things that beleiveing what people say. For me it's been trail and error and some invalable advice.

Depending on the current state of the car i would recomment getting someone to PC/rotary polish it. Then maintain it yourself. By all means give it a shot yourself, but buyin the gear will easily set you bak 2-3 hundred. Which in essence is the price of a good detail.

Maintaining wise.

Wash:

Zymol sponge (Ignore the haters)
Chemical guys - Citrus gloss

Dryin:
Chemical Guys Ultra flush dryin towel (Pat dry, not wipe)

Polish....Wouldn't bother.

Glaze:
Clearkote Red moose

Seal:
CG Blitz or Jeff's Acylic

Wax:
Swissvax ONYX

That combo will see you right. I swear by it on my car.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i seem to have done lots of reading and reading i read all the guides on polishedbliss and it is a can of worms and i am still so confused
mine is a reflex silver ans has a few stone chips i think i am going to havea go at claying the car soon what clay do people recomend?
and then a light polish? to bring up ready to
take a wax/sealant?

and then is that the hardest and most time consuming bit done?

after that id be looking to wash the car ever week what do i do then? like after the weekley wash?

thanks again it just seems like endless reading and im just not getting any more understanding im easyl confused i just want the car to look right and cared for and for porple to say look taht cars clean and well looked after i will never be into spending all day on my car just a few hours at the weekend

thanks

·
3,732 Posts
if your just looking to give her a good shiny clean then the in depth stuff can hit the backburner

my weekly routine takes about 45 minutes to an hour and leaves her lovely

- rinse with hose to remove grit and dirt
- warm not hot water with autoglym shampoo or zipwax rinsing each panel after washing to prevent soap marks using a halfrauds soap magnet sponge
- chamois dry
- the spectacular dodo juice applied panel at a time and buffed off
- cup of tea/beer and admire :D

i get more crazy with things like degreaser and glass cleaners, wheel cleaners etc every other month

·
64 Posts
once you start bud, it's really addictive! try www.cleanyourcar.co.uk they have a really friendly forum and you get a bit of a discount if you buy from him. i use megs gold class wash and condition, sonus drying towel. i stopped using a leather coz apparently they cause most of the swirls in your paint. then if my shoulders up to it ill giver her a polish. i'm thinkin this year though ill polish her properly and seal the paint etc to see what it looks like and how long it lasts. it is mostly trial and error though to see what you prefer on your motor, i really like the silicone wheel spray auto glym do, it keeps 'em clean a bit longer and easier to wash after:smile:

·
83 Posts
loosebmx said:
i seem to have done lots of reading and reading i read all the guides on polishedbliss and it is a can of worms and i am still so confused
mine is a reflex silver ans has a few stone chips i think i am going to havea go at claying the car soon what clay do people recomend?
and then a light polish? to bring up ready to
take a wax/sealant?

and then is that the hardest and most time consuming bit done?

after that id be looking to wash the car ever week what do i do then? like after the weekley wash?

thanks again it just seems like endless reading and im just not getting any more understanding im easyl confused i just want the car to look right and cared for and for porple to say look taht cars clean and well looked after i will never be into spending all day on my car just a few hours at the weekend

thanks
I've got a reflex silver R32 as well, problem with the Silver is that it will never look as stunning as a DBP or Black, but that's not to say you can't get a good finish still!

I would reccommend a Sonus clay bar from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk. Much softer than a Meguiars one so you have less chance of marking your paint. Remember to change your piece of clay every few panels and keep working it in your hand as you go. If you drop your clay, never re-use it!

Light polish or a paint cleaner would be fine next. I use P21S paint cleaner, easy to use and does a really good job.

Personally, I use Poorboys EX-P with Carnuba sealant on a bi-annual basis and then use P21S wax (amazing stuff) every month or so.

From clay to sealant/wax I would say a good days work done properly, definitely worth the effort.

Then it's just a weekly wash, with Meguairs NXT/Zymol/Gold Class shampoo and a lambswool wash mitt (sponge hater here!). Dry with a Sonus drying towell. I can get carried away with interior/glass/tyre dressing etc!

·
286 Posts
Kris said:
I've got a reflex silver R32 as well, problem with the Silver is that it will never look as stunning as a DBP or Black
Well that's wrong for a start, you can get a whole different type of glimmer on reflex silver that'll make the DBP boys jealous and the black boys go home in a puddle of they're own tears, you ain't tryin hard enough!:nurse:

·
3,732 Posts
dannyrado said:
Well that's wrong for a start, you can get a whole different type of glimmer on reflex silver that'll make the DBP boys jealous and the black boys go home in a puddle of they're own tears, you ain't tryin hard enough!:nurse:
i have to agree with that to an extent. my gti is reflex and when waxed right she looks almost white :D

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
Silver can be a very rewarding colour to work on..

Achieved using:

Polish: Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze
Sealent: Poorboys EX-P
Wax: Natty's Red + Optimum Car Wax

·
286 Posts
Very Cherry said:
lol...work harder with your wax :driver:
Seconded!

Achieved with:

Chem guys wash and wax
sonus grey clay
autoglym srp
Chem guys hardcore paste wax (this is gold in a tub):adore:
Megs ultimate detailer
elbow grease :boring:

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks all
so i have a lams wool wash mit, i got some meg nex gen shampoo already,
im going to get the sonus clay
just a bit stuck on what polish? (advice) i wouldnt say my paints in good or bad condition cant realy see alot of swirl marks bonnet has quite a few stone chipps
and what about sealer and wax? still undecided
and im going to get one of the sonus towels
whats the best thing for removing the polish and wax ? i have a few microfibres ?
thanks again

·
286 Posts
loosebmx said:
ok thanks all
so i have a lams wool wash mit, i got some meg nex gen shampoo already,
im going to get the sonus clay
just a bit stuck on what polish? (advice) i wouldnt say my paints in good or bad condition cant realy see alot of swirl marks bonnet has quite a few stone chipps
and what about sealer and wax? still undecided
and im going to get one of the sonus towels
whats the best thing for removing the polish and wax ? i have a few microfibres ?
thanks again
Good stuff with the mitt and wash.

Polish: I'd say autoglym super resin polish, it's got a very mild abraisive and is available everywhere.
Wax: Swear by any hard wax with maximum amount of carnuba in it, that's the important bit, i tend to ignore brand names. They're all pretty much the same, although i use the chemical guys harcore paste wax.

Microfibres are perfect.
Towels are ace!
Megs speed detailer or ultimate detailer are good as a very final touch. As is autoglym "show shine".
And as for the touch up/stone chips, i got a touch up kit from www.paints4u.com and it's great!

Dan.:rock:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts