VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Newbie to R32, tips & advice wanted

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Demon R32 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just browsing the net for a new ride! getting bored of my 3rd diesel in a row after owning GTI & VR's.

Skoda Superb Elegance (+L&K) DSG is great but just got the Mrs a 61 reg Touran 1.6 DSG...

So I no longer need a diesel.
Looking to P/X or sell and get a V6...
Its either bk to old skool with a Mk2 Vr6 or Mk3 Vr6
or go for a mk4/5 R32... ( budget is around 5k, dont wanna spend every penny i have on a car. I have a small family and business to run which are getting bigger)

I dont wanna splash out on this new car or be taking it to the garage every 3 months for repairs...

So,
please advise guys, some of you are on your 3rd R32.....
and im not sure which one will keep me happy and nobody is going to let me test drive all 3 and then say no.

P.s. I have a beautiful Rado VR6 (65k) in blackberry in my garage which is for the sunny days only.

So I cant use that. I need a good solid car that will get me to work and back which is 20 miles a day round trip.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, first of all, you've absolutely no hope of getting anywhere near close to a MK5 with a budget of 5k, and even for that on a MK4 you're looking at a high miler or an absolute dog.. Seems you'd be better off with a diesel if you're doing 100 miles a week commute. But, if you insist on a petrol motor, especially performance based, then i'd suggest sticking with your initial proposal of something MK2 or 3 but in 16v guise.. Unless you're absolutely loaded, then anything V6 based is gonna be costly on fuel and not the right avenue to go down especially seeing as you say you don't want to spend every penny on the car.. Ok, they're pretty reliable as long as they're maintained but it sounds like you need something with lesser cubes than an R..

Just buy something cheap and run the 'Rado for the nice days..

Of course, that's just my two p's worth..

P.S. Ultimate Dubs is in Telford on the 15th March.. You could pop down and have a chat to some of the boys on the stand, see what their take on it is.. It's also a nice way to introduce yourself.

#9 ·
Thanks Ryan,
I will pencil in that date for ultimate dubs.
My budget can be stretched, but only if the car is right as there is a lot of wannabe drivers out there with R32s that have not been looked after.
As I am no expert and I haven't owned one before, I need a bit of help to make sure I don't buy a dog.

I will keep reading through the forum to learn more about these cars and hopefully know what to look out for.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

100 miles a week commuting is nothing and equates to just over 5k miles a year and hardly warrants a diesel☺

Reactions: Tanvr6
#13 ·
cuprabob said:
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. 100 miles a week commuting is nothing and equates to just over 5k miles a year and hardly warrants a diesel☺
only just noticed that 100 miles is barely any at all , totally agree with your above comment

#14 ·
Ryan-H said:
Ok, first of all, you've absolutely no hope of getting anywhere near close to a MK5 with a budget of 5k, and even for that on a MK4 you're looking at a high miler or an absolute dog.. Seems you'd be better off with a diesel if you're doing 100 miles a week commute. But, if you insist on a petrol motor, especially performance based, then i'd suggest sticking with your initial proposal of something MK2 or 3 but in 16v guise.. Unless you're absolutely loaded, then anything V6 based is gonna be costly on fuel and not the right avenue to go down especially seeing as you say you don't want to spend every penny on the car.. Ok, they're pretty reliable as long as they're maintained but it sounds like you need something with lesser cubes than an R.. Just buy something cheap and run the 'Rado for the nice days.. Of course, that's just my two p's worth.. P.S. Ultimate Dubs is in Telford on the 15th March.. You could pop down and have a chat to some of the boys on the stand, see what their take on it is.. It's also a nice way to introduce yourself.
lol you would need to go 1000 miles a week to need a diesel

#16 ·
Ryan-H said:
Yeah to be fair you and Bob are right.. I was just thinking more in terms of saving cash but yeah, that's not much.. I don't know what i was thinking.
lol we all do it read and don't think and post (me more than most)

Your only human (just about lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.