VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sat listen to Radio one's new, they claim "which car" are saying that super fuels like V Power dont acctully do much for our cars.

What do you all reckon? Is it just in our heads? :marchmellow:

Guy

·
3,732 Posts
they probably all drive 1.2 corsas :D

i would love to see them hold a discussion with the head of shell research and developement and say that.

G

·
I would be interested in seeing this too, as all the previous test have shown high octance fuels not only increase performance but also economy.

If they run the test on as VC says 1.2 Corsas or the like you are unlikely to notice the difference.

Our cars run better on 98+ RON :151:

Mine always gets treated to the good stuff - especially now that the Tesco ner my home and work both sell the 99 stuff - which is much cheaper than V-Power :151:

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what you on about 1.2 Corsas RULE!!!! hahahaha..

Yeh i don't put anything but VPower in mine. Luv it :)

·
18 Posts
Depends if your car is mapped for higher octane fuels or not.

My understanding is that the R32 is mapped for 97, putting 95 in could lead to the ignition being retarded sue to knocking which will reduce power. The ignition won't be advanced past the 97 settings though so BP 102 whould be pointless.

G

·
_Nathan_ said:
Depends if your car is mapped for higher octane fuels or not.

My understanding is that the R32 is mapped for 97, putting 95 in could lead to the ignition being retarded sue to knocking which will reduce power. The ignition won't be advanced past the 97 settings though so BP 102 whould be pointless.
The ECU will learn that the quality of fuel has gone up, regardless of whether the car has been remapped or not, it will take a tank or two, alternatively you could disconnect your battery.

As I said above VW recommend 98+RON

·
Registered
61 Posts
well my father owns a station and the quality of the fuel is definatley improved as you go up, not just in octane terms but they higher quality has less trash in it as well.

·
18 Posts
khutula said:
The ECU will learn that the quality of fuel has gone up, regardless of whether the car has been remapped or not, it will take a tank or two, alternatively you could disconnect your battery.

As I said above VW recommend 98+RON
Are you saying that the car would adjust ignition to use 102 RON fuel if you put that in? It'd advance the ignition that far beyond it's programmed parameters?

I understand that if you use low grade fuel it will detect detonation via the knock sensors and retard the ignition to avoid det, and that when you go back to decent fuel it'll advance back to what it considers the ideal timing (based on the map) but I don't see how it'll go beyond that? I thought that the map is effectively it's target for ignition timing, AFR etc and it'll try and use that map but can retard ignition to prevent engine damage?

When back to back testing was done on a CSL the 102 RON fuel was not much different to the 99 octane fuel, CSL is mapped for 98 by the way.

Graphs were done after using 3 tanks of each fuel.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
seems like the green line BP 102 runs much smoother, not a lit of peaks and valley's int he power/torque curve.

·
18 Posts
They look about the same to me once you get past 3k and the engine is actually working properly rather than labouring along in the wrong gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts