VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
i've finally got my steel grey r as i wrote last week.it's come to wales from northern ireland.i've had unbelieveable trouble trying to tax it.has anybody else gone through thi fuss and bother and what's the solution?i'm getting very frustrated trying to pay the government an extortionate amount of money.any hints please???
thanks, phildude

·
1,084 Posts
If the car is from Northern Ireland, I don't see why there is a prob. N.I is part of the UK.

Martyn sounds like he's speaking from experience though.

Let us know how you get on, as I will be importing my R in a couple of years.

(Congrats on the arrival though:D)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You think that is bad , you should try to reg an english plate over to northern Ireland and the extra fees need to pay coleraine DVLNI. I bought new plates for the r32 on holiday at xmas while the car was being built, I ended up puting them on the car at the start of may then as I had an L and 1 pushed slightly to close together I was pulled by the old PSNI and fined !!!! Now the guys at Castlereagh Police Station are keeping a close eye till I get legal ones on.

·
239 Posts
I feel your pain Phil, i'm in exactly the same situation with my TR mk4. Previous owner bought it off some guy in N.I. but never imported it so for me to tax it i have to....

Take log book, MOT cert and insurance doc into dvla and they will then import and register the car in my name. At which point i'll then be able to tax the car but this comes with a £55 charge for importing. Hopefully it will be as easy as it sounds but its still annoying that the previous owner never bothered to do it.

Oh and Tokyo Dub although N.I. is part of Britain it has DVLNI which is seperate from DVLA so any car coming or going will be classed as an import/export.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts