VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick note to pick your brains....

Before I got my .:R I had a JCW Mini and in all honesty, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I topped her up with oil. However the .:R does seem to be drinking it quote profusely!

To give you an idea, I've kept a rough note of the oil movements and mileage (please note the figures below are roughly right, give or take a couple of hundred miles):

7200 miles - Oil and Filter service carried out
8440 miles - Oil light came on. Not sure at what point it comes on (whether it's just a warning to start with), but I topped it up with about 2/3 of a litre.
9300 miles - Oil light again, topped up roughly with 300ml of oil.
10840 miles - Oil light again, topped up with 1/2 a litre of oil.

Like I say, the miles and accurate figures on the amount I put in aren't exactly there (I'm doing this from memory), but basically every 1000 miles or so my oil light seems to come on.

I've got the car booked in for it's 10k service on Saturday and I'm having a full oil and filter service carried out. I'm just wondered if I should ask them to monitor it or not? Also questions I have are:

1. Is my car burning excessive oil, or is this just the nature of the engine? (I've never had a 3.2 V6 before, so it might be normal).

2. When the oil light comes on initially, is this just a warning (i.e. like a fuel light) or are you running very low on oil?

Cheers all, any help is much appreciated and will put my mind at rest!!

Chris.

·
947 Posts
Mine never needs topped up with oil. Only gets oil every serivce.

·
616 Posts
That's a lot of oil! I drop the oil every 5-6K but it's never been down on oil....:011:

·
20 Posts
Does sound a bit excessive,i havent put a drop in mine during the 9k Ive covered. What was your consumption like prior to the oil and filter change?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
again i think thats a bit high, mines not needed a top up at all !

I'd have a look and see if theres any sign of a leak underneath

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers lads!

According to VW the official consumption stats are that a minimum tolerance of 1 litre per every 625 miles for the R32!!

I think my car is burning excessive amounts of oil, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it as my car is within VW guidelines :(

I'm not actually using the long life Castrol oil, but am using Synta Gold (fully synthetic) instead. There is also no leakage from the car.

I'm up at APS (tuning company) tomorrow for an oil and filter service and am going to get them to investigate it for me.

Failing that, I would consider selling the car as I don't want any problems later on in it's life and my confidence has already been shaken once following my engine being replaced at 4500 miles!!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
It may be within the VW guidelines but that sort of oil consumption would be worrying me.

Glad to see someones investigating it anyway

·
102 Posts
Chris, you wouldn't happen to be from mini2 by any chance would you?

If so, I just made the same switch. Have you sorted the oil consumption yet?

·
748 Posts
Maybe the oil sumps cracked or the seal has gone? thats alot of oil mate!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts