VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst checking my oil ( on flat ground and with a cold engine ) I've noticed my
Dipstick reads as if there's almost double the amount of oil than there should be, I'm hoping its just caused from the end of the dipstick rubbing along the radius of the guide as its a long way to the bottom of the engine. Has anyone else found this or should I just drain the oil out?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G

·
To much oil can cause major issues as can to little I was always told never fill above the max mark run it at yr own risk

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Every time I have a service and they put the recommended amount in my level is about an inch above maximum,

I now ask them to only put a bit in until it levels just to below the maximum level

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

G

·
Every time I have a service and they put the recommended amount in my level is about an inch above maximum,

I now ask them to only put a bit in until it levels just to below the maximum level

That's mad I'd shit my self if mine came back an inch over the dipstick level

·
Registered
559 Posts
MIQ said:

I've just tryed it again, and letting the oil settle in the guide tube makes a difference as does turning the dipstick around. Cheers guys.. Mind is at ease now !

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Andy G said:
That's mad I'd shit my self if mine came back an inch over the dipstick level
They even did that at vw in macclesfield

·
2,204 Posts
I'm hoping its just caused from the end of the dipstick rubbing along the radius of the guide as its a long way to the bottom of the engine.
It's something along those lines.

The actual level will be the one where both sides of the dipstick are covered with oil the same. Oil that's found it's way up the tube and sticks to the stick usually one shows on one side and is streaky. I think oil 'walk's up the dip stick under braking perhaps and lingers in the curved part of the tube?

VW recommend checking the level a set time frame after stopping a hot engine. 15 or 20 mins rings a bell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts