VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
276 Posts
Took my car for a service, VW told me the bolt for the oil sump has seized, So when they try to tighten it up it just spins and doesn't screw in. VW charging me £480 for a new sump. They told me it wasn't cross threaded.

Is this a common problem?

·
19,388 Posts
It's important that the sump plug is tightened to the correct torque, otherwise thete is a risk of overtightening, which may have happened in your case, if it was not cross threaded.

Stripping the threads is common as the sump is aluminium but as far as I'm aware, the sump plug seizing is not, although the sump plug and sump are dissimilar metals so there is a risk.

If it's just spinning then the threads are stripped and it could be fixed by using a helicoil. Much cheaper than a new sump.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Had the captive nut come adrift on a vectra sump years ago so had to have a new pan fitted. Vauxhall dealer took three attempts to fit oil pans. First two kept leaking, they were brand new parts too!!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Not convinced it can 'spin' and not be crossed threaded. £480 is excessive. In the mean time you could weld the plug in place. Don't pay Stealer prices

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
A MKIV sump is about £140 not sure about a MKV one but won't be a lot of difference I wouldn't think...there taking your eyes out for supply and fit...get it done some where else.

It can be Heli coiled with out taking it off as well as I had mine done....just make sure they put the Heli coil in perfectly straight....mine was slightly off so ended up with a drip which is why I replaced it

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
How can a bolt be seized and yet be 'spinning'?

If they mean they removed the bolt to drain the oil, and then upon refitting the new bolt it now won't tighten up, then it is more likely that THEY stripped the thread. My VW did this last year, and they replaced the sump FOC.

·
276 Posts
They said it was seized but managed to get it off. When they tried to screw up the bolt it just kept spinning, So needs a whole new sump.

Well it would be my word against theirs, I can't argue with them as I have no proof. Maybe they damaged it but there's no way for me to know. It could be the metal expanding with the hot and cold.

I can't drive the car away as they can't refill it with oil.

·
19,388 Posts
They said it was seized but managed to get it off. When they tried to screw up the bolt it just kept spinning, So needs a whole new sump.

Well it would be my word against theirs, I can't argue with them as I have no proof. I could be the metal expanding with the hot and cold.
Sounds to me as if it was overtightened the last time the oil was changed making it difficult to het off this time. Threads have been stripped and it won't tighten. The bad guy is who changed.the oil the last time.

As I said, a helicoil would be a cheaper solution.

·
1,927 Posts
After this story and the new-engine-because-of-a-stripped-thread one, I know why I've never bothered with main dealers. Bunch of ferkin idiots!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Unless the new kid was tasked to drain the oil and doesn't know left from right? I know of many apprentices that have been tasked with the old oil change and make a rite balls of it! Funniest was a lad put 5 litres of fresh oil in a car, only he took the dip stick out and proceeded to pour all over the engine and radiator as the hole was 'a bit small' bless him

1 - 11 of 11 Posts