VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Help needed !!

Looking to buy either the MK5 R32 or the Audi S3 (06+) in a few months ready for the summer..

Would really like to know any genuine views people have on the S3's difference in speed, general performance and styling compared to the R32? (trying best not to be biased !!!!!)

I understand a lot of people claim that if they had to choose a car for pure driving experience and smile-factor, the R32 would be the most commonly preferred choice .. but pulling up to an S3, statistics suggest it would leave the Golf a few car lengths behind ?????

Do people simply go R because of the noise of the V6? Because surely the S3 is a fair bit quicker to drive .. so in theory - should be a lot of fun, no ?!!?!

Any opinions or experiences between these would be much appreciated ..

Thanks in advance guys .....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi, can't comment personally as haven't owned an S3 but this topic gets discussed quite a bit on here, give it a search and it should bring the threads up- lots of insight and opinions from the very knowledgeable guys on here.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
4,715 Posts
Both nice cars and I'm sure you will be happy with either.
S3 is a little quicker but not as much fun to drive

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

·
693 Posts
I test drove an S3 recently to see the difference between the two...

Obviously the S3 has a lot more tuning capabilities for less money than the R32, which will make it a damn sight quicker.

Although I found the drive of the S3 a lot more forgettable than the R32, I wasn't too much of a fan of the engine / exhaust note. I prefer the linear power given to you by the R32 as opposed to the Turbo's in the S3... And the V6 sound tops it off with a nice cherry.

It's swings and roundabouts really, test drive both and see what you like!

·
Registered
29 Posts
People do keep saying "its not as much fun" .. I just can't understand why? Handling and speed is meant to be better on the S3 simply due of the weight/power it has ........................ so is it just the V6 soundtrack its lacking? Orrrrrrr am i missing something ..?

Obviously the end of the day it is all down to personal preference so i'll have to drive the 2 of them to see for myself ..... until then - just wanted peoples views on the matter!

·
693 Posts
I think on here, no matter what people say, you're going to get a biased opinion, the same as if you went onto a dedicated S3 forum!

They're both great cars, an S3 would probably make a better daily driver, possibly less fuel costs and as said, a lot more tuneable...

Saying that I drive the R32 every day and love it. I get compliments from a few odd people when filling up etc and thumbs up from random kids.

There's no replacement for displacement I guess!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I'm truthful about this I had this same predicament 2months ago when I bought my car!!

I test drove both and they are completely different cars to drive, and well I am now the proud owner of a r32... I find it hard to move outta 2nd gear....... The v6 gurgle. Smiles every time!!

Personal preference at the end of the day....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im guessin the R32 with it's signature V6 purr would turn more heads than a S3 with the engine tone of any other 2.0 turbo & the simpler looks of an A3 S-line - but, is it that much more pleasing that you wouldn't want the S3 & tune it to 300+ BHP .....? That would surely be quality .. and something you wouldn't get bored of for a lonnngggg while .....?
meh.

Such a flippin predicament .....!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts