VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just wanted a 2nd opinion off you lot. Am looking at a car for my girlfriend. She has a mini one and is selling it and were are gonna get either a 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI GT (130 ps) or a 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI GT (140 ps). They are both decent, the Golf is about £2000 more than the polo. She does want a bigger car than the mini and the polo isnt that much bigger.

She can afford either one, both will be about as nippy as each other and return approx 45-50 mpg depending on driving style. I have had the 2.0 TDI in a new shape A3 and think its a good solid and quick engine, could easily do 530 miles a tank with mixed town/motorway driving. Polo will be about 450-500 miles per tank.

Which would you go for? I think the golf is the better car, fair enough its £2000 more but its a class higher, better newer engine, bit bigger/safer, more practical etc.. Would you agree or am I mad not to consider that polo more, it will be pretty quick, slightly more economical, cheaper to buy and fill up (45 litre tank = approx £60 vs 55 litre tank = approx £72)

We are gonna look and test drive both on saturday.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is the new shape one as well, 55 plate, 26,000 miles for £9,500. 130 bhp diesel.

They have just sold the golf we were gonna look at, gutted :dong: it looked really nice in 3 dr reflex silver. Can see another one but its a 5 dr

·
887 Posts
I would plump for the golf TBH, although it's just personal preference. I've driven a similar polo to the one you were looking at and whilst it was a great little car, I wouldn't chose it over the golf. As Tony said, nothing wrong with 5 doors!

·
1,957 Posts
If she's after something bigger then the Mini then it doesn't really make sense to get a Polo which as you said yourself, is barely bigger than the Mini.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rather she get the golf, its a better car full stop. Its her money though. I think I'll use the car in a few yrs tho, and think its the more practical car for the future too being a bit bigger.

There is another golf in bolton for similar money, its a blue 5 dr 2.0 tdi GT. may see this tomorrow.

Just prefer the lines and looks of a 3dr over a 5 dr, personal taste I guess. (So does she!!)

·
389 Posts
Has she thought about an Ibiza FR or a Fabia vRS Matey, there exactly the same car as the Polo but a little bit cheaper...

Out of the two though, I think the Polo will be better suited, it'll have all the basic 'toys' that the Golf has and be just as easy/fun to drive, but your not shelling out another £2000 for a little bit more space.

But the real test is in the test drive, I wanted a 306GTi for about 2years, took one out, hated it and bought an Ibiza 20VT the next day and loved it...

Just plonk her in both and see which makes her happiest :)

In a bit,
Leon.

·
402 Posts
Have to agree with Leon, has she checked out the VRS Fabia......if you can get through the badge then it seriously is pretty nippy (as would the Polo) -to be fair she would probably give you quite a hard time on themotorway with all that torque...

....if she wants a bit more she always get it mapped and then either will pull like a train

·
3,732 Posts
my mrs has had 2 polo's mildly modded and loved them both, she went from one into a golf and simply preferred the room. she missed the smallness of the polo with parking but the golf held more shopping so made more sense.

so in a nutshell, get the one she likes, as on paper theyre really not that much different other than size etc and drive em for a while. then either get the golf or get the polo and spend the extra on some mapping and rims :biggrin:

but surely you should spoil her? get the golf and R spec it up a bit, when i did that to the mrs's eos i got ssoooooooo laid :biggrin:

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
Personally I would go Polo; what is going to be the resale values of the two options?

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went to see the blue golf myself today, its got medium sized scratches on just about every panel, probably why its come down in price to £11,000. It just doesnt look as nice as the silver one for some reason, to me at least.

She will see and drive both tomorrow and decide. Had a brief look at the Seat Ibiza but prefer the VW badge. I know they are basically the same car, am a bit of a snob i guess!

thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts