VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I don't know if you have the Battery company Optima in the UK but they ar kinda popular in the US, they are a high end car battery that dosn't have battery Acid.

I did this HOW TOO for an VW site over here so I just cut and pasted here. If you don't have optima then this would only help some of the other USA people on this site.

It was snowing Yesterday So.......

I figured I would work on my car, out side in the snow. I'm a little crazy, bit I know we've all don it at some time.

I got a Optima battery, Red top. It was a bit of a project because as most of you know mk4 has a plastic shrowed and unless you want to junk the shrowed you have to get a battery that will fit. The regular Optima is 1/2 inch to big. I found a slightly smaller one, actually only a 1/2 inch so it was perffect. And the Terminals were farther apart witch is what you need. I am pretty shure this is the only Optima that will work!!

So to any one that was wondering if they could fit an Optima and keep stock apperance, here is how.

First Pull the cover off the battery( there are 2 buttons one on each side)

Now there are a second pare of buttons to remove the plastic peace on the top of the battery. You will want to take that peace compleatly off as you will need to modify it for the new Optima.

With that out of the way you can remove the turminal wires .

Then you must remove the cover on the back of the Drivers headlight to reveal the bolt down by the bottom of the battery. That is the only thing holding the battery.

Once that is off the Battery will come right out. Take the heat sheild off and put in on the optima in and re-install bolt and make shure Battery dose not wiggle.

Now re-install turminal wires. This is where it got tricky, I tried quit a few different ways to hook up the power cables and this is the only way I was able to get the cover to go on. Any other way the wires got in the way of the shrowed from snaping in.
The + wire is EZ the - wire you have to spin around abit to get it to work

Now you will need to put the plastic peice you took off back on, just temporaraly as you will need to notch out the bottom of that peice for the turminal screws.

With the notches cut in the plastic you will be able to install that peice.

All thats left is to put the shrowed back on and the back of the headlight and you are good to go!!

My new project for around next week will be my CAI

It'll look something like this.....

·
344 Posts
I use Optima batteries too & they're terrific, shed loads more cold cranking Amps than other batteries so great all year round!

Have got a Red top in my Mk4 & a Blue top (bit wierd i know as they're marine use usually...was an e-bay deal new) in my Rado VR

very practical mod!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
US R32, could you tell me exactly which model Optima You put in your R as i've been wanting to fit an optima since i bought the car but wasn't sure due to the nasty plastic casing situation!

I had and Optima in my last car (BMW Cooper S Mini) due to a factory starting problem and it solved the problem.

Thanks for any help!

Ben.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Nice write up.

Whats the difference over a stock battery other than its acid free ? Is it better cold weather starting ?

·
344 Posts
If you look on most Optima's the CCA or 'Cold Cranking Amp' rating is a lot lot higher than std types (Bosch) etc so great for starting in nasty weather, also if go for a 'yellow top' or 'blue top' even if you end up running the battery completely down (unlikely though that is), you can charge them back up again without damaging the batteries life-span.

Also the flip-side is i've gone off traveling for over a month before and come back tried my Rado (which has a blue top) and hardly gets used anyway and it fired up 1st turn of the key......like i say really practical mod!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Aye, if i new what model to get i'd probably get one as well. I think mines on it's way out, it certainly wont last another winter.

·
748 Posts
The batteries that should fit are:

OPTIMA® YellowTop R 3,7
OPTIMA® RedTop S 3,7

The dimensions are:

Length: 237 mm
Width: 172 mm
Height: 197 mm (height at the top of the terminals)
Weight: 16.6 kg

All of which should fit under the battery box. Have a measure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts