VW Golf R32 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, front discs on the golf are deteriorating and only got worse over the winter months, and pads aren't far behind. after pricing the discs up from VW i was nearly sick so decided i may have a look into other means of setups. seen a few people running porsche callipers? which i wouldn't mind looking into.
in terms of costs what may i be looking at?
and would i be right in thinking its callipers, brackets, discs, pads and possibly lines?
thanks for all advise

·
1,538 Posts
But do you think discs will be that much cheaper. I have ecs setup on mine and I'm going back to standard discs as they are cheaper than replacing with ecs stuff

·
2,303 Posts
I got mine done for about 600-700 all in and made 200 back on my standard set up so not to bad

I bought some 18z calipers from a cayenne stripped them down and had them soda blasted, Powdercoated red and rebuilt them using new parts where needed. You will also need the custom carriers, braided hoses, new discs if it needs them, pad fitting kit, brake fluid and brake pads

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
You still need the same size discs whatever you do.

The disc options are either oem or oem spec two part type which are lighter. Or aftermarket which are not two part discs but standard solid vented. These are the cheap ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys.
I see, didn't realise you still used standard r32 discs on a porsche setup.. maybe have a look into some aftermarket discs then!
out of curiosity is there a specific type of porsche calliper that works best? only seen cayenne and boxster?

·
650 Posts
But do you think discs will be that much cheaper. I have ecs setup on mine and I'm going back to standard discs as they are cheaper than replacing with ecs stuff
You can't use standard discs!! Part idea of the ECS kit is looks!!! The big brakes look awesome!!

·
730 Posts
thanks for the help guys.
I see, didn't realise you still used standard r32 discs on a porsche setup.. maybe have a look into some aftermarket discs then!
out of curiosity is there a specific type of porsche calliper that works best? only seen cayenne and boxster?
996 gt3 (6pot) is the best porsche set up you can get.
Then you have 996tt/C4s (4pot) calipers.
Then comes cayenne 6pot.
All of them most of the time use 334mm oem r32 discs.

·
877 Posts
You can't use standard discs!! Part idea of the ECS kit is looks!!! The big brakes look awesome!!
Bit misleading that fella, you can use standard discs depending on which Porsche brake calipers/adapters you use. Maybe you are trying to say that in your opinion you should always try to go bigger for the looks? Some brake kits can look awesome but actually ruin the braking ability of the car because you end up with a much "longer" brake pedal because the brake spec doesn't match the Mk4 master cylinder spec.

·
650 Posts
Of course that's what I'm saying. You can't downgrade from the big sexy stage 5 discs to standard discs!! That would be criminal!!!

The pedal travel in my stage 5 set up is no longer than a standard car.
Hope this clears up my point

Bit misleading that fella, you can use standard discs depending on which Porsche brake calipers/adapters you use. Maybe you are trying to say that in your opinion you should always try to go bigger for the looks? Some brake kits can look awesome but actually ruin the braking ability of the car because you end up with a much "longer" brake pedal because the brake spec doesn't match the Mk4 master cylinder spec.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I've been advised on K Sport (sound like a cheap chinese manufacturer I know!) - 6 pot caliper, supplied with 330mm discs - just have to pay your pads on top of price.
manufactured in the same place as the Forge ones - from what Ive been told anyway.

have a look at their site... Next on my "to buy list"

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
My mistake - 8 pot calipers, 330mm discs - bell & rotor style - for £899 inc vat just pay for your pads as an extra...

·
830 Posts
996 gt3 (6pot) is the best porsche set up you can get.
Then you have 996tt/C4s (4pot) calipers.
Then comes cayenne 6pot.
All of them most of the time use 334mm oem r32 discs.
Can I rehash this please, as I'll be looking to do this fairly soon.
Having researched this I can't get the answers I need, not sure if I actually can.....

If I am going to upgrade to porkers I want a balance between ability- they have to be better than std!
and looks - lure the sight of big red calipers under wheels!
and versatility with different wheels.

So I go 6pot will I be able to fit my std wheels and still tuck when dropped to the floor?

I'll also change to rims with ET of 35- will they still clear and give me the same tuck.

Lastly I love alphards, had them on my mk5 and at some stage will want a set on the R just because!!.-even if I can't tuck them in whilst running them sporadically
I know I,m asking a lot but will big 6pots allow me all of this?

Thanks in advance for all the help- did warn you when I joined the forum I ask a lot of questions lol

Matsu

·
Registered
323 Posts
iv got a whole new brake setup to go on my mk4 soon, thats new OEM discs which i think i got from carparts4less which were the most reasonable price i could find, then Porsche 996 calipers with the codes .29 and .30 at the end. then on the back its a brake setup from lucifer on here, which i believe is mk5 rear discs re-drilled to 5x100 and caliper spacers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
iv got a whole new brake setup to go on my mk4 soon, thats new OEM discs which i think i got from carparts4less which were the most reasonable price i could find, then Porsche 996 calipers with the codes .29 and .30 at the end. then on the back its a brake setup from lucifer on here, which i believe is mk5 rear discs re-drilled to 5x100 and caliper spacers
HI mate,
Just sent you a pm.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts