VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had the R all over the weekend now after picking up on friday all mot'd and serviced. I must say, very impressed and confirms all the reasons I chose to buy one. However.....I know I never bought the R for the power it has but rather the potential the car has for me to then further improve on. One area that surprises me is the gearbox. I have been used to 5 speed box's and am shocked as the low speeds you are limited by this new gearbox. It won't hit 60 in 2nd or 100 in 3rd? When I have read reviews of the R in magazines it always puzzled me why the 1/4 mile time was poor, now I know. I thought it was down to the huge bulk of it being 1500kg but I think it is also down to the gearing. My stock Corrado VR6 ran a 15.1 dead and the best I have seen for a stock R is 16.4. My Corrado would be passing the line in 3rd just nearing 100, the R would need another gear change which would account for quite a bit of time. I was wondering if it would be worth dropping to a 5 speeder for better acceleration times, or whether you could adjust the ratios so 6th gear is more of an 'overdrive'??

Overall, very pleased!! And the fact that it only has 14k on the clock makes it all the more sweeter - it still smells like a new car and feels so tight - the drivers seat isn't even bagging, yet!!

Here to many miles in the R...........Bring on the soon to be fitted turbo:cool:

·
645 Posts
remapp it takes off rev limiter should hit higher speeds in gears. anyone please tell me if i am talkin poo anyone

·
1,149 Posts
An R will go a lot faster than 16.4 on a 1/4 mile! From what i've read your looking at mid to late 14's.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seriously, a stock R will never ever hit 14s. Only imho, I have owned some serious cars, most of which I have run the strip in and the R is at best a high 15 sec car, maybe. Evo magazine ran it with timing gear and it was timed at 16.3 secs to 100mph so that means it natural 1/4 mile speed would be (v) high 15's. Removing the rev limiter sounds interesting but is that safe?

·
2,808 Posts
My remap revs to 7400rpm and will allow about:

63mph in 2nd
92mph in 3rd
125mph in 4th
and about 150mph in 5th
6th doesnt really do much I dont think, it only gets up to about 165mph

·
1,149 Posts
I'm not pulling your leg! My Lupo GTi did a 16.0 and that was standard the R32 is significantly quicker than that!

Look at this thread if you don't believe me!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
went to pod for last year spring festival and they were running 14.8 all day different driver and cars! and they were not giving it the beans of the line either. my old ibiza did 1/4 miles in 14.1 the r isnt to far behind on acceleration through the gears! so i recon just under 15 seconds is the time it should be doing it in

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
db7, wow seriously impressed and shocked too. It's obviously a lot faster than I thought/feels, that is a really good time, appologies for being totally wrong!! Rupo, interesting that sounds better. I would imagine that will get sorted on my car when it's booked it for it's work. I am interested to find out more on the gearkits though, Thanks for the replies!!

·
190 Posts
This was exactly the reason i remapped mine, i found it frustrating that the car would not to 60mph in 2nd gear

·
5,616 Posts
Yep, same here! APS remap lifts the limiter to 7,200rpm and is good for 60mph in second :D

·
1,149 Posts
Also if your car has been sat for a while it's worth checking that it's had the 6463 update as they're seriously crap before they have that, i know that mine would never even approach 14's without it! The power delivery completely changes and they pull much much stronger for longer :)

·
1,748 Posts
ur r is broke mate 15.1 is a decent time for a stock rado vr i manedged 14.6 in my golf with exhaust cams and remap then 13.6 with 320 bhp supercharged. iv now got what is effectivly a stock r32 im sure it needs the 6463 update i went santa pod on a day when they didnt prep the track ie anything over 4k rpm = sat on the limiter spinnuing all 4 wheels and i was doin 14.8-15.2 all day

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks eatthisvr6, however I can assure you my R is not broke, lol!!! I said I THOUGHT it was a high 15 second car not it WAS!! I have been corrected by owners who have run their car up the strip and shows that the car is quicker then I thought, which is obvioulsy good news!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.