VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen, i need your help, i'm going to put together a package deal for you all on speakers subs and amps, but i want some input from you good people.

Ok what i wanna know is the the following -

1. Do you just want new front speakers in all your R's? (its the norm in a golf size car as the rear speakers are just for ambient fill)
2. Do you want a sub aswell as front speakers? it doesnt have to take over the boot.
3. Do you want your front speakers amplified or do you just want to run them off the head unit?

Basically i wanna offer a solution that meets all your needs and fits all your budgets but without confusing you all with too much choice. I'll supply the decent brands and you guys choose the rest.

So for all you MkIV owners its 2 way components up front and for all you mkV owners its 3 way components up front.

Let me know if you have any questions and feedback.

Cheers Ladies and Gents.

Chris CCA

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
I'm clueless but if it helps...

When I come to do some audio mods, I won't want to spend over £500. I won't want to change my head unit. I'll be after a sound that has a deep base but I won't be wanting to sacrifice much (if any) boot space. I think the rear speakers are in the doors so maybe replace them and add a couple into the rear parcel shelf if required?

Told you I'm clueless lol. Haven't done any research on this yet.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not clueless at all, it pretty much confirms most of what i thought. I'm actually working on a pack price for the Mk V which would replace the front 3 way speakers in each door with new Hertz 3 way components and an Audison 2 channel amp fitted with Dynamat sound deadening in the front doors for around the £550 mark. The bass from these would mean no awful 6x9's on the back shelf, seriously crisp treble and nice mid range capabilities and everything is nice and stealth.

Cheers for the feedback, keep it coming.

·
1,084 Posts
I've heard good things about the Hertz speakers fitted into the OE positions on MkV's.

Are they hard to drive therefore need the Audison amp?

I personally would rather go for a reasonable HU say (4x50Wrms) and no amp or sub. Not into 6x9's either.

I'm still waiting for a nice HU with a USB slot that can control a (120GB) portable HDD (preferably showing file/folder names etc).

That's the type of system I'm after, although I'm not in the UK, but will be looking for this kind of setup when I return.

·
1,485 Posts
Why bother with a 3 way component kit? The standard positioning isn't very good is it?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Tokyo Dub, i'd reccomend going for something like a Pioneer DEH 5000UB. Rear USB input so you can tuck the wire away somewhere neat and not have a wire trailing down your dashboard. As for the Hertz 3 way set up, it'd be way better amp'd as the head unit would need to be continuously driving hard to hear the benefits.

Chris CCA

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EdHoskins said:
Why bother with a 3 way component kit? The standard positioning isn't very good is it?
Hi Ed,

the 3 way Hertz set up makes the best of the existing factory location without the need for modification, although the factory location isnt actually that bad, the woofer is positioned next to the drivers hip and while it may not be ideal for a coax speaker its not too bad for a woofer as its only delivering bass so you tend to feel it more than hear it. The Hertz system sounds absolutely awesome for the money, there isnt any speakers out there within £150 of them that touch them. What you think of the Revo stage 1 by the way? Any flat spots?

Chris CCA

·
1,485 Posts
Fair enough, I did look at the Hertz set before but decided against.

Revo Stg1 is spot on, no flat spots at all and pulls like a train all the way to the red line. On it's own I wouldn't bother, but coupled up with an exhaust, it's brilliant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.