VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Painting your calipers !

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Irf 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Thought I would share information which you probably all knew but as I have read some of your threads it seems not all.

I have been looking to refurb my wheel area so painting the discs inner part, calipers etc.

As I've read a lot of people have said about Halfords however do not use their own paint mixed up or tins for your calipers as this will simply just run off when up to temperature. Only use VHT paint for the calipers as nothing else will do and simply will not last anytime at all. Hammerstein is alright but again not suitable for calipers but is alright for the discs.

Enquiring at VW with regards to colour, yes the original golf was jazz blue and calipers matched but the calipers are non metallic unlike the jazz blue. There is no non metallic version either. There is no paint code for VW calipers, it is only listed as being painted red/blue and simply don't do paint for these. The other suggestion for colour which is a resemblance and is a flat colour that's on the polo's.

Have a think before getting your paint, especially for the calipers and if its too dark or light, a little adding of black or a white will alter it to the right shade without altering the properties of paint.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a couple of spray cans that are vw jazz blue, specifically calliper paint too so good for heat, cant remember for the life in me where i got it from though

#4 ·
What's that the code for? Jazz blue is LW5Z.

Can't find anywhere that does a close blue in VHT form. Just in the process of doing the wheel bolt caps/covers in black so look better than new then going to do discs then calipers and then the guards at the rear.

May post pics of process when done. Anyone any suggestions to blue VHT paint they've used then let me know.

DR B

#9 ·
I have read that the Foliatec brake caliper paint in blue is the same colour. Anyone tried it?

Sent from my blower by a cat

#14 ·
Yes ive used the blue Foliatec brake paint and is a very close match

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Attachments

#12 ·
If you want to do it properly you need to get the calipers powder coated in the original heat resistant paint. The powder coat colour is RAL5002 which VW's main office gave me (which looks fantastic when done).

The only problem is you can't strip the rear calipers fully for powder coating. In this case follow the advice above and have the jazz blue colour (same colour but not same painy as powder code RAL5002) mixed by Halfords or someone.

I've had no problems with the non powder paint on my rear calipers.

#15 ·
I touched small patches up with Jazz Blue touch up sticks from Halfords. It is a slightly different colour but you won't notice behind the wheels, especially on tiny areas. I wouldn't do the whole caliper in that colour though as the blue on the calipers is more of a matt colour than metallic.

Product Rectangle Font Electric blue Auto part

Photograph Product Rectangle Hood Automotive lighting

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.