VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New to this forum and new to the world of R32s. I bought mine back in Feb this year and have come across this common issue of the door lock module playing up.

I had experienced the door lock playing up previously (intermittently) and a few locks and unlocks would fix the issue but now this doesn’t seem to be the case. The passenger door on my 3dr MK5 R32 doesn’t seem to unlock at all now - just the dreaded double click.

Is there some sort of way to get this opened? I’ve got a replacement module but just haven’t had the chance to install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could be a stupid question, but why won't it unlock from inside?
lol it don’t budge. It’s as if the door is stuck in the lock position. When pulling the internal handle there’s a slight tightness to it but doesn’t unlock. Apparently it’s a common fault and I’ve tried spamming the unlock and lock buttons but no luck so far. Front passenger may have to pull a dukes of hazard manoeuvre to get in

·
Registered
R32 Mk5 DSG 5 Door
234 Posts
lol it don’t budge. It’s as if the door is stuck in the lock position. When pulling the internal handle there’s a slight tightness to it but doesn’t unlock. Apparently it’s a common fault and I’ve tried spamming the unlock and lock buttons but no luck so far. Front passenger may have to pull a dukes of hazard manoeuvre to get in
If it's Daisy Duke, I wouldn't be complaining.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's an old problem that dogged the mk4 Golfs et al (Beetle's, Boras) where the motor within the module would get carbon deposits within it. This would make the lock/unlock temperamental. Dissembling the motor and cleaning the internals would solve the issue. Maybe this is the issue here too?

·
Registered
R32 Mk5 DSG 5 Door
234 Posts
There's an old problem that dogged the mk4 Golfs et al (Beetle's, Boras) where the motor within the module would get carbon deposits within it. This would make the lock/unlock temperamental. Dissembling the motor and cleaning the internals would solve the issue. Maybe this is the issue here too?
Mate, it's a Mk5

·
345 Posts
I would keep trying to unlock it after maybe trying disconnect the battery for a bit. You need to get it open as to change the module you need to take the outer door skin off not the inner door card which can only be done with the door open. It should eventually unlock.🤞If it doesn't the repair will get very tricky/damaging.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The exact same problem happens on the MK5s - a decent clean out with contact cleaner, and remove all the old grease and re-lube with new plastic safe grease sorts them out... as long as you can open the door to dis-assemble...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I’ve actually bought a replacement module but was being lazy as the door fixed itself during the summer. It’s decided to play up and this is the longest it’s been now since it hasn’t unlocked out the blue. would disconnecting the battery do anything else to the car? Sorry, r32 newbie here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not likely. May need radio code after but also unlikely. Will get a couple of warning signs on dash, they will go away as soon as you drive off.
Thanks mate. last question before I go an electrocute myself. YouTube is showing twobatteries in the golf. One in the boot and one in the engine bay. Which one to disconnect?

·
345 Posts
There's only one I know of in a mk5 r32, in the boot. Take out the boot carpet, spare tyre, jacks and all the polystyrene stuff. You can just disconnect the big black earth cable towards the front right of the boot as you look at it, no need to actually access the battery compartment. I hope it works for you, no harm in trying!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts