VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would share some of my favourite reactions people have had to my car, usually upon first sight of it or when i first put my foot down

My mate: That sounds better than sex

Another mate: This is the kind of car you spend ages looking for in Grand theft auto, then when you get it you just drive around.

Yet another mate: There should be an extra lane for cars like yours, these people are going too slow.

My Mum (sports mode, pedal to the metal) : No I don't like it!

My Dad: That looks economical*

*He was under the impression that it was a 'normal' golf, and compared to my previous car (VX220 Turbo) it does look fairly economical...

Had any funny reactions to your car?

·
4,420 Posts
At least 3 mates! thats 3 more than me!

Ive had my cousin complain of whiplash because he wasnt ready when i floored it lol

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
When I was washing my R on Saturday, a kid going past on his bike said 'nice car mate'

Same day, washing my car, the local policeman on his push bike in uniform stopped next to me and started asking questions about it.

All the blokes in my street chat to me and they always ask about the car to break the ice!!

Can't beat the individual look and sound of the R and I think people recognise that!!

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
I get stopped a fair bit by people wanting to chat about my R. Last week I was out giving it it a clean and a lad came up to me and was saying how he always stops to have look when he passes by, him and his missus!! They are both VW owners as well...

·
1,243 Posts
When I was washing my R on Saturday, a kid going past on his bike said 'nice car mate'

Same day, washing my car, the local policeman on his push bike in uniform stopped next to me and started asking questions about it.

All the blokes in my street chat to me and they always ask about the car to break the ice!!

Can't beat the individual look and sound of the R and I think people recognise that!!
so you get chatted up by blokes a lot then??

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
You lot are lucky, people where I live must be idiots. The only 3 comments I get are:

Is it a Diesel?

Why didn't you by the top of the range model?

Your exhaust is blowing

·
4,420 Posts
I was at work one day and my dad was mooching around in the driveway, the kids always walk past our house to get home as the school is close by. Anyway this one kid shouted out to my dad, "ill give you £20,000 for that R32"

to which my dad replied... "which one?"

the kid said "the blue one
"

my old man was not impressed haha

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Generally positive,

Kids waving from bus stops and shouting, nice car mate,

Once the police stopped me just to hear the roar,

When I've been out in town people have bought me a drink because they have seen me about in it.

A lad in town has made a replica of mine out of a TDI, and they say the best compliment is imitation, he said he saw mine and wanted it so much he had to make his look the same.

But my mates who are not into cars think its shit, they can't understand why I won't let them in it when they are pissed, moan at me when I tell them to use the handle to close the door and constantly say, "why are you so bothered its only a old golf"

Yes my mates are gay

And I think the best one was a local woman who runs a youth charity to keep them off
Drugs and in schools etc, knocked on my house as the youths she looks after we're talking about my car at the skate park, she got a photo of it from 1 of the lads and followed me home from tesco, She asked me to come to the skate park and talk to the lads about what they need to do so that they can own a car like that (I also had to promote clean living etc...)

She was very pleased and wrote me a nice letter.

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Generally positive,

Kids waving from bus stops and shouting, nice car mate,

Once the police stopped me just to hear the roar,

When I've been out in town people have bought me a drink because they have seen me about in it.

A lad in town has made a replica of mine out of a TDI, and they say the best compliment is imitation, he said he saw mine and wanted it so much he had to make his look the same.

But my mates who are not into cars think its shit, they can't understand why I won't let them in it when they are pissed, moan at me when I tell them to use the handle to close the door and constantly say, "why are you so bothered its only a old golf"

Yes my mates are gay

And I think the best one was a local woman who runs a youth charity to keep them off
Drugs and in schools etc, knocked on my house as the youths she looks after we're talking about my car at the skate park, she got a photo of it from 1 of the lads and followed me home from tesco, She asked me to come to the skate park and talk to the lads about what they need to do so that they can own a car like that (I also had to promote clean living etc...)

She was very pleased and wrote me a nice letter.

Nice!! MIQ you a role model for the next generation

One day kids if you work hard and go to the gym lots you will be hench and own an own an old golf!

·
2,665 Posts
You lot are lucky, people where I live must be idiots. The only 3 comments I get are:

Is it a Diesel?

Why didn't you by the top of the range model?

Your exhaust is blowing
Its funny a guy delivered a chinese takeaway and spent 5 mins talking about the R and how he was looking to buy one. I spent time explaining the DSG etc....and then the bombshell question "is it a diesel?"......

Sigh....will never get that 5 mins back! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had alot of comments too!

Postman, dust men and random people walking past when cleaning it saying its stunning etc! Always makes me feel good!

One mate said it sounds just the same as a Porsche!

Gets alot of looks on the road but prob more due to the fact I look 12 behind the wheel!

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Zig said:
Nice!! MIQ you a role model for the next generation

One day kids if you work hard and go to the gym lots you will be hench and own an own an old golf!
Hahaha actual lol

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
On my travels to work I drive past three school bus stops after the first few days they all stared and pointed now they all shout floor it, majority of the time its just people looking at me as I drive through town and general thumbs up from other vw drivers.

·
136 Posts
My mates all drive BMW's or 1*2's, so the usual response is 'hows the snoozemobile?', 'have you sold the dullf yet?' or 'why did you sell the M3?'. Girlfriend prefers my Cooper S, work colleagues like it, but only because it looks like a tdi (its a silver one) - 'oh, my husband has one of those'. He doesnt, he has a 1.9 Tdi Match, but meh.

I like the R32 though, all the usability of a Golf, with a lovely noise as well.

·
378 Posts
I have only really had positive comments

Petrol stations - people talking to me at the pumps
Neighbours - Usual 'nice car' comments
Around the village - lots of stairing
In town - General thumbs up whilst driving through car parks

Only negative is when I'm starting the car up outside their house, they are getting old and have hot even older neighbours. They don't seem to like my Longlife custom exhaust!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts