VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted in the Greetings Area but that was not where I was supposed to post my project history.

PART POSTED IN GREETINGS AREA

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and would like to present myself on that occasion.

My name is Alex, I'm 24 and recently bought myself a MKV R32 in black. I work as a civil engineer for about 2 years now. As you could possibly guess (by reading the title), I am from Luxembourg, so sorry for my poor english. I know, not many people know that it even exists, but I can assure you, it does ^^

Enough about the boring stuff, lets get on to some details on my car.
I bought it about a month ago. It had 64000km and I got it for about 19500€. The car is a black 3-door R32, it has the motorsport full leather bucket seats, MFD2, DSG. My pre-owner had some sort of animal that vent through the front grill, but that was a good argument to lower the price (starting price was 21900€). the front grill was cracked, one centre plastic blade was missing, and the left and right grills had cracks too. Even the front bumper had a small crack in the middle. The cooler didn't look good either, but hey nothing major (thought so -.-)
So i bought the car and immediateley started modding it. First up was the chamfered 3D Emblem of the Golf VI because it just looks way better. Then I got myself the famous Domibox (not sure if it is that famous here in the UK too!?) with a K&N panel filtre. After 2 days, I hit a gigantic pothole on the motorway and ruined, I mean totally ruined, two of the Zolder rims (which were entirely scratched anyway). The front rim simply expoded (cracked into pieces) and the rear one was heavily deformed which made it completely unstable (not that I was able to drive the car anymore, but still...)
So I got 2 new rims and 1 new tire from the insurance and all was well. I was lucky that nothing else was damaged (thought so at that time -.-), so I got my car back the next dayIn the meantime I bought some 8x19 ET45 OZ Ultraleggera in order to get over the time waiting for the Zolder to arrive.

With the Ultras on, the car looked like an SUV and was hideous to me. Oh I forgot to mention that I ordered the H&R coilovers low version from the start
Since I bought the ET45 rims, you could already see that without the wider arches at the front, the wheel just would not fit into the arch.
New plan: ordered some SRS-Tec wide arches, put my Zolder back on, and now I was ready to lower the car.

Since the beginning I was looking for a new front grill without success. But then one day a friend told me he had something for me
an already carbon laminated intact front grill! I immediateley bought it, and I was able to put it on last saturday! Looks absolute MINT!!!! (I think
)

Today I will put on my wide arches and my new cooler. Yes, NEW COOLER -.- From the impact of the pothole, the cooler had a very small crack on one side which leaded to a cooland fluid leak! Had to refill it every 500km, which I thought was a bit suspicious! Well, We'll see in what state the cooler is/was after the operation Black OPS tonight

Here are the pictures in the order of the story (I think!?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATED:

Since then, I installed my new water cooler with a friend. I used the opportunity to put the SRS Tec wide arches on, so that I could finally put my 19'' back on

As I said some time ago, the OZ Ultraleggera are sold, and I was looking for some new wheels. 2 days ago I won a auction on ebay and went to get my wheels yesterday! Check out the pictures

I looooove how the wheels look on the car, at first I wanted to paint the wheels blue, but the black looks so good on the car that I will leave it like that (for this season). Maybe I will paint one spoke, or something in blue, as I will give some other exterior and interior parts the blue metallic touch

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks ace chap!

Reactions: pisci

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad you like it

Well that's a good question. For the first two month I think I have spent enough money
Now I will start detailing, fixing and replacing used parts.

I bought 2 new front grills (left and right of the centre grill), new front emblem which will be eighter dipped matt black or painted in black glossy. The intruded part of the emblem will be metallic blue. The horizontal aluminium bars of the front grill will be dipped in matt black so that there is no more silver bits left on the front. Maybe the headlights will be painted black aswell on the inside, but that's not sure yet.
On the back the emblems will be dipped in matt black.

On the inside I will get those plastic brace things of the bucket seats and the triangular bits left and right to the ashtray painted in blue metallic.

Further more, I'm thinking of painting one spoke of every wheel in the same metallic blue, but I still have to think about that. I will possibly do a fake first in order to see if it looks good or not. Also, when I start painting the parts in blue, the callipers will probably be painted black, as I'm sure the two blue tones next to each other will look shitty!

Anyway, the big updates will be on hold for a while
Such as the double donut taillights, carbon mirror covers, carbon diffusor, catback exhaust with valve system (don't know how you call that in english sry
) and maaaaybe a brake system upgrade! But hey I'm not in a hurry. Now that the car looks acceptable ( lol ), the other mods can wait

Greets

Alex

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I last posted in here but here finally an update! I've bought the Valeo double donut taillights and replaced the rusted brake springs with these nice black Golf 6 R spring. Further more I got rid of the small bike liscence plate (because it was illegal) and used some magic to get the big liscence plate to hold ^^

·
Registered
512 Posts
Beautiful motor.
Exhaust next???

·
Registered
28 Posts
There will be some minor details that will be changed/painted until my appointment for the exhaust in august. But yes, the next big update will be my exhaust system
3 inch catback exhaust with valves from F-Town Germany called "Aggressor 3" ! Maybe known among some of you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been a long time since I last postet in here. My car does not look quite like this anymore

Here is the rest of the story.

Last, I told you that I was going to change the exhaust. It's done, and it's the best R32 sound in the world if you ask me. I will post the link to the soundfile in this post. But first I want to continue with my project history.

I don't know how many of you drive a DSG, but in my opinion those original plastic paddles are just ridiculous! They feel cheap, they are too small, I didn't like shifting gear with it because it felt like I was playing PS3...I want it to feel solid and mechanical and not digital. Well I thought there was no solution do that, until I found the aluminium replacement paddles for the R32! I know they almost cost 300€, but it's just worth it! They look better, they feel better and now shifting with the paddles just makes way more fun then it did before. I can only recommend them, they are brilliant!!!! I think the guys who build them are called S2T

http://www.s2tpp.com/VW-Paddle-Details.html

If you drive a DSG MK5 or Golf 6R...BUY THEM!!!! NOOOOOW !!!

After that, I finally started painting some interior parts in that shiny blue colour and I think it looks very good.

I have to say that the blue didn't go quite so good with the metal interior trim. In a first step, I chose to cover them with some special effect black brushed metal style vinyl.

My concept of a copletely black car was starting to come true when I got my black&carbon Golf 6 3D chamfered VW emblem. I like

Then I realized one important thing...my car just was not low enough. At that point I drove the Golf R wheels with 10mm spacers at each side, so I ended up with an 8x19 ET40 wheel! In combination with the 225/35 Z19 Toyo T1-Sport wheel, it just fitted perfectly under the rear arch! I have to say though that I cheated a bit in this picture. The ground was not flat, so the right rear wheel was pushed as far as it gets into the rear arch! Still, it fits, and no scratching!!!

After that, the first painted exterior part was put on the car.

How could I forget about that... Here is my catback 3.0 inch exhaust from F-Town, handmade, expensive, exclusive and the best sound in the world! It has an exhaust valve just like the original one. I think you can see how it works when looking at the pictures. Soundfile is right under the picture! Turn up the volume, lean back and enjoyyyy

Details...black indicators!

rear whiper? GONE!

self-made digital camouflage to put on the roof! LOOVE IT matt black on glossy black paint! Can only be spotted under certain light circumstances...what do you think?

Love carbon? Got carbon! Bought some nice carbon mirror caches on ebay! brilliant quality

Then came the next painted R32 emblem. black VW emblem and some more vinyl to hide the chrom trim in the front grill!

But then suddenly, there was a problem. Now that almost everything on the car was black, it was not flashy anymore, and people just didn't look at the car because...well it was just a black car! Full of details, but those couldn't be seen from a distance!
That's when I decided to buy new wheels...

I loved them...at the beginning! I realized that the 8x19 ET45 were to far away from the arches...with the 5mm spacers on each side, the car started wobbling and shaking, and with the wider 225/35 T19 Hankook EVO S1 tire, it was scratching badly at the back! After one week, I sold them again lol

Then I changed my Golf R wheels with some brandnew OZ Ultraleggera in 18 inch. I will be using those in the winter because I think they look horrible -.- I really regret the exchange...but now it's too late anyway!

I wanted to drive the OZ until I was able to put winter tires on and just keep on driving the car through the winter...unfortunately I couldn't cope with it ^^ I needed 19 inch wheels again! That's when I found these...

Those are genuine Audi A6 4G C7 wheels from an 2011 A6. 8,5x19 ET45! The perfect size! They have been powdercoated especially for me in an extremely shiny silver. Really really love that set of wheels because it's not to be seen on ever third Golf on a VAG event!

Here are some pictures of them on the car with the 225/35 Z19 Toyo tires

I forgot to mention that I also got myself a carbon diffusor

Now that is the story of my car to the current day. But oh wait, I missed the best
Last weekend I had my first professional shoot with a photographer. Here are some pictures. Haven't got all of them yet.

What do you think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

Well I have to say that I had a purpose to buy the OZ...I was planning since april to put some Porsche Cayenne brake calipers with 350mm discs and stuff on, and the only wheel that could be put on without any spacers (so thought some people -.-) were the OZ! That's why I bought them. It turned out though that even with the OZ, there was not enough space, so I still had to put 5mm spacers on. Further more, I had a problem with the brakes, and ruined all the paintwork. At that point I decided to put the original brakes back on and sell the Porsche ones! Now I'm sitting here with wheels I don't like. Well at least the brakes have been sold quite fast...

Oh and maybe one more thing that could be interesting for you guys
I bought myself a set ob 17 inch BBS RF. These will be changed to 18 inch, the centre part will be screwed on from the outside, centre part will be powder coated in bbs gold. When all is done, it will be an 8x18 ET54 wheel. With adapters from 5x120 to 5x112 of 15mm, I will be at ET39! The 215/40 Z18 Achilles or Toyo wheel will be stretched, and then I hope that it will look kick ass! The whole operation as I'd like to call it, costs arround 3000€ -.- not including the price at which I bought the 18 year old wheels from an old bloke

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like a very nice wheel set up.
Gold, polished lips and black car will work well. Not sure how the blue calipers will work??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fear not
The brakes will be the same blue as those exterior parts and emblems! The center cap of the bbs will be black and gold, so I won't have such a mix of 4 colours

1 - 18 of 18 Posts