VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my experience with APS and a few mods I decided to have done on the car. Dropped the car off on Wednesday and picked it up today. Had the following done:

1. Miltek sports cat-back exhaust
2. Haldex Gen II controller
3. APS stage 2 remap
4. 4-wheel laser alignment

The guys were superb and did all they said they would do. The car has been totally transformed. The power delivery is quite noticeably smoother and it revs a lot more freely to the red line. Torque is noticeably higher as well with very impressive in-gear pick up. I was really impressed by the lack of gear changes I had to make to overtake on the motorway.

The miltek sounds AWESOME. It doesn't change the nice raspy character of the stock box but it increases the volume nicely on wide-open-throttle. It sounds spectacular when going through tunnels! It is a little more boomy on acceleration on motorways but not more so than stock when just cruising.

The Haldex controller is possibly the most impressive of all the mods I had. It has pretty much eliminated any understeer the car had. It feels so planted around corners and when launching from standstill. I am totally confident that this mod alone is worth several saved seconds a lap compared to the stock controller. If you have an R32 with the standard controller, you really need the haldex...trust me, it transforms the handling entirely.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. It should really have come like this from the factory...I don't know why VW don't just make it like this as standard, but I'm glad I was able to have APS do the work. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Next up is a professional detail in the next couple of weeks and then I'll post some pics of the car :)

Alex

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
Nice one Alex, any dyno figures to share? I'm v interested in a remap after struggling to loose a 130 Beemer in my first play the other night!! Lol

·
2,808 Posts
I'm v interested in a remap after struggling to loose a 130 Beemer in my first play the other night!!
Theyr qwick mate, you did well in a standard R32.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jays and Cherry.

Jays I haven't dynoed the car but the butt dyno has certainly pleased me.

In my opinion, a good remap isn't only about the peak power increase, but also about how the increased power and torque are delivered. The APS remap seems to have increased both evenly throughout the rev range. I'll get the car dynoed soon though just to get some ballpark figures.

With regard to a 130i, the hatchback has a slightly better power to weight ratio than a standard R32 so in a straight line, an R32 may struggle. In the twisties, it would be bye bye beemer though. If it was the new 130 coupe, I would totally forget about keeping up with it...twin turbo straight six with over 300 bhp as standard. It flies!

·
2,808 Posts
If it was the new 130 coupe, I would totally forget about keeping up with it...twin turbo straight six with over 300 bhp as standard. It flies!
Yeh, they are pretty badboy, and a chipped one would be imense but...
Id beast one.

·
3,281 Posts
Well, I managed to kinda stick to his bumper up the ring road as he got my goat by undertaking me! You can certainly tell they are faster but what surprised me was the time I seemed to be making up with the DSG.

Damn I knew it wouldn't take long before I wanted 300hp!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eatthisvr6 said:
i thought that was the 135 not the 130???
Quite right eatthis, the 135i coupe has 306 bhp...the coupe 1 series doesn't come in 130 form. The 130i hatchback has around 260 bhp and is lighter than the R32.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hehe nice one - would be nice to see some dyno figures with your new mods.

Jays lol, I'm sure I saw that happen, I was sat at a junction and saw an R32 and 130 fly past me, I wouldn't fancy it in my stock R32 tbh, well done!

·
2,548 Posts
An older one, early 2000. It had a Subaru sticker on the bonnet and a dump valve (lol) but I'm guessing... induction/intake and probably a few other mods. It was a bit of a shed really and the owner was young so I doubt he had spent that much on it. Still faster than my car though lol.

1st and second there was nothing in it but 3rd gear (which I've been saying for ages, feels weak below 5k) he pulled me in easy. He was unstable round a few corners though, the back end was doing a dance while my .:R felt completly planted. I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if he'd been in one of the more recent STI versions.

·
1,838 Posts
If it was an import though it would be about 280 horse standard also a little lighter and if it was a shed he probably pushed it to within an inch olf it's life cause he would'nt give a toss about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After only 3 days in mine Dave, I find it the other way, but maybe this is to do with DSG? Met my friend this morning in his RB320, lost the initial start in 1st, but seemed to gain in 2nd & 3rd on him. I find the mid range very powerful and the initial pulling away somewhat stuttery as they did in Evo Magazines long term fleet test review :frustrated:

·
2,548 Posts
Andy, "shed" was probably a bit harsh, it was fairly nice, just a bit old now. Didn't the import have a pink badge on the front?

Swiss, surely an RB320 would comfortably leave you if you're stock? RB320 = 320 PS and 330 lb/ft. 0-60 in 4.8 and 0-100 mph in just over 12...!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah he did leave me for dust in the end, I just appeared to maintain the distance until I hit 4th then he was gone ! Must admit I am already having second thoughts about returning to the BMW stable seen as Z4M's are now in new R32 price range.

(me hides)

·
2,548 Posts
Lol ;-)

I like BMW's and I'm not ashamed to admit it. They make some of the best engines on the planet. The Z4M is a nice motor, far better than the Z3. The 135i seems as though it's going to be a rocket, shame it looks like it's melting ;-)

At some point I'm going to own an M3/5!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.