VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to paint the front bumpers on my van but there in plastic and I was wondering instead of sanding them all back to get rid of the nobbley bumps on them is there a self leveling primer or one that will eat into the plastic so that the paint when gets chipped or something wont flake off when you see all these cheap ones that are sprayed up, I have 2k paint ready to paint on with a compressor

·
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive got a spray gun never used one before but gonna give it ago just want to practice on a crappy van bumper first see how it goes, rattle cans will take a lot and cost more in the run of it all I think

·
2,303 Posts
It will be mate, I'm actually a automotive painter

Right before you start you will need to scotch down the bumper with red scotchbrite and then clean it down with panel wipe if you have it (I'd recommend it anyway as it removes tar spots really well so you'll have a use for it) once it's done I'd sweep the floor and put water down (mainly for when you get to the paint and clear but it's good practice to do it all the time), I'm guessing you'll be spraying in your garage so best to have a space heater if possible and you'll need a decent compressor

Once the bumper is wiped down and is secure on a stand its best to use a tack rag to remove any dust, again good practice and these things cut the amount of prep work and polishing needed to be done

Make sure your gun is cleaned properly then add some 1k plastic primer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321174856531?lpid=83&device=m&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=
&ff14=83

You'll just need 1 coat of this, it's a clear liquid so just most it on then what you don't use pour back in the tin, let that flash off for 5 mins and go mix up your high build primer, you'll need some flexible additive too being a bumper again something like this will do, you need to add this stuff before you add the hardener to the primer or else it will react, read the tin though for the instructions

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=290582278640

You'll probs get it cheaper if you go to a local car paints supplier though (ill put you a list of stuff you'll need at the end)

Then put on about 3 coats or you might need another one just depends how it covers but leave a good 5 - 10 mins between coats and avoid using thinners if you can

Let this harden overnight ideally then most some Matt black paint over the primer as a guide coat, wet sand the primer back until the black guide coat is gone (hard to explain but it'll make sense) you'll need to sand it with 500 wet then if its a metallic colour it's best to then go over with some 800 wet

Wipe it all down again and get the room nice and warm about 22 degrees if possible

Your paint can come in different forms I use waterbased at work but now and again 2k and solvent you'll be best getting solvent it's much quicker to work with, this is usually mixed 2/1 with thinners mix it thoroughly if its metallic

Tack the bumper down spray a 3/4 coat over and then let the solvents evaporate you can speed it up by spraying air over it with your gun but its best to let it just evaporate for 5 - 10 mins, put a full coat over and again let it evaporate off, we usually use a led torch to check its covered so you may need another coat I always add one to be sure once it's dryer again you need to put on a drop coat which allows the metallic to lie properly, to do this turn your pressure down and hold the gun about twice as much as when you were spraying and then just spray like normal, go left to right let it flash off and then do it diagonally basically spray all different ways until it doesn't look patchy

Let that flash off and clean your gun out thoroughly, mix up some clear again you'll need to add a flexible additive like the primer ( it should never be put in the base coat is colour unless your doing a direct gloss ie no clearcoat) you should mix up clear - additive and finally hardener, depending what clear you use then add ten percent thinners I use one that doesn't need any as a rep told us not to put any in as it goes cloudy

Anyway add a 3/4 coat of clear not too wet ideally it should t really flow as it will create a grip coat for the final coat of clear, once this has bad 5 mins then add a full wet coat of clear and then let it bake for 24 hours ideally leave it a few days before you wetsand it with 1500 and polishing

You can add 3 coats to be safe but your more likely to get runs but it gives you a decent amount of paint to sand and polish back to get a nice finish but remember all finishes aren't perfect from factory so you need to sand and polish to match the rest of the finish

It's a lot to get your head round but you'll be proud of yourself if you get it right

I can write things you need if you want just let me know

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive just gave you a thanks for that and ive just picked my jaw up off the floor lol, so its not just a case of rub down abit, spray let dry flatten spray, let dry paint let dry paint let dry paint and then laqure it n bobs your uncle lol, ill give it a whirl like I say ive got a spare bumper ill try on first then ill have ago at it for real deal

·
2,303 Posts
Only bits you should be sanding is primer and then the clear for polishing buddy sanding between coats isn't really done unless its a solid colour and only really done if you get a run that's why waterbasex is good as if you do something wrong you can wipe the paint fully off with water and start again

Thanks for the thanks buddy and yeah best thing to do is practice on some panels first or even just spray bits of wood lying about it takes years of practice and even in my place there is people doing mistakes after 15 - 20 years in the trade it's not exactly easy and a good finish comes down to the prep work and also knowing what to do when things go wrong

If you need help just pm me me there's not much I don't know about car painting, and also do the occasional hgv here and there

As long as you use a plastic primer before you even put any primer on plastics you'll be fine though we've had loads of bumpers come in with paint flaming off and had to fully strip them because the last person to spray them haven't used a plastic etch primer it's so important and only takes about 5 mins to put on

·
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its ford frozen white ill be spraying which I think is a solid colour anyway, dunno if they do a water based version of that do they ?where abouts you located btw?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts