VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! im looking at changing my car in may, now heres the difficult bit:

since i was very small ive always had a great interest in all things to do with cars, in fact most people i know get very sick of my obsession!:) i never shut up about them!

now ive been quite sensible really with the previous cars ive had so ive got a couple years NCB and now i can really look at getting a decent car, this is where its starting to get tricky.

ive always been a VW person which has past down throught the family, mum and dad had numerous passats, and mums fave is the old corrado!! haha!

now ive been fascinated by the r32 since its launch and all golf gtis since i can remember and i no i will definately own the r32 cos its my choice car. but .....
im passionate about driving and my other love goes to a beast called the EVO:xD!

i know the differences in cost and quality, but i no if i buy the golf il never end up buying an evo and if i buy the evo i dont want to lose thousands of pounds -(i dont mind spending more if its worth it)

so can anyone help me out.. im thinking of getting an evo for a year or two then once ive had my fix get rid and grab an .:R

any previous evo owners? what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Johny

Really depends on how much you want to lose, I think stick with golf if you want some kind of resale value, when the Evo X is out the rest will have rocketship depreciation, unless of course you go for an evo x.

Theres a stack of last generation Sti's with prodrive bits on sat in dealers atm as everyone wants the new shape and most are new with 0 miles for 18k. I think the same will happen with the Evo tbh. Also remember the stupid 5k service intervals and horrendous servicing prices at Mitsubishi, thats what swayed me towards the R32 in the end :)

G

·
The new EVO X is £400 for the first three services and intervals have been moved to 10,000 miles - instead of the crazy 4,500. A good move in my opinion.

·
1,838 Posts
Trouble is it's all the other stuff not covered by basic service that costs a fortune.Mate of mine had Evo ix and had to have new brakes,clutch lots of tyres, admitedly he drove it quite hard.But why buy one if you aint gonna use it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would go with you heart mate. I have always had german marks but I have to say the EVO is an attractive proposition. You can get a nice Vii or Viii for reasonable money.. but remember they are expensive to run and service etc.

If you ask anyone on here they will always come back to the same veiw. i.e VW R32.

The R will give you in my veiw more value for money and "if" you get an EVO you maybe sorry as they are not easy to offload!

Best of luck.

·
2,808 Posts
I dont think evo's are all that after racing some. I keep up with fq300's and gain on them at hight speed and 320's dont get away too much. Get an R32 and mod it.
But then I spose if you modded an Evo then its a different story. I think everyone on here would of had the same decision to make as you. I just couldnt deal with that TERRIBLE styling and interior.

·
3,732 Posts
i sit firmly in the r32 camp, not because i own one, but when you do a comparison between the two on paper the golf is more attracive regards build, running cost, residuals, and performance and handling

·
3,732 Posts
..and maybe another thing. what do you see when you see a bloke in an evo? whats the first thing that springs to mind?

compare the same thought with a golf.

which is more "you"

·
2,808 Posts
..and maybe another thing. what do you see when you see a bloke in an evo? whats the first thing that springs to mind?

compare the same thought with a golf.

which is more "you"
Haha! Im actually more of a chavvy boy racer! But I bought the R32!? Im living a lie! Nooooo!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
A friend of mine has just sold his Evo8 after 3 years of ownership, he's a mechanic and performed all the servicing himself which of course saved him money, now get this, the reason he sold it was because he was driving down the A38 towards Plymouth and the rear diff went on it, it cost him £2500 to have it replaced!! Now if the rear diff goes, it usually knocks out the prop and the front diff and if the front diff goes it cost nearer 3k on top of the 2.5k to replace!!!

He hardly modded his Evo mechanically and never track day'd the car, so I'd hate to be landed with servicing to keep one running and have to replace any bits on the damn thing!

Lovely car, but not my cup of tea anymore, plus the interior is a bit poo imo ;)

·
2,808 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Theres been an evoViii for sale down by me for about 4 months now and it aint shifting.nuff said.

Japanese marks are "Tacky" when it comes to the trim etc and when you compare to a VW it looks even worse.

Another option for you may be a Clio V6 ??? very nice on the road and loads of fun.

The only drwer back is that it has only 2 seats but if thats not a problem they are worth a look.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts