1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
bloody hell that's nasty

·
5,616 Posts
You'd have to really p!ss someone off for them to come round to your house and set light to all 3 off your cars.

·
777 Posts
Thats shocking!:eek:

what can you say after that happens. Hope the insurance will cough up for him.

profile says he lives in ireland. wonder where abouts. Must be some absolute nasty/scary folk to have the balls to do that to someone.

·
1,243 Posts
saw this posted on another forum and while i feel sorry/gutted for him as i would be. a car like that lancer you just dont leave parked where the public have access to it. yes you should be able to leave in your parking bay but the simple fact of lives these days is you cant and if you do your asking for trouble, i have mine on my drive but if i had a garage thats where it would be living although i have cctv watching it. also the RS4 is parked on double yellows if that was parked somewhere proper he`d still have it.

·
324 Posts
Pomme:

The EVO was parked in the proper space and when the handbrake cable melted it rolled back into his RS4. He also had a Pug 205 Gti next to the EVO that was badly burnt too.

I've been on the MLR for a while as I was looking at trading my R32 for an EVO7 FQ300 but stories like this and houses being broke into for the keys on an almost daily basis put me off. EVO's attract way too much attention unfortunately and I can do without the hassel. They are my dream cars along with Skyline's but the life in which we live and have created for ourselves has put me right off as the constant worry of whether you and your car are safe is something most people don't need in their lives.

·
1,222 Posts
GBR
EVO's attract way too much attention unfortunately and I can do without the hassel. They are my dream cars along with Skyline's but the life in which we live and have created for ourselves has put me right off as the constant worry of whether you and your car are safe is something most people don't need in their lives.
Very true words spoken, I also love the Evo but as you said above...

·
748 Posts
Fuck me thats savage. On a side note think of the insurance payout. Be able to go out and buy one awesome car with all that money. Every cloud has a silver ligning.

·
1,838 Posts
Do they have plastic handbrake cable's on Evo's:confused:
Something seem's a bit suspect to me but if not you got to feel sorry for the guy.One thing though who would leave car's like that in a comunal car park?

·
3,732 Posts
Ive lost valuable cars to fires, one worth £55k! isnt nice and i do feel for him. to me it reads that it boils down to a failed theft on the evo so they lit it up instead causing the knock on

i took out an evo before i bought my r32, at over 400bhp it was epic...didnt buy it for the very reasons mentioned above, i prefer an under the radar car...well as much as an r32 can be in comparison i guess.

nasty stuff though

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys thanks for showing your concern, in reply to some of the comments:

the handbranke cable would of expanded with the heat. im not sure how the handle is help up (plastic parts may have melted?)

the double yellows were put there by the owner of the cars so to stop others that dont live there parking there

the cars werent set alight for hate reasons, but as stated on the linked page some thieves tried stealing the evo (of which there are only 4 ever made) and because they couldnt get it ([email protected]) they set it alight leading to the car next to it also catching fire and the handbrake coming off and rolling into the audi.

in my opinion i wouldnt let what could happen stop me from enjoying my hard earned cash in any way that i want to, evos arent any more desirable to thieves than R32s, either way if the thought of something bad happening puts you off something you cant live your life, all you have to do is try to deter things. the guy in question obviously did this well as the thieves couldnt steal his car, he was just unfortunate as they were bitter and set it alight. we dont all have garages and im sure some of you guys on here have had attempted break-ins.

over on the lancerregister they have started a thread where people have donated money to him to help him out and he can either use this money to buy a new car or put to charity.

im all for donating to charity but is there really the need to give him money? isnt that why we have insurance?? what do you guys think?

·
748 Posts
Personal opinion he is probably going to get the best part of £30-40K back from insurance just for the RS4 and EVO (not sure how much its worth but taking a gestimate at £20K) plus a 205.

40K is a lot of money you can pretty much go out and buy any real performance car for that money so as upsetting it is to loose the cars, I wouldn't be that annoyed. Most importantly no one was hurt.

·
3,732 Posts
i dont think i would donate cash as the cars were insured so would seem a bit wrong

i lost my home in a housefire 2 years a go and was left with nothing other than the clothes i stood up in and the insurance got voided so i was left with a total loss

people donated everything from washing machines, clothes, knives and forks, spare beds and we moved in with various people until we could afford to buy a new home. human kindness and swallowing your pride is something truely unreal when it happens, and speaking from experience...money is something we wouldnt have accepted as it wasnt what was of most value to us at the time. losing cars that are insured means although he lost some rare cars, they are replaceable at the insurance companies cost so technically he can start agaiin at no loss or cost. the mitshi being the only exception

so money no, well wishes, yes

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very Cherry said:
i dont think i would donate cash as the cars were insured so would seem a bit wrong

i lost my home in a housefire 2 years a go and was left with nothing other than the clothes i stood up in and the insurance got voided so i was left with a total loss

people donated everything from washing machines, clothes, knives and forks, spare beds and we moved in with various people until we could afford to buy a new home. human kindness and swallowing your pride is something truely unreal when it happens, and speaking from experience...money is something we wouldnt have accepted as it wasnt what was of most value to us at the time. losing cars that are insured means although he lost some rare cars, they are replaceable at the insurance companies cost so technically he can start agaiin at no loss or cost. the mitshi being the only exception

yeah exactly my thoughts we share the same opinions it seems

·
276 Posts
Very Cherry said:

Sorry to hear that mate

This may be a question you dont wont to answer so feel free not to but why was the insurance voided? Just renewing mine and would obviously like to avoid a similar situation, Im always wary of small print.

·
595 Posts
Very Cherry said:
Holy shoot. I had my house broken into in 2003 and the intruders stole the keys to our Golf V6 4mo and a Passat V6 TDI. I remeber being up at 5 in the morning and looking out at the empty spaces and thinking my insurance was void as they had gotten hold of the keys to the cars. I had no idea that this was (and still is) a common way to make off with cars. I was almost in tears and in deep shock at the prospect of losing £35k of cars.

I have no idea what the circumstances surrounding your fire were but that's really rough. You need to be a character and a half to get through that with a positive attitude.

·
3,732 Posts
SpoonZ said:
Sorry to hear that mate

This may be a question you dont wont to answer so feel free not to but why was the insurance voided? Just renewing mine and would obviously like to avoid a similar situation, Im always wary of small print.
i dont want to make this thread about me surfice to say that the company we had been with for 10 years went bust without notifying us and then got bought by another company. the direct debit doesnt automatically move so wasnt authorised and we werent informed. we were clueless and thought all was fine and no matter how we fought it legally they were in the clear

Enigma1992 said:
I have no idea what the circumstances surrounding your fire were but that's really rough. You need to be a character and a half to get through that with a positive attitude.
the value of what we lost physically was huge, the sentimental stuff is what stung - stuff like photos of your kids when born, wedding photos. pet cats didnt make it out either. in a nutshell the fire lasted 8.5 hours and took 14 fire appliances with 2 water tankers to put it out, national press and local news hounded us and eventaully drove the kids and my mrs into councelling. as i stand today were all fine, solvant, healthy and live life totally to the full and happy :)

i'm desperately trying not to thread hijack but i thnk these pictures might add a little perspective

the house

spare room

hallway

the garage

our room

my sons room

my daughters room

ive never shared these images like this publically before but ive passed the 2 year anniversary and its all in the past now so rather people learn from the images. keep a mobile by your bed. SMOKE ALARMS. i know im lucky to be alive with my family, senseless for someone not to be without theirs. before you ask, it was an electrical fire at the fusebox which started it and had consumed the upper half of the house within 4 minutes hitting 650 degrees, it was 10pm and all but me were upstairs in bed. can happen to anyone..really it can.

so back on topic....you can see why i seem just a little uncompassionate at the loss of insured cars, feel for him yes but its a mere blip on the radar, cars can be replaced

peace

VC :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts