VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
.:R32OC Parking Attendant
4,025 Posts
Don't think they were right for a R, whoever they were.

"New Clutch, flywheel and Exhaust system installed within last 5,000 miles"

I'm out of touch, do R's really need new clutches before 100-120K ? I thought they were pretty bullet proof on the whole ?

I know when I was looking to buying mine years back there were US owners who did 120K+ miles within 4 or 5 years of new, and only needed a replacement clutch then. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a common for them to wear out before 100K ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
100k miles in the US is probably alot easier on the car than in the UK. Generally our journies are alot shorter so much more gear changing if you get what I mean.

·
678 Posts
Who ever buys it will have the only deep blue purple in the country that's gotta be special....

Reactions: vrt and Montana32

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
Depends how you drive it with the clutch and tbh if it's had one at 88k I would be very worried

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
4,025 Posts
Yep. A clutch that soon is indicative of regular launching and / or riding it through crap pedal control.
Yes, I didn't word it quite like that in case the seller is a member of this forum, but my comment was tending towards your thoughts on the matter.

It might be there were other mechanical failures and the clutch was replaced at the same time though.

·
2,204 Posts
My original clutch at 56k was barely worn. Only put a new one in because the chains were being done. Whilst you're in there and all that!

Question is, did they do the slave cyl too?

·
3,242 Posts
climiefish said:
Chris can you send me the link to that R. I know someone looking for one.
Jump on pistonheads
There a gd few for around 6k
Mind you this one you could probs knock the prize dwn after a good test drive

Regards
Vrt

G

·
changed my clutch around 90k tho it was 3/4's worn it was still good for another 20k i bet but at this time it was out ...... no launches EVER

·
2,204 Posts
A hard launch out of a junction after engaging the clutch at a low rpm is OK. It's the 4000rpm side stepping that fucks clutches on AWD cars, pardon my french

·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
changed my clutch around 90k tho it was 3/4's worn it was still good for another 20k i bet but at this time it was out ...... no launches EVER
Hope your new clutch has had a few launches - it's half the fun of an R !

·
3,242 Posts
Toffs said:
Yep - I was having a quick look on autotrader - there aren't that many for sale (good thing I think?). I had no idea what a Mk4 was worth, or if there were any rare limited 'purple' editions still around
Wonder what they would have said for
Diamond Black Pearl
Dark Black Paint(haha)

Regards
Vrt

·
5,496 Posts
My car's on 107,000 miles now on the original clutch, touch wood. I launch it and drive it mad all the time, the only problem I've had is the clutch pedal has become lazy (occasional slow clutch pedal return when braking hard, whilst coming down the gears), and sometimes a very low (clutch all the way in) biting point.

But I've had this problem now since around 90,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gti Fly said:
My car's on 107,000 miles now on the original clutch, touch wood. I launch it and drive it mad all the time, the only problem I've had is the clutch pedal has become lazy (occasional slow clutch pedal return when braking hard, whilst coming down the gears), and sometimes a very low (clutch all the way in) biting point.

But I've had this problem now since around 90,000 mile mark.
I wouldn't worry, ours has the same problems and is on 140,000. Clutch feels better since I bled it and changed the brake fluid the other day though. Still on the original clutch too!

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts

For the record Im on 122k miles, my clutch doesn't slip or anything. As far as i know its original.....

G

·
Yep - I was having a quick look on autotrader - there aren't that many for sale (good thing I think?). I had no idea what a Mk4 was worth, or if there were any rare limited 'purple' editions still around

Hope your new clutch has had a few launches - it's half the fun of an R !
only at inters but drag strips aint my thing so no launches anymore i perfer track time

·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
only at inters but drag strips aint my thing so no launches anymore i perfer track time
Now who's getting old !
C'mon, I thought I'd see the HPA Typhoon kit in yours before the Summer, or Farmer's second hand turbo parts...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts