VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Poorly gizmo :(

7K views 143 replies 29 participants last post by  Fat Head 
#1 ·
Gizmo got hit by a drink driver tonight. Sad times
found it hard to keep my cool she tried to drive off but I dived on her bonnet so she couldn't.

Damage is a new rear bumper, rear light and paint job. Also damaged the right hand miltek tip. I wanted to hurt her but people stopped me.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#3 ·
Crap times!

Did you get the police involved?

#4 ·
No no police. I wasn't in the car when it happened he was just parked up chilling watching the nightlife when BAM a drunken fool in a toureg smashes his pristine back side to pieces. She then tries to leave the car park but realises people at the door to the pub are watching so turns her lights off and tries to hide in the top of the car park. Wtf??!! She could barely talk let alone drive.

#5 ·
Oohh shit, do you have pics of the damage? I would have got the police involved to be honest, it was a 2x criminal offence, driving whilst under the influence and trying to evade the scene afterwards
I hope you got the correct insurance details from this drunk

Poor giz

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oohh shit, do you have pics of the damage? I would have got the police involved to be honest, it was a 2x criminal offence, driving whilst under the influence and trying to evade the scene afterwards
I hope you got the correct insurance details from this drunk

Poor giz :(/>
I know a guy that knows a guy that knows this woman. He has assured me all repairs will be paid for in full and all we asked is that she was made to leave her keys behind the bar so she couldn't drive home and we also know where she lives so if they don't pay for the repairs they'll be a toureg lighter. Got pics of hers and getting some of giz in the morning before I take him to the hospital.

#7 ·
My Dads car got hit tonight (parked up) the driver sped off leaving massive cosmetic damage. Police are trying to trace the driver. What time did yours happen?

#10 ·
Unlucky, if they sped off then he will have no choice but to claim off his own insurance = paying the excess + premium will go up next year, its called a "no fault claim" and it sucks balls

#12 ·
Well they were either pulling out of the drive opposite my brothers house or turning round in the drive. They actually came back 10 mins later and when they saw my family still there they turned round and sped off. So hopefully it's a neighbour, if not I think ur spot on

#15 ·
Well they were either pulling out of the drive opposite my brothers house or turning round in the drive. They actually came back 10 mins later and when they saw my family still there they turned round and sped off. So hopefully it's a neighbour, if not I think ur spot on
hmm, if it was a neighbour surely they wouldn't have sped off as they would have been found out eventually anyway. who knows, but i hope they find them, it seems tonight is not a good night

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Out of curiosity why no police

#9 ·
As long as it gets sorted ok, id still get em done by police, what if gizmo happened to be a child walking by? Anyway just letting you know you should tell your insurance about it, (if you read the small print) just let them know about it but tell them you arent claiming, then if they try any funny business later on when they realise the cost f the damage, then you can do something about it, it probably wont come to that but i used to hear it all the time (ex direct line claims advisor) it wont effect your premium because you arent claiming, it just covers your arse

#14 ·
I was about to ring the police but the landlord knows them and he's a friend of ours so confident it'll be sorted. If it had happened on the road I wouldn't have hesitated in reporting her but the damage had been done and like I said we made sure she wasnt driving home. Hopefully she's learnt her lesson.

#19 ·
How in fooks name did he survive that? Sheeeet!

Im shocked you didnt get the police involved Lynds! Not sure thats the best way for her to learn her lesson. I believe in this psychology statement:

Successful behaviour will be repeated.

#32 ·
How in fooks name did he survive that? Sheeeet!
The answer to that question is more shocking than the car. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt... Police say that somehow saved his life. If he'd have been strapped in the impact would have killed him. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't wear seatbelts as 99% of the time they save lives, just this time the seatbelt would have certainly killed him.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow I wouldnt of taken any sympathy! Stupid bitch drinking and driving.. this is how people get killed and run over as she clearly tried to escape the scene after hitting your car! She needs locking up and driving disqualification she could just as easily do this again.. Perhaps next time there won't be ppl outside the pub

Anyway sorry to hear about your car hope you get it sorted asap to a high standard.

#26 ·
Sorry to read this as it was such a,lovely example and I hope the repair does it justice.

Unfortunately, drink drivers don't tend to learn their lesson and continue to it until they are stopped. I just hope she doesn't go on and kill someone next time.

#28 ·
The guy I'm taking it to sprayed my gti and is fantastic so I have no doubt that it will come back better than ever. Her husband was at the pub and said he would make sure it didn't happen again. If it wasn't for the landlord asking me not to ring the police I would have.

#29 ·
I understand you were in a difficult position but you have to wonder if her husband was there why did he let her get behind the wheel in the first place.

Glad you have someone top notch to do the work.

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
So Sorry to hear this,

cant beleive people still drink and drive this day in age.

my mate Sam drove not so long ago over the limit and he said "its alright if I get caught as I only work in town and can walk"

we said to him - "for f*ck sake its not about loosing you're licence what if you hurt or kill someone"

muppet

#41 ·
Oh no. I Do hope little Gizmo gets fixed for you.

Ps. And make them pay. I had a drunk driver smash up my beloved VR6 and he got off scott free. Infuriating! !!

#42 ·
Sorry to hear your car got damaged, at least it can be fixed. On the drunk driver issue, you did make the wrong call, I think you probably know that... In the heat of the moment its easy to be influenced by others, in this case a Landlord worried about his customers/business.

Hope your cars fixed soon.

Paul

#48 ·
First off, hope your car gets fixed.
Secondly, several points come up, getting the police involved in a City is all well an good, usually a better standard of policing. i live in a village and i dont belive that if it had happened where i live and the police were present, i dont belive the same action would be taken as in a city. Thats just from what i've seen. I belive she should be shopped to the cops, but its that moment of being there in that time and place in that situation, nobody can say what they would have done unless they are there and been in Gizmo's shoes.
I did my university dissertation on drinking and driving so i like to think i know a little about this, but even one pint effects how you drive, im not going to say i dont go T-total when i go to the pub and drive, but i only have one.
I'd do round to the women and just say, 'imagine your kids were my car'. If she has any sense it will have been nailed into her by her husband, not to mention the cost thats going to come out of it.

#49 ·
That's the thing this pub is in the middle of nowhere and the only person she would end up hurting is herself. Had this been in a town or city I would have got them involved but to be honest I'm glad I didn't now. It seems it was a one off and I'm sure she has learnt a very expensive lesson! It's not going in until next weds and should be in for a week or so but due to the tail light damage it illegal to drive as it is. Looks like a few weeks of bwarping round in Rupert Rover

#58 ·
Don't get me wrong, i'm sorry this happened to you and i really am glad you're ok, but i think several points here need addressing....

One.. Your initial call was wrong however you felt.. You let her escape scot free. The police should always be called irrespective of whether or not someone pleaded with you not to, knowing the landlord etc.. She needs to be stopped before she even remotely thinks about doing it again, or at least punishing to help sway her in the right way of not thinking of doing it again..
Two.. She might have been out in the sticks at a country pub a mile from home, that particular time yes, but what's to say it couldn't have been in a busy city street next time?
Three.. You've always got to look at it as potentially more than just a car being hit, it could have been much worse and innocent passers by could have been hit, which brings me to the last point..
Four.. Jumping on the car was THE most stupid thing you could have done.. I still can't believe i read that!! I thought you had more sense Lynds..

I mean i'm a bloke and i can get pretty mad when needs be and would be so angry at someone damaging my car, but i would NEVER EVER jump on a car that's being driven by someone that's drink driving or not in the right frame of mind.. They could have run you over or sped off with you on the bonnet and who knows what could have happened.. We could have been one forum member less permanently!!.. Doesn't bear thinking about.

It wasn't psycho as you put it, it was plain idiotic and at the end of the day, it's a car, it's not worth risking your life for. That's what insurance is for.. Sorry if that sounds harsh, and no doubt some will say that was uncalled for, but i just needed to say it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.