VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Just looking for some clarification here for what I already suspect

Since January I've noticed my MK5 R32 seems to struggle starting on odd occasions. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does the car always feel fine once it's started.

Just recently I have discovered that having the stereo on (RNS-510) without the engine/ignition on for a short period seems to trigger the starting issue.

Now to me this says battery dying, possibly from it's age and the long cold winter we had. It might not be fully charged or holding its charge as well as it did, the RNS-510 is draining it a bit and because of that the car struggles to start. Once it starts the alternator takes over to keep it charged and all is well again.

The thing that's got me though is that I only tend to use the car at the weekends, so it's usually sat for 5/6 days at a time in my car park but it's never had an issue starting from that? If the battery is dying would I likely see starting issues from it being sat there unused too?

Also if I disconnect and replace the battery, will I need to type in any codes on the RNS-510?

Thanks in advance

·
210 Posts
Mine did the same when I undone the battery cover I was surprised to find the battery submerged in water!! , turns out my vw boot badge was leaking which on a rainy day the water would run down the boot lock inside ,quite surprised really .

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does usually get a good long drive either because of seeing the OH's family in Birmingham/Loughborough or because I take the scenic route to places lol

It's also an 07 plate.

I did have all the boot out recently to clean and didn't notice any signs of water but I didn't get into the battery plate.

Its provably worth mentioning I have an updated firmware on the RNS-510 with the mod to stop the power drain issue but I believe that usually rears its head when the cars left for so long and I've never experienced a flat battery from no use, just a low battery from using the stereo it would seem

·
1,435 Posts
Sounds like the battery is on the way out.
When changing it connect a battery charger to the 2 terminal clamps and the power will not be dropped. Means that radio codes etc. do not have to be re-entered.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

If I don't use a battery charger, is it likely that the radio will need the code? I've read a few posts that suggest everything is fine once a new battery is connected?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
If always have it handy! It should be in your radio manual in te glovebox. If not PM nikkef he might sort you out or a dealer will

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I need to check my manual. If not I do seem to remember seeing some code written on top of the unit it self last time I had it out but can't remember what it was. The RNS-510 was a later addition and wasn't installed from new

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, just thought I'd update this thread.

Battery changed yesterday, found my stereo code but actually didn't need it in the end after all that! The job took all of about 5 minutes to do, nice and easy
Had a few warning lights on the dash but they all disappeared after driving for a few minutes. As mentioned the RNS-510 came straight back on as if nothing had happened. Only thing I had to do was set the time on the highline display.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what it's like at starting over the next couple of weeks. I can monitor the battery voltage from the Fiscon bluetooth menu which helps too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts