VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya,,,after recently acquiring our new daily driver and loving the mk5,,what a lovely noise on a standard exhaust,,it has made me think of the old "a change is good as rest" in reference to my long term weekender and because of the very cheap price of most cars today
at the moment,,i am seriously looking at a pre89 carreras,996 c4s, and the z3 m coupe or "breadvan",, i wont be doing many miles but am really getting an itch for a change but i do love my s2 and have never considered letting her go before,,
anyone have an experiance with the z3 m coupe? would love to know what they are like to live with,,any ideas or advice and opinions appreciated,,regards jason p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'd love a 996 C4S but would worry about the IMS failure. A friend had the M coupe if I'm thinking of the right car.

Pretty decent round the Ring from what I can remember, if a bit weird looking. Didn't feel like a quality motor when I sat in it for a few miles though.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hiya,cheempeej and split p, need to have 2 cars,when missus is on duty she needs her car and same for me,if our job times clash,then i will use my weekender regardless of what day it is,, yeah,,i wouldnt touch a c4s up on miles that hadnt had the rms attended to,in some way shape or form as i wouldnt buy a pre89 without it having had a rebuild but the z3 m coupe intrigues me,,lot of power and love its arse,,"of the time" interior but are they easy to live with?,,seems a bit of a unknown quantity,,thanks,,jason p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What's the difference between the RMS and the IMS failure? Rear and intermediate perhaps?

In fact same friend had castrophic engine failure on his 996C2 due to one of the aforementioned.

He loved his Z3M, when it drive for some reason it reminded me of the ride from a Pug 205 ha ha. Take one for a spin though!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah,,failures on both seem pretty rare but i agree that you do tend to hear about the ones that did suffer with these problems,
i believe there are preventitive measures available now but getting one with a rebuild wouldnt put me off and there is a lot of choice out there presently,,the zm coupe seems to be one of those that you either love or hate,,could be one of those older cars that in the even near future could hold there money or even increase in time,,,jasonp

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm really not a bmw fan but the z3 m coupe is just one of those cars... If your not getting what I mean just watch this!! Check out this video on YouTube:

Some disgustingly irresponsible driving but maaaaan I want that car next to my R!!!!!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hiya,,exactly dougie,, there is something about its "ugliness" but hearing one and seeing one on the road,,i dont know quite how to explain it but i have to test drive one,,cheers jason p

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
yeah,,failures on both seem pretty rare but i agree that you do tend to hear about the ones that did suffer with these problems,
i believe there are preventitive measures available now but getting one with a rebuild wouldnt put me off and there is a lot of choice out there presently,,the zm coupe seems to be one of those that you either love or hate,,could be one of those older cars that in the even near future could hold there money or even increase in time,,,jasonp
ZM coupes are very under rated and rare, find a good one & you won't lose any £££'s

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers daz,,yeah was thinking about that and finding a "good one" will be half the work,,as i do bugger all mileage,,getting a good one and looking after her,could be a keeper for the future,,still totally undecided but know once i get this itch i will have to see it through lol,,cheers jason p

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi Jason not able to offer any thoughts on your dilemma but I was intrigued by your comment about having an S2- is it an Audi S2 you have?? Sorry for straying off track but are you selling it or just considering it? I love them and have always wanted one.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: SplitPersonality

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
He has a classic Porker mate, not Audi.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Reactions: SplitPersonality

·
1,243 Posts
Also with the breadvan the later ones had the s54 engine out of the e46 m3 in so if you can fine one of those your onto a winner. The only thing I don't like about them is the interior is very dated imo.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
@ Benji - No worries bud, he's packing a 944 if memory serves =)

@ Jon_R32 - Hear you on the interior, far prefer the mkIV R32.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hiya,,,sorry i took a little while to get back and thanks split p for covering my back,,,yeah.. i have a one owner 944s2 in guards red, had her for a few years now and have not ever considered letting her go until recently,,.
jon r32,,,hear you about the later engine,,makes sense and not worried if up on the miles a bit lol,,could live with the interiors as of the time,,
benji,,,,audi s2s are like hens teeth i believe and fetch good money,never even seen one i dont think,,
at the moment my heart tells me something like or a z3 mcoupe but my head kicks in with play "safe" and go with a .pre 89 porker or 996 with gt3 aerokit and wheels with any potential weak points attended to, ie the rads,,rms and ims etc,,sometimes i enjoy the" chase" more then the eventual purchase lol,,regards jason p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
My mate had a 3.4 996 C2 with aerokit, was a great car back in the day. But him and I both agree, they wouldn't be a good buy now. Has to be the C4S, TT or GT3...........

Of course you have to make sure the issues have been addressed. I've been thinking of a 996, but then he said what about a Cayman and avoid the issues.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah,,,i see where your coming from,,c4s or wait a little longer and get a 996 turbo and avoid the issues altogether,, or say sod it and go with the heart and get a z3 m coupe or clio v6 [2nd gen] or as you rightly stated a caymen s albeit first gen,,split p thats the thing its so tempting at the moment with even things like sl 55amgs going for silly money,,even with those running costs, so much car,do like the lines of a basic carrera with full gt bodykit and wheels though but ,,love the arse of the c4s and turbo,, need to start to drive a few and not go and buy on impulse ,,dont want to get stuck with something that i will get fed up with after 5 or 6 months and end up regretting getting rid of my s2,,cheers jason p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.