VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After building and owning the R32T for sometime and loving the 3.2 VR6 engine in turbo form, i always had the idea to putting 4 motion running gear and 3.2 VR6 turbo lump in a Polo 9N. I have been collecting parts for years primarily for the project and spares for the golf. After VW motorsport released the WRC back in 2011, I thought now look at them arches that is awesome! So the original idea evolved to the Polo 6R.

I started looking for a damaged 3 door 6R as a project base but at the time they were well out of my budget. A few years on, in October 2013 I acquired a Polo 6R 3 door in white with front end CAT D damage. This ticked a lot of boxes for the build and was at a reasonable price.

The initial build was delayed as i was struggling for workshop space and did not wish to leave the R32 outside through the winter. So next few months was spent building a workshop.
In the meantime managed to find a replica WRC bodypanels.

Workshop finally finished the Polo came in out the rain to be stripped down.

Shell is pretty much stripped down and under going the chop now.

Waiting to get the R32 back from the painters so i can get some measurements to progress with the front subframe and engine mounts, then it will be onto the tunnel.

Had to offer up a few panels to see what it looks like.

test fit of seats, plan to move them right back into the passenger foot well the same as WRC car to get the weight to the rear on the car. This will push the main hoop of the roll cage back away from the b pillar to clear the seats.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally got the R32 back from the paintshop and got some measurement to progress with the graft to the Polo.
After alot of head scratching which direction to go with the R32 subframe decided to keep the polo OEM front subframe mounting points and modify the R32 subframe to fit. This was for two reasons I would like to build a tubular subframe in future when i have more time once the car is built, also the R32 transplant can be reversed for a smaller 4pot TFSI if required in future.

Got the front mounts fab`d and welded this afternoon. Tomorrow I will move onto the rear mounts, seen as Hamish was kind enough to give me some 40mm T45 tube cut offs to fab the bosses from. Cheers Hamster!

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made the rear mounts today and drilled out the subframe and welded in place.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uncle Sam sent some more goodies today.

034 Motorsport MKiv dogbone mount is well sturdy and looks a nice bit of kit. Has a Aurora spherical bearing too.

Waiting for a set of VF mounts to arrive from a group buy on R32OC. I have machined a set of delrin bushes for the VF mounts. Then onto fabricating the engine mounts on the front chassis legs.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R32 lump only just fits. EXTREMELY tight. OEM crankside engine mount bracket wont fit so will have to fabricate one. Lucky i am using solid bushes on the engine mounts otherwise chassis legs would need to be notched a bit, which i dont real wont to do.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Managed to get a few hours on the polo this afternoon.
Offered up old R32 struts and LCA to check alignments again. Scratched head a lot on how to do the front turrets to add castor and upper legs for more clearance. need to take this into account before i can progress with the engine mounts as they will sit outboard slighty into the front arches.
Then set to remove more unnecessary metalwork ready to cut out the turrets.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for the VF engine mounts to turn up to finish off the engine mounts.

So turned to measure up for the tunnel. Added the cross supports again that were cut out with the seat runners. Once tunnel welded in will extend cross supports back to tunnel

Funny enough you could just get away with the OEM tunnel with the 4 motion, but will fabricate new tunnel for a cleaner look plus need tunnel flared up to bulkhead for a nice DP route from the turbo.

Also these arrived, will save some time making them. Also bought x4 replacement rod ends to use for the rear control arms which will need fabricated.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little update

Got the R32 in on the lift and made a little jig off the subframe to the turrets.

Set to the front inner wings/turrets and cut them out. Wish to replicate the Mk4 R32 geometry 8o castor opposed to 4o Polo 6R unless you have the gti model which has 5o i believe.

Scrap bin getting bigger....

Jig in place

Then bought the biggest billet of steel i every have! set to machining some WRC style turrets tops, originally i was going to use Dewitts WRC turrets but at £100 each for £400 for a set i though time to lose some time on the lathe.

Now time to work out and fabricate the inner wings

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a fair bit done on the polo this week. Notched out the upper front rails to allow deeper arches to be fabricated.

Fabricated some arches and welded in the wrc style turrets.

Had to leave out the rear half of the arches until i get the roll cage tied in and welded up, otherwise there would be no access, it limited as it is moving the turrets back for the extra castor.

The turrets main structural strength will come from the roll cage which will be multipoint nearly space frame.

Now onto tubbing out the rear arches and welding in the rear turrets. Cut out the 1/4 panels tonight will dismantle the rear arches tomorrow.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more cutting and cleaning done this week. Arches , spring perches, torsion beam brackets, rear seat brackets removed. Not a lot to show for it but more scrap, which is good on the light weighting!.

Removed and smoothed the chassis leg where there is normally a wedge shape for the spare tyre well. Creating more room for diff.

Also reused the rear seat clips as brake caliper tie off points for service work (WRC style)

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Working in Texas this month may have delayed progress.

But the build never stops! #partsacquisition

Upgrated valve train parts
alloy pulleys set, crank on BO
Poly bushes and Solidworks models for some very trick bespoke engine mounts, that will be machined once back in the UK. All curtious of an EXTREMELY helpful top bloke! Brad Campbell of Brewspeed performance. massive thank you for your help.

·
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little update. Not touched the project for 2 months but got a few days in this week. Rear arches/"tubs!" and turrets are now complete.

After a little bit of cardboard engineering, rolled and beaded the tubs.

·
83 Posts
"TALENTED" that is all I can say, will be watching this

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
Shit the bed...... My god man. Admiring the work very good Large cajones doing this.
Lots and lots of Kudos dude!!!!!.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts