VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My r32 sits on my drive most of the time hence I drive another car ... But I've noticed that when I let the handbrake down and drive off I hear a little cluck like the pad sticks to the disc alittle hence it can sit for 2 months at a time ...I really don't want my rear calapers to seize ... Do I carry on using the handbrake or do I leave the hand brake off and put it in 1st gear .... I have to do 1 or the other because my drive isn't flat .... It's alittle razed .... WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO ... Not being machanicly minded I was worried what it would do to my car leaving it in gear and would it damage it ....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Golfguy1983 said:
My r32 sits on my drive most of the time hence I drive another car ... But I've noticed that when I let the handbrake down and drive off I hear a little cluck like the pad sticks to the disc alittle hence it can sit for 2 months at a time ...I really don't want my rear calapers to seize ... Do I carry on using the handbrake or do I leave the hand brake off and put it in 1st gear .... I have to do 1 or the other because my drive isn't flat .... It's alittle razed .... WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO ... Not being machanicly minded I was worried what it would do to my car leaving it in gear and would it damage it ....
Mines the same change the rear discs and pads last week and the off side calliper was so stiff to wind back in . I've been leaving it in gear with the hand brake off but hasn't really made a difference . The wheel isn't really free to rotate gonna fit a new calliper this week with braided lines . Leaving it in gear won't harm anything just remember to dip your clutch when you start it . Sounds like the callipers may have started to seize a little . Not an expensive fix mate

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The funny think is I haven't drove it for a while and when I took the hand brake off today to pads dident stick ... Wonder y .... Any way I've put the car against bricks with no handbrake on . And the bricks stop the car moving .... And I've just left it in 1st gear

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not convinced it would make any difference whether you leave the handbrake on for any extended length of time or left it off for the same period. It's the lack of use that will accelerate the likelihood of seizure, not whether it's on or off.

The rear calipers on these cars are inherently poorly designed. Just one of the many quirks of the car!

ETA: If your first concern is the pads sticking to the discs due to the car standing, I'd agree with the chocking solution and leave the handbrake off.

Paul

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.