VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've settled on the MKV R32 as my next car but have a few questions before I drive one and subsequently put it in my garage.

I've heard a lot of grumbling about the Nav/Audio system and just want some clarification.
-Which unit is it (RNS or MFD)?
-I'm hearing that you can either play a CD or use the nav, but not both at the same time, so I assume you swap the nav disc out when you want to listen to a music cd?
-Is the nav CD or DVD based?
-Can you play the IPOD while using nav?
-Does it have Bluetooth for handfree?

Thank in advance.

·
1,084 Posts
I would say that if you are buying brand new, don't spec the Nav. The price is horrendous, you would be much better with an aftermarket one from Pioneer or Alpine, for similar price.

Not sure about your other Q's as I don't have a VW Nav unit.

Welcome to the site by the way :D Black is best!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The RNS 510 is a dvd based sat nav system. the dvd is loaded on to the unit's 30gb hard drive. Once that is done there is no problem playing cds whilst using the sat nav. You can also use the SD card slot to play mp3 or wmv files and if that is not enough you can put the contents of the SD card on to the hard drive and play the music off that!
An iPod can be plugged in to the aux socket. I find it easier to convert the aac format of the iPod into mp3 in itunes as you have more flexability with the SD card/hard drive.
It is bluetooth capable but you have to buy either the VW handsfree kit £300.00 fully fitted or Parrot does a kit that plugs in to the back of the unit so that you can use the phone button on the steering wheel. I think this costs about £150.00.
The Nav system is expensive but it is the best one VW have done. You can buy cheaper but the VW unit will help with the residual value.
Hope this helps.
Monkey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.