VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if this has been done at all?

I find the steering on my R to be a little vague at times and not very sharp, despite the KW's.

I guess it stems from coming from the S2000 and Evo which where much sharper/quicker turn to turn.

Wondering if anyone knows of a swap to a quicker rack being done?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can adjust the steering with vcds for assistance. If you lower the assistance, you should have more feedback. Also, the Superpro lower control arms supposed to be the bees knees for getting the turn in and feedback to perform better. (my next big mod) They are also lighter than the standard unit. I don't know about the availablility in the UK but they are about $540Aus on ebay depending on the seller.They are essentially a Passat arm with better bushes installed and are made of alloy.
Greg :)

·
19,389 Posts

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
You can also use a TTRS rack..................but lots of work & expense for little difference tbh.

Polybush everything you can and make sure your subframe bolts are tight as Mk5's have a tendancy to work them loose after a few years

·
Registered
117 Posts
I fitted the subframe locating washers from the USA. They tighten everything up from walking around. Now if I could just remember the company. They were very good as the post lost them and they resent another set.

·
5,496 Posts
Not heard of an alternative oem quick rack.

The level of power assistance can be decreased via vagcom, but it won't change the turns required lock to lock (ie quick rack).

Vague steering is a consequence of the electric power steering system for sure, but there are a few bolt on mods that can help feedback, if not speed of the rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts