VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out yesterday will be getting on company car scheme due to change of roles, havent got full details yet but it seems the R is over the limits on the emissions to have it as mine.

Not 100% sure how it would work but do people have the MK4 R32 as their company car? If so how did you wrangle it?

thanks
James

·
216 Posts
It depends on the scheme. Next month I will be getting a car allowanse which works out at about £5K a year with a fuel card and I can use any car. I thought about using my car but when taking into account the wear and tear i.e tyres etc and the depreciation due to adding miles I have opted for buying a van:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill have to check on monday but been told by colleagues that the scheme has some cap on the co2 emissions of existing cars?

Will have to see, i have heard that the fuel card thing can work expensive and have been advised to sell car and get a company one but i dont fancy selling it yet!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
281 Posts
What about keeping the R as a toy and let the company pay for your work horse, or is that not an option?

·
3,281 Posts
You'll get taxed to hell with an R as a company car fella. Can you not opt out and claim mileage?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure as if its true that they set an emissions max on cars then i might struggle, unless that only applies to company cars they provide rather than using your own?

I could look at getting company diesel workhorse and keep R for weekend use but do i want 13k worth of car just sitting in garage for weekend use? Insurance should come down as less miles and only for social use, but id have to pay both the company and R insurance costs. Unless i opt out and take the money option but as Alexis said above do i want to put the extra miles on the R, grrr

·
216 Posts
jimmyca69 said:
ill have to check on monday but been told by colleagues that the scheme has some cap on the co2 emissions of existing cars?

Will have to see, i have heard that the fuel card thing can work expensive and have been advised to sell car and get a company one but i dont fancy selling it yet!
You do get taxed on the fuel card (only business miles) but you can claim it back at the end of the tax year and also add a few miles on:proud:

·
199 Posts
I was given a car allowance from my company so i went and bought an R. Everyone said to go for a diesel but i just couldn't face it!
I also get a fuel card for business and private mileage but will claim the tax back on the business mileage. Depending on the mileage you will be doing it can be expensive, i've done 20k miles in it since last August so two services and one set of tyres so far with another set due in about 2 months time i would imagine.
Some people think i am mad from a cost point of view but to be honest driving the R everyday makes it all worth while, especially when rinsing merc and BMW company car drivers who thhink they are quick and dont like being overtaken by a girl!

·
1,184 Posts
SLB said:
Some people think i am mad from a cost point of view but to be honest driving the R everyday makes it all worth while, especially when rinsing merc and BMW company car drivers who thhink they are quick and dont like being overtaken by a girl!
:xDLOL Good work!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, I've just opted out of my company car scheme after 10 years - over the years what started as a real benefit has now become a complete burden and under the aegis of the environmentalist lobby and any future governments, it can only become worse - hammered on tax for emmissions and fuel (couldn't claim back tax as the car was fully funded) for anything worth driving. My tax code was K686 when I had a WRX! I finally took the allowance and not only can I drive an R, I've got cash in the bank at last. Back of the net, and up yours Gordon Bland!

·
259 Posts
I don't think that having a company car is a lucrative as it once was, sure it's good not having to insure it and pay for services, tax etc, but you don't half get taxed for the privaledge these days.

I have always taken the allowance, sometimes you run the risk of high mileage but on the other hand you can end up working 10 minutes away from home. With having a fule card to i don't really care about what petrol i put in and where i fill up. Although be warned if you do opt out and buy a high performance car your tax rebate at the end of the year ain't going to be that great especially if you haven't done very many miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well asked around today seems that there is a cap on emissions for cars used in the policy being your own or new ones :( also they do offer the allowance but the miles i would do would seriously de-value the R within short time and i would also have to cover extra insurance due to business miles.

So im left with keeping R and getting on scheme, selling R and getting car on scheme or opting out and using allowance on the R but seriously damaging resale value. Im confused now :(

·
190 Posts
It sounds like you are stuck betweem a rock and a very hard place. Not good.

How long did you intend keeping the R32 for?? As if you have no intentions of selling i would opt out personally and enjoy the car, after all altho you will lose money come sales time it not going to be a massive amount and you have actually had the benefit of using the car far more than you would have.

Way i see it is would i rather get a boring Vectra/Mondeo or be paid to use the R32, bit of a no brainer really

·
199 Posts
[quote name='jimmyca69']the miles i would do would seriously de-value the R within short time and i would also have to cover extra insurance due to business miles.QUOTE]

I think the extra insurance on mine for business mileage was about £100 on top. What sort of mileage per year are you going to be doing anyway?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gave up my company car 4 years ago because of punitive tax, as I understand it you only pay tax on the benefit in kind ie private use, so get something nice like a diesel Golf as a company car, don't use it privately and keep the R for personal pleasure. I think the same applies to a fuel card, you only pay tax if the company pays for private fuel.
Now I've got a new R32 and can claim back my company mileage at 40p a mile, but as I only do around 100 miles a year on business I dont bother lol!

·
1,580 Posts
iluvkefalonia said:
I gave up my company car 4 years ago because of punitive tax, as I understand it you only pay tax on the benefit in kind ie private use, so get something nice like a diesel Golf as a company car, don't use it privately and keep the R for personal pleasure. I think the same applies to a fuel card, you only pay tax if the company pays for private fuel.
Now I've got a new R32 and can claim back my company mileage at 40p a mile, but as I only do around 100 miles a year on business I dont bother lol!
Wish this was true, but i think the tax man would only accept this if you left the car at work and never took it home. If you take it home they will see it as private use and you will pay the full tax.

This is very complex subject and the rules are very different if you are on paye or have your own business and if you work for a compant their rules and agreements with the tax office will come into play as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry your'e quite right, you still have to use your own car to get back and forth to work - I'd forgotten but if it's an R I guess you'd at least still be smiling?

·
1,580 Posts
Yeah but i would def just take the allowance and put it towards financing the R. If you end up putting loads of miles on it well it will take it okay and then its just a good excuse to get another one sooner !

·
23 Posts
I opted for the Car allowance of around 4 and 1/2 K. First had GT TDI 130 then opted for R32. May cost in the long run, servicing, tyres etc but take the rough with the smooth. I get to drive my R every day if required. It was either that or take the company VW Golf TDI 90bph. No brianer really!:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts