VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thought this might be of interest to someone...

I have a Golf Rallye, it is the ex-SNS tuning demo car. It looked like this:

5 years ago I relocated to Saudi Arabia, and had it shipped out here, the only issue being A/C, or lack of...
I thought this would be the A/C capital of the world, and it might be, but finding someone to do an A/C implant was impossible.

Instead I decided to run a supercharged R32 lump and drivetrain & A/C - I bought a Red mk5 5-door 2008 R32 with 60k km on the clock for a reasonable price - R32's aren't appreciated here, locals find them too understated. Don't have a photo unfortunatley, but it was stock bar the wheels - it had 19" Axis 5 spoke wheels.

I also decided that the box arches need a little flaring and the bumpers were too big so I got a guy to do a photo chop - obviously a matter of taste, but here's my attempt at "improving" the lines of a Rallye..

Inspiration was drawn from these - I can't remember where I found these on the net - they are not mine...

And then I came up with this:

And:

I am not an engineer, or technically minded, and no good at DIY anything, so I sent it off to get the engine, drivetrain, dash components, brakes, wheels transplanted. Now what should have been a Rallye shell housing an R32 drivetrain has become an R32 chassis with the skin of a Rallye welded to it.

At this stage in the project, I may well have had both cars written off for me, who knows?? Will wait & see....

Will stick up some pics tonight once I've uploaded them to the net.

Cheers
H

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found the photos on the PC here at work, so uploaded them....brace yourself it gets ugly...

I put my chances of success very low, at the moment, but we will see how it progresses, its been stuck at this point for a while now as suspension needs to be shortened beyond the kits on the market

Cheers
H

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Serious project! Impressed at that workshop the work is being done in!! I think i imagined it being something like a backstreet shack lol.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Custom suspension? You've got amazing vision for this to turn out I wouldn't have the balls!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, hopefully get a result on this stuff soon, its been with them for 18 months, the suspension turrets on the red one were chopped/shortened significantly, firewall trimmed to fit too.

Issues around the suspension, & fuel tank are holding it up. The stock anti roll bar connects to the bottom of the front shocks & they couldn't find an alternative. Right now the car is sitting on fully collapsed shocks, i.e. springs removed. I've suggested they connect the anti-roll bar or sway bar at another point on the hub asembly, and give me an aluminium tank instead of the stock plastic one - the fuel cap/filler will be moved upwards on the C-pillar. The end game is to have the front chin spoiler (or what ever its called) 8 cm off the ground without making the bumper skin deeper then stock.

The front & rear bumpers have been fabricated in metal - the flat bit before the bumper curves downwards have been removed - so its like the stock ones have been pulled inwards towards the car- the overall shape remains similar to stock along with the positioning of the various vents etc. Ultimately they will be reproduced in fibreglass or something of that nature.

One compromise will be the bonnet - will need an unsightly bulge there - working on some ideas for that

The arches will be flared but follow the same overall stock lines in terms of how they come out from the body and then angle down to just cover the tyre tread, the enitre line that runs down the side of the car will be moved upwards to accomodate the 19" wheels. I stuck 3" spacers on the back to see where it lands in the last photo, but unlikely to go that extreme. Will order wheels to fit once the fabrication is completed.

Worried about alignment of the chassis to the body at the moment!!

Cheers
H

·
3,611 Posts
Dam ! My fave two vdubs combined !

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
That first photoshop is a win for me! second one, the aggressive arch lines fight with the rest of the car, deffo not for me.

By the sounds of your follow up post you've realised that.

Will be very interesting to see it finished, hopefully there'll be some weight saving on the agenda too? So it weighs more like a Mk2!!!!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That first photoshop is a win for me! second one, the aggressive arch lines fight with the rest of the car, deffo not for me.

By the sounds of your follow up post you've realised that.

Will be very interesting to see it finished, hopefully there'll be some weight saving on the agenda too? So it weighs more like a Mk2!!!!
Good spot - the photoshop's show an angled arch line - lower at the front, higher at the back, its the masking taped line on the side of the car, but there was just too much arch/metal above the rear wheel, so intention is to shift that entire line up horizontally just enough to allow the suspension to work, and keep the overall shape of the box arches stock - just more flared and starting a bit higher. The door will reskinned to match.

I asked for the rear quarter window to tie up to the rear window line. Not sure how they are going to smooth the roof line where the rubber goes, expecially around the door frame, the idea is to run the weather strips round the inside of the door rather then the door frame.

Weight is on the agenda, the only things going back in the car are 2 light weight sports seats, the mk2 dash (with mk5 components) & front door cards. It's difficult to describe what I want to the guys here and there's a language barrier even thought the main guy at the garage speaks English (& is a top bloke), so a fair bit will be hit or miss.

·
361 Posts
oh my what an amazing project cant wait to see this develop big balls to do this amigo

·
3,242 Posts
Yes balls to do it,
Yes creativeness is a underststement,
Yes i am going to follow this thread and see how well it goes,

Regards
Vrt

Sent from my I-Phone

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Echo the above - great project and hats off to you ????

Saw a similar project on WCC, they took a new model 2012 mustang removed the body and managed to swap it over using an old tang classic body after a lot of fabrication!

G

·
good luck, looks very interesting< i love the rallye and add a R32 lump just awesome. I actually quick like what you have come up with on the drawings.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your comments...
have never thought of myself as creative! Just pinching things I like from loads of different cars!

Update: Bit of a set back, the project has not progressed for a few months and my contact at the workshop has been replying less & less frequently to now not at all. I'm told by the workshop manager that there has been a change in ownership and the new owners are not willing to continue this job.

Car will be transported back to me, will check nothing has gone missing. I'm not paying for anything more then the tear down and welding work, so assuming the welding work is as good as they tell me it is, its just a case of getting the engine up and running, dropping in some custom suspension, popping a roll cage in and then a heap of cosmetic work (fenders etc - they've actually fabricated everything already in terms of body panels, front & rear bumper etc) will try and get them to chuck it in as compensation for time wasted. Otherwise will get those bits done from fresh.

The above is obviously an understatement.

Will post up photos of current state when I get the car back. May need to call in the reserves.....

Cheers
H

·
196 Posts
That is so cool wow

My hat comes of to you mate

Keep the pics comin please

1 - 20 of 31 Posts