VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to post about this for a while...

When you see a fellow .:R driver, particularly in your Mark, what is the etiquette you should follow?!

Some people I drive past give an enthusiastic flash and wave combo, whilst others give the 'what the feck are you waving at' look. If we were all driving about in anonymous rep mobiles then fair enough, a wee wave probably isn't necessary, but that's not really the case. You tend not to see a whole lot of R's on the road on a regular basis so surely you warrant a wave or a flick of the lights, regardless of if you're on this forum or not? Maybe it's just me!

Opinions please...

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Well, I have seen some R's about on the roads,

I have flashed,waved,bibed etc when spotted in advance any R32 drivers.

Even spotted a mk5 on the M11 on my way to Brands Hatch, he/she was heading towards Cambridge and it was to late to wave as I assume we were both doing 70 ish.

(My GF moaned as I once slowed to a crawling pace to wave , bib to a R32 driver, .......)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
If I see another R regardless of mark i'll flash and wave.

I have noticed once that another R owner dropped his car by 2 gears and boot the engine to give the "blaaaaaa" of the exhaust too. Well impressive way of saying "hi"

·
490 Posts
my personal experience is with a MkIV, I always, always get a smile and a wave or light flash back. With a MkV, 50% of the time I get a blank stare.

G

·
I wave too but recently I've had little response back. I see teh same R in the moring and evening on my commute - I've waved at him so many times without response - I've given up on him now.

·
402 Posts
goodboy1451 said:
my personal experience is with a MkIV, I always, always get a smile and a wave or light flash back. With a MkV, 50% of the time I get a blank stare.
I have this same problem. There are only 2 other mk4's I have seen in Bristol and both are driven by older women (but I still wave!!)

As for the many mk5's I see, only one has waved back and the majority give me a dirty look! (Think most around me are company cars)

Surprisingly, my R does seem to get quite a lot of admiring glances from the ST boys??

·
5,616 Posts
I usually give a thumbs up or wave but try and see if they have actually spotted me first before making a move!

As R32Dub said, we do seem to get a few admiring looks from the ST boys, and I've also noticed the Type R lads have a good old look! I've seen a couple of Megane R26's but personally I don't like them, and the drivers don't seem interested in the R32!

·
Banned
229 Posts
I always wave at another R no matter if it's iv or v but perhaps it's a bike thing where most give a nod(other than the fanny Hardly Dangerous ****'s) who prob can't take thier hand off the bars in case they lose control....

·
389 Posts
I'm a bit over friendly sometimes, Lol! I tend to flash the lights and wave at any nice (and tasteful) VAG car, 50% of the time there a fellow enthusiast and wave back, but the other times there like "WTF!?", usually a Skoda, SEAT or Audi as they don't get why I'm flashing...

·
1,957 Posts
I'll always give other .:R's a wave apart from one guy in a DBP MkIV who I often see going to work who I'd waved at a few times but got ignored.

·
.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser
1,746 Posts
I've never waved at an R owner and have never recieved one. To be honest I'd never even considered it. Plus most of the R owners I see are 35+ and probably wouldn't be interested in that kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Personally i always wave at the Mk4's , and i used to wave at Mk5's however as mentioned just received strange looks lol.

·
595 Posts
awww if I saw you i'd wave

and i'm over 35
and in a v

:biggrin:

·
777 Posts
The Mk4's I've come across are usually quite friendly and I give a wave/thumbs up or a flash of the lights and get a friendly response.

I've come across about five or six Mk5's and have got nothing back from them, not even an acknowledgment of existence. These one's i've come across are Often driven by 45+ yr old men/women who probably know bugger all about R32's. Shame really, dilution of the brand.

·
.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser
1,746 Posts
I'm 22 (23 next week :( ) and drive a MKV :grin: Maybe I'll wave from now on then?

Isn't there a web page on how to do the 'MG owners wave' somewhere? :itsme: lol

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
psg001 said:
I've come across about five or six Mk5's and have got nothing back from them, not even an acknowledgment of existence. These one's i've come across are Often driven by 45+ yr old men/women who probably know bugger all about R32's. Shame really, dilution of the brand.
Pretty much sums up the majority of the MKV owners around my way (with the exception of Berto and a TR driver). Most are driven by the older generation. Even had a few youngsters who don't bother.

I remember when I got my Mini when I was 18 and got a Mini Etiquette pack which encouraged you to wave, flash etc. For the first couple of years it used to happen all the time.

Maybe we should have an R32OC version?!

·
287 Posts
There are a few MK4 R32's owners I see round my way who'll always wave. One is a member on here. I saw some middle aged guy in an Indigo Blue R and flashed my lights at him, I was left hanging...

To be honest if I see another MK4 I will always try and acknowledge them and see if I get anything back, I don't usually!

I tend not to bother with the MK5's unless a particular yummy mummy is driving!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts